The Viz Parodies

Discuss or comment on anything relating to this long-running adult comic that started back in 1979.

Moderator: AndyB

Steve Henderson

Re: The Viz Parodies

Post by Steve Henderson »

You know how sad I am Alex!

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

patpending wrote: Gilbert Ratchet. Timothy Tester (though not in look).
I'm pretty sure Gilbert Ratchet is a spoof of Screwy Driver from The Dandy.

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Andy Birkenhead

Post by Andy Birkenhead »

Did Gilbert Rachet ever have the tagline "The junior doyen of D.I.Y." ??

Steve Henderson

I have not come across that, its not a regular thing if it is from Gilbert. Davey Jones tends to put a large introductions in the style of old comics.

patpending

Post by patpending »

Lew Stringer wrote:
patpending wrote: Gilbert Ratchet. Timothy Tester (though not in look).
I'm pretty sure Gilbert Ratchet is a spoof of Screwy Driver from The Dandy.

Lew
yes, that's closer in fact. That's more the look.

The path of a youngster who is always building daft machines is a well-trodden one - and one which an unMenaced, unhomophobiad Dennis seems fated to follow!

patpending

Post by patpending »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:you're more than welcome, Pat! I felt that VIZ teetered into somewhat dubious territory a few years back, when it started introducing black-as-the-ace-of-spades type humour: ie: a macabre satire featuring those arch do-badders HAROLD SHIPMAN and FRED WEST. This reeked of desperation...perhaps circulation figures were dipping at that point.....

It has to be said, though, that VIZ's achievement of hitting the one million mark around 1990 was no mean feat [especially considering it cost a princely pound at the time: fairly expensive].

The comic often gave great value though, with much detail crammed into pages of often 5 rows of panels.

I remember one non-fan mate of mine saying that 'the drawings are cr*p' but I felt some of the artwork was pretty good [the geezer who draws most of the covers is very good]----I'm sure someone on here can name him.....

here's an eggzample of his work:

I can spot the aforementioned ROLF HARRIS cat above.
strangely it seems that feline has swapped costumes with Luvvie Darling and is therefore easy to spot! (OK his fur was totally black!)

In that picture it's interesting to see who you can spot when it's so small. Rolf Harris the Cat is clear to see, as is the Cockney W..e know who...otherwise the Parkie by his snarl, and Cowboy Builder by his hat!

Steve Henderson

I think the pictures from Viz 150 in fact Im pretty sure it is. There was a competition to name them all, wonder if anyones feeling clever enough to have a go? I did and I think I got 138 or something, sent it off and won nowt!

suebutcher

Post by suebutcher »

I didn't really get Davey Jones's bizarre one-offs until I read "The Rotating-Chin Men" (a jet-propelled criminal band with deadly artificial chins intent on ruining the Coronation by squirting body fluids at the Queen) and realized that it owed a lot to the Dandy adventure strips.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Biffa Bacon always my favourite- "Face Punching Fun!"
A Face unclouded by thought.

suebutcher

Post by suebutcher »

Bully Beef out of the Dandy is probably the inspiration for Biffa, with a bit of Dennis vs. Walter in some of the strips. Mutha and Fatha are completely Viz, though.

Who does Drunken Bakers? I hated it at first, but now I've completely changed my mind. It's up there with Samuel Beckett!