Jumping Frog

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

babington

Jumping Frog

Post by babington »

Does anyone know if there is a decent photo of the Dandy No. 2 jumping frog free gift on the web, or could post one? Compal auctions has a tiny picture but it's hard to see any details. I'm trying to find out where the frogs were made!

thanks!

Al
Sir!

Re: Jumping Frog

Post by Al »

This is the only picture of it that I have come across. It looks like it lost part of its right leg in battle at some stage.

I haven't got an underbelly shot of it, so I cannot see where it was made.
Attachments
Dandy - No.2 - Frog b.jpg

babington

Post by babington »

Great! thank you!

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Phil Shrimpton has a great couple of photos of one (Top and Under-sides) in his "Jump Froggy Jump" section of his `Dandy and Beano` collectors newsletter No 3 Worth checking out.
A Face unclouded by thought.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

That's the one Digi! Great article!
A Face unclouded by thought.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Can someone assure me this was not a free gift with the Dandy? I presume The Dandy written on it refers to the person who would have carried it in the wild west. Guns were more likely to have been given away with boy's papers.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-toy- ... ect=mobile

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Hi Steve, this is definitely not a Dandy comic free gift. As you rightly point out these Derringer pistols we're often the easily concealed weapon of choice of the nattily dressed, dandified gamblers who frequented Mississippi River boats to whom style and the cut of their clothes meant a great deal. The Dandy comic did give away a Red Indian bow and two arrows though with issue No 39 in Aug 1938.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

It reminds me of a wild west story where an eastern dude tries to impress some locals in a tough western saloon by showing them his Derringer. One of them says "If you shoot me with that thing, and I find out about it, there'll be trouble".

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

stevezodiac wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 17:31
It reminds me of a wild west story where an eastern dude tries to impress some locals in a tough western saloon by showing them his Derringer. One of them says "If you shoot me with that thing, and I find out about it, there'll be trouble".
All I have been able to think of all the way through this thread is of Prefab Sprout's hit "The King of Rock 'n' Roll"!

And now with that quote Steve, that has to be one of the Bob Hope 'Paleface' movies.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I got the quote from one of the issues from my vast collection of real West type magazines.

Don't forget Bob Hope's other westerns Fancy Pants and Alias Jesse James which had the famous faces appear in the final shootout:

The gunfight scene at the end of the film features a number of cameo appearances by movie and television personalities. Though none are identified by character name in the film, each actor is dressed to resemble the iconic western character he or she played, and they each speak dialogue that echoes their famous catchphrases or identifiable habits:

Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Gary Cooper as Will Kane from High Noon
Roy Rogers (as himself)
Jay Silverheels as Tonto
Hugh O'Brian as Wyatt Earp
James Arness as Marshal Matt Dillon
Ward Bond as Major Seth Adams from Wagon Train (final film)
Gail Davis as Annie Oakley
Bing Crosby, dressed in western regalia, also makes an appearance at the gunfight's climax
Scatman Crothers as a train porter

Following the theatrical release of the film, some later versions did not include all the cameos due to myriad legal problems with the rights, but Hope's clout at the time was so great that he managed to gather a dazzling array of screen cowboys for the original. The 2007 "MGM Movie Legends" DVD release of the film includes all of the cameos.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

As a youngster, one of my favourite TV series was 'The Cisco Kid'. It starred Duncan Renaldo as Cisco and Leo Carrillo as his sidekick, Pancho. Pancho was such a coward, and virtually at the end of every story, when the going was getting tough, he would whine, "Lez Go, Cisco!!"

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Memory didn't serve me too well in my last post. Probably due to his not having a particularly strong grasp of English, Pancho always said, "Lez went, Cisco!".