What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Hawkeye

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by Hawkeye »

Adam Eterno wrote:I had the "What, more comics!?" look this morning after the Postman had been.... :lol:
I love to see that sight on my doormat. I sometimes don't open them right away, I like to get my jobs done first (dogs walked, maybe lunch prepared or hoovering done) then open them slowly and carefully making sure there's no bits of sellotape going to stick onto any of the comics. Great stuff, I love it !!!

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Two batches of Football PSMs will be winging their way to me from Kenton Road. The annoying thing is that I am buying them from a charity shop that I always checked every time I went past and they rarely had anything for me!

Now that I am living over 400 miles away, they seem to always have ruddy comics for sale! :lol: :lol:
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

colcool007 wrote:Two batches of Football PSMs will be winging their way to me from Kenton Road. The annoying thing is that I am buying them from a charity shop that I always checked every time I went past and they rarely had anything for me! Now that I am living over 400 miles away, they seem to always have ruddy comics for sale!
I do hope you added a suitably generous donation to the charity, Col, in addition to the cost of the PSMs and their p&p costs. Where is Kenton Road anyway?

SID

Post by SID »

big bad bri wrote:4 volumes of the James Bond omnibus newspaper strip reprints only £2.99 each in forbidden planet sale.
Good buys. I love the books. :)
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Hawkeye wrote:
Adam Eterno wrote:I had the "What, more comics!?" look this morning after the Postman had been.... :lol:
I love to see that sight on my doormat. I sometimes don't open them right away, I like to get my jobs done first (dogs walked, maybe lunch prepared or hoovering done) then open them slowly and carefully making sure there's no bits of sellotape going to stick onto any of the comics. Great stuff, I love it !!!
Funny you say that as it's a really enjoyable ritual for me too. The postie only delivered them 15 minutes before I set off to London for the day yesterday and I didnt get back until 2am this morning so after clearing a backlog of work this morning, I took a very enjoyable hour out opening my parcels as well as another 3 delivered this morning. It's like being a kid at Christmas!

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Phoenix wrote:
colcool007 wrote:Two batches of Football PSMs will be winging their way to me from Kenton Road. The annoying thing is that I am buying them from a charity shop that I always checked every time I went past and they rarely had anything for me! Now that I am living over 400 miles away, they seem to always have ruddy comics for sale!
I do hope you added a suitably generous donation to the charity, Col, in addition to the cost of the PSMs and their p&p costs. Where is Kenton Road anyway?
Harrow and it runs from there to the A5.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

colcool007 wrote:Harrow and it runs from there to the A5.
Thank you, Col. I must admit that I don't recall ever visiting Harrow, although having located it on page 28 of my Great Britain Road Atlas 2004, I have noticed two things. First, it is not all that far away from Barnet, where you used to live, and secondly it is very much closer to a town called Kingsbury, whose imaginary counterpart was the setting in THE ROVER for the 1949/50 text serial Nick Smith's Ragged Rovers. The one thing I haven't yet spotted is the A5. I can see the A1, the A3, even the A40, where Perivale was frequently my exit point as I made for Ealing Broadway. At that time I would always park on Ealing Common, where there were no parking charges, and take the tube into central London to go about whatever business had taken me there, almost certainly buying story papers. Fun times, great days. Who needs the A5 anyway? Perhaps someone has pinched it. :lol:

SID

Post by SID »

Got a good deal off eBay for a full year of The Topper (1973).

My childhood beckons. :settee:
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Got most of the free comic book day stuff inc the 2 dr who covers signed by the writer and artist and the 2000ad signed by 10 of the staff who worked on that one

SID

Post by SID »

SID wrote:
big bad bri wrote:4 volumes of the James Bond omnibus newspaper strip reprints only £2.99 each in forbidden planet sale.
Went to Forbidden Planet today and bought Volume 6 which I didn't have.

SID

Post by SID »

Also from Newcastle Forbidden Planet, I got a load of free comics (Free Comic Day) including 2000AD Regened. Great read.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

SID wrote:
SID wrote:
Went to Forbidden Planet today and bought Volume 6 which I didn't have.
they only had 4 vols so ill probably have to pay full price for the 2 missing ones vols 4 & 5

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

My haul from FCBD 2018 was Ian Hislop's Battle For Britain which was published in 1987. In the same shop, I eventually tracked down a copy of the Dudley D Watkins' version of Kidnapped.

I then visited one of our LCS and picked up a couple of FBCD freebies and did my bit to support them by buying the hardback release of Hookjaw. I will let you know what it is like when I get it away from Karen!

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

2000AD FCBD edition was all gone from the Belfast FPI (again) but I did get:
Bongo Free for all
Comicscene issue 0
Barrier (by Brian K Vaughan, Marcos Martin and Muntsa Vicente)

I could have picked up Rok of the Reds issue 1, but I've had my copy for two years :)

While I was there, I got Judge Dredd Year 1 and Year 2, and Welcome to Nu Earth.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

looking through my bags i got a few all star batman 1 .harley quinn 25th anniversary special and venom 150 fp variant covers chucked in for free.so a good day