Latest Comic Highlight

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

SID

Latest Comic Highlight

Post by SID »

What has been your recent comic based highlight?

I don't necessarily mean buying a comic/special/annual. Instead possibly reading a comic strip, going through a group of annuals, watching a programme about a comic, going to a comic event. Basically anything that relates to comics in one form or another.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

SID

Re: Latest Comic Highlight

Post by SID »

Bank Holiday weekend, I went up to Newcastle's Forbidden Planet for Free Comic Day.

This weekend just gone; I have been reading some stories from a set of Black Bob strips that I just got my hands on. Fantastic read.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

I've just finished the Definitive collection of Charley's War Boy soldier......loved it! Haven't read it for 30 years. I was upgraded on the train to London last week to 1st Class and enjoyed the bemused faces of the other passengers as I pulled the book out of my bag to read!

SID

Post by SID »

Adam Eterno wrote:I've just finished the Definitive collection of Charley's War Boy soldier......loved it! Haven't read it for 30 years. I was upgraded on the train to London last week to 1st Class and enjoyed the bemused faces of the other passengers as I pulled the book out of my bag to read!
What a brilliant scenario, Adam.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Adam Eterno wrote:I've just finished the Definitive collection of Charley's War Boy soldier......loved it! Haven't read it for 30 years. I was upgraded on the train to London last week to 1st Class and enjoyed the bemused faces of the other passengers as I pulled the book out of my bag to read!
when i go forbidden planet or 30th century i always take my comics out on train and read em or look through em lol .i doubt most of the people on the trains i'm on in london know what comics are

SID

Post by SID »

Still sitting in the garden, reading my Black Bob stories. Absolutely brilliant. :D

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

I've been really happy with the Rebellion girls comics reprint news but even more so when I was asked to write the introduction to the Bella at the Bar book :) And also very happy with the reception of the Fleetway Files which has my article on girls comics in it. I feel like girls comics are really starting to have their day!
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

That's excellent news Comixminx. Now all we need is for Rebellion to start a regular girls' comic with new material. It'd be fascinating to see a grown-up Bella with a daughter of her own, rather like the Spanish continuation of Patty's World.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

comixminx wrote:I've been really happy with the Rebellion girls comics reprint news but even more so when I was asked to write the introduction to the Bella at the Bar book :) And also very happy with the reception of the Fleetway Files which has my article on girls comics in it. I feel like girls comics are really starting to have their day!
well done comicminx i look forward to reading both

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

philcom55 wrote:That's excellent news Comixminx. Now all we need is for Rebellion to start a regular girls' comic with new material. It'd be fascinating to see a grown-up Bella with a daughter of her own, rather like the Spanish continuation of Patty's World.
Yes, wouldn't that be cool! Bella could reminisce with her daughter about her old adventures, while her daughter has her own new adventures (hopefully with a bit more family support than Bella got!).
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

big bad bri wrote:
comixminx wrote:I've been really happy with the Rebellion girls comics reprint news but even more so when I was asked to write the introduction to the Bella at the Bar book :) And also very happy with the reception of the Fleetway Files which has my article on girls comics in it. I feel like girls comics are really starting to have their day!
well done comicminx i look forward to reading both
Thanks Bri, hope you enjoy your reading!

SID

Post by SID »

I read your article, comixminx. Interesting read. I already got the two Misty books and will be getting the other Girl-based books.

My comic highlight for this week was reading the Fleetway Files. I'm always interested in the background stories of Fleetway/IPC.

David McDonald

Post by David McDonald »

Great news comixminx, your site is one of the best on British comics. Your articles aren't too shabby either :D

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

Many thanks for the kind replies!

SID

Post by SID »

I recently started collecting The Topper Books from 1964 until 1994 and being reading the Whizzers From Oz strips. Loved them.