How many issues of Charley's War are there?

Buster, Whizzer and Chips, Whoopee, Wham, Smash, you name it!

Moderator: AndyB

Richard S.

How many issues of Charley's War are there?

Post by Richard S. »

just double-checking something here....

The 10 volumes of Charley's War reprinted 282 episodes of CW

BUT

The Fleetway companion has CW [WW1 story only] appearing from 06/01/79 - 26/01/85; this is 2212 days or 316 weeks - so CW could have run for 316 weeks but I'm guessing there must have been a few skip weeks if there were only 282 episodes for Titan to reprint (OR Titan missed 34 episodes - which is the equivalent of one whole extra volume)

Can anyone help? Thanks
my blog: http://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.co.uk/
facebook: Richard Sheaf
facebook group: Boys adventure comic blog
Twitter: @richardandsheaf
Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/BoysAdventureComics/

philcom55

Re: How many issues of Charley's War are there?

Post by philcom55 »

I think there were a few periods when Joe Colquhoun was ill so they either featured reprints or put the strip on hold rather than using a different artist.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

They were also a few weeks when the comic was not published due to industrial action so that will account for a few of your missing weeks.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Richard S.

Post by Richard S. »

All good points, I have no reason to doubt that Titan missed any episodes in their reprint volumes

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

I've read volumes 1 and 2 of the definitive collection recently released by Rebellion. I will of course be buying #3 shortly. I can't seem to find out how many episodes are printed in these 3 books as I'd hate to think I'd missed some!

I don't believe that the WWII storyline is in volume 3 so I'll have to buy that somewhere.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Adam Eterno wrote:I've read volumes 1 and 2 of the definitive collection recently released by Rebellion. I will of course be buying #3 shortly. I can't seem to find out how many episodes are printed in these 3 books as I'd hate to think I'd missed some!

I don't believe that the WWII storyline is in volume 3 so I'll have to buy that somewhere.
i dont think they have reprinted the wwII stories have been reprinted by titan or rebellion .but rebellion should release a vol 4
Last edited by big bad bri on 13 Jul 2018, 14:31, edited 1 time in total.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

big bad bri wrote:
Adam Eterno wrote:I've read volumes 1 and 2 of the definitive collection recently released by Rebellion. I will of course be buying #3 shortly. I can't seem to find out how many episodes are printed in these 3 books as I'd hate to think I'd missed some!

i dont think they have reprinted the wwII storiesw have been reprinted by titan or rebellion .but rebellion should release a vol 4
They haven't printed it in vol 3 and so far they have said they aren't printing a vol 4. I must ask Geoff which issues of Battle I need for the post Pat Mills stories

CharleyBourne

Post by CharleyBourne »

Adam Eterno wrote:
big bad bri wrote:

i dont think they have reprinted the wwII storiesw have been reprinted by titan or rebellion .but rebellion should release a vol 4
They haven't printed it in vol 3 and so far they have said they aren't printing a vol 4. I must ask Geoff which issues of Battle I need for the post Pat Mills stories
I think there is some legal reason why the WWII story has not been re-printed but i could be wrong. I think the story starts pretty soon after the WWI sorry ended in battle. I only have a few issues with it in. It didn't last to long and we then went back to re-prints of the WWI story right up till when the Eagle went to its glossy format in the mid 90's. Both the re-prints of Johnny Red and Charley's War in the Eagle where cut short so it not a complete re-print of the whole story.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I think the WW2 run ended with Charley returning home from Dunkirk, after which they went to reprints, starting again at the very beginning. In my opinion the scripts (by Scott Goodall?) weren't a patch on Pat Mills' - possibly because of an editorial decision to make the series into more of a 'traditional' war story - but Joe Colquhoun's art was as good as ever.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

CharleyBourne wrote:I think there is some legal reason why the WWII story has not been re-printed but i could be wrong. I think the story starts pretty soon after the WWI sorry ended in battle. I only have a few issues with it in. It didn't last to long and we then went back to re-prints of the WWI story right up till when the Eagle went to its glossy format in the mid 90's. Both the re-prints of Johnny Red and Charley's War in the Eagle where cut short so it not a complete re-print of the whole story.
Hi Charley, there wasn't any legal reason. It was just that they got panned so badly by the readers at the time and few except us old timers are interested in those episodes so it does not make any economic sense to reprint them.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I'm not sure but I thought Joe Colquhoun's health was the main reason for winding it up rather than any poor reaction from the readers. Also, it's worth noting that Mills' dialogue was horribly edited for the reprinted episodes that followed.

geoff42

Post by geoff42 »

Hi, Adam, the Charley's War World War Two series with Scott Goodall's scripts start with Battle's cover-dated issues February 2nd 1985 through to October 4th 1986. Thereafter, with October 11th issue, the reprints from Charley's First World War started which followed on with Battle's merger with Eagle. As regards Charley's initial run in Battle, the strip performed very well from its debut (first week of 1979 - issue 200) through to 22/12/79 - cover date issue wherein it only missed one issue and that was the 10/11/79 issue after 44 consecutive weeks - a good total considering that many Battle series were taking an invariable rest in this time to accommodate complete stories. I'm afraid, my work on Battle only extends to the last week of 1979 at the moment; therefore, I can't comment on what other issues that Charley wasn't present. Hope this helps.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

geoff42 wrote:Hi, Adam, the Charley's War World War Two series with Scott Goodall's scripts start with Battle's cover-dated issues February 2nd 1985 through to October 4th 1986. Thereafter, with October 11th issue, the reprints from Charley's First World War started which followed on with Battle's merger with Eagle. As regards Charley's initial run in Battle, the strip performed very well from its debut (first week of 1979 - issue 200) through to 22/12/79 - cover date issue wherein it only missed one issue and that was the 10/11/79 issue after 44 consecutive weeks - a good total considering that many Battle series were taking an invariable rest in this time to accommodate complete stories. I'm afraid, my work on Battle only extends to the last week of 1979 at the moment; therefore, I can't comment on what other issues that Charley wasn't present. Hope this helps.
Damnit. I was looking for a like button as I am always impressed to see other comic fans doing some rock solid research into the hobby.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

geoff42 wrote:Hi, Adam, the Charley's War World War Two series with Scott Goodall's scripts start with Battle's cover-dated issues February 2nd 1985 through to October 4th 1986. .
You're a star Geoff! Thanks loads for that. I think I'll try and buy those comics now as I've loved the definitive collection.

:up: :cheers: :notworthy: (For Colin)

Richard S.

Post by Richard S. »

if you can get hold of a copy of 'The Fleetway companion' by Steve Holland you'll find it' ace at answering this sort of question Adam