The Bubble Ballerinas

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

peace355

The Bubble Ballerinas

Post by peace355 »

I've had request from someone looking for more details/scans on the story The Bubble Ballerinas which appeared in Bunty #823 (20 October 1973).

It was about a ballet school where the girls were kidnapped by mysterious bubbles. I only had the first issue myself and I haven't been able to track it down (it may have been one that didn't make the move to my new home a few years ago!)

Anyone able to help?

Tammyfan

Re: The Bubble Ballerinas

Post by Tammyfan »

I think I have an episode or two of that story, but right now I don't have access to my
scanner.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Ok, I found I have one episode, dated 22 December 1973. Artist looks like Ron Smith. I’ll see if I can get the scannner going in a day or two.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Essentially, the plot is that Jenna Jones and her ballet school are abducted and taken to a remote island to teach Zuleika, the daughter of a wealthy Sultan, to dance. This is no easy task as Zuleika is not only a spoiled brat but also way too tubby to be a ballerina. Zuleika captured the girls by means of a toy that blows giant bubbles, and it catches all escapees as well.

peace355

Post by peace355 »

Sounds like they took some ideas from The Prisoner

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

peace355 wrote:Sounds like they took some ideas from The Prisoner
It sure makes a change from using drugs and flunkies, which is what happened to the kidnapped ballet school in Tammy's "Secret Ballet of the Steppes". Bubble Ballerinas must have been popular as it was one of the stories Bunty looked back on in her 25th birthday issue.

Does anyone have the end date to this story? We know it began with #823. And before anyone asks, 30th Century Comics has no Bubble Ballerina issues in stock. I've already checked.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

That was episode 10 and it looks like the story still has a way to go before its climax and resolution, so it must have ended somewhere around #840 or before then. It’s not in #842, the next number I have.

peace355

Post by peace355 »

Thanks for that Tammyfan. Interesting story though it unfortunately seems to have one of those narratives of the fat person being ugly and mean and all the heroes are "pretty" girls

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

peace355 wrote:Thanks for that Tammyfan. Interesting story though it unfortunately seems to have one of those narratives of the fat person being ugly and mean and all the heroes are "pretty" girls
The fat person is the villain though. By the way, the artist looks like Ron Smith.

Goof

Post by Goof »

The story does provide a nice twist on the usual pretty heroine/ugly villain convention in Zuleika's reducing mirrors, which make her slim and beautiful, and the other girls stick-thin and ugly. It's really well done, too, by Ron Smith, who had a bit of a genius for the comic grotesque. I thought he was rather miscast as an artist of ballet stories like Moira Kent, but this is right up his street.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Goof wrote:The story does provide a nice twist on the usual pretty heroine/ugly villain convention in Zuleika's reducing mirrors, which make her slim and beautiful, and the other girls stick-thin and ugly. It's really well done, too, by Ron Smith, who had a bit of a genius for the comic grotesque. I thought he was rather miscast as an artist of ballet stories like Moira Kent, but this is right up his street.
I have seen a lot of ballet stories where the artist is miscast in a ballet story. Either the artist does not know how to draw ballet positions correctly or his/her style is not right for ballet, or both. It was one the things I really couldn’t stand in girls’s comics. Of course there were artists who did a brilliant job with ballet, such as John Armstrong and Eduardo Feito.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Tammyfan wrote:Ok, I found I have one episode, dated 22 December 1973. Artist looks like Ron Smith. I’ll see if I can get the scannner going in a day or two.
That's classic Ron Smith art Tammy. It's also really nice to see some of the examples of his work in the girls' comics.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Goof

Post by Goof »

Tammyfan wrote:I have seen a lot of ballet stories where the artist is miscast in a ballet story. Either the artist does not know how to draw ballet positions correctly or his/her style is not right for ballet, or both. It was one the things I really couldn’t stand in girls’s comics. Of course there were artists who did a brilliant job with ballet, such as John Armstrong and Eduardo Feito.
Andy Tew also was excellent at ballet, and I think Tony Thewenetti was very good in the Lorna Drake stories. Princess managed to get together a very good stable of artists for the Sally Doyle stories - mainly Hugh Thornton-Jones and Dudley Wynne, but also people like R B Davis and Bill Lacey, and a lot of the ballet/dance scenes were first class.

I've also come to like Ana Rodriguez's work on dance-related stories. It's an unconventional style, and I'm not sure how correct her ballet positions are, but it has great spirit and spontaneity.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Goof wrote:
Tammyfan wrote:I have seen a lot of ballet stories where the artist is miscast in a ballet story. Either the artist does not know how to draw ballet positions correctly or his/her style is not right for ballet, or both. It was one the things I really couldn’t stand in girls’s comics. Of course there were artists who did a brilliant job with ballet, such as John Armstrong and Eduardo Feito.
Andy Tew also was excellent at ballet, and I think Tony Thewenetti was very good in the Lorna Drake stories. Princess managed to get together a very good stable of artists for the Sally Doyle stories - mainly Hugh Thornton-Jones and Dudley Wynne, but also people like R B Davis and Bill Lacey, and a lot of the ballet/dance scenes were first class.

I've also come to like Ana Rodriguez's work on dance-related stories. It's an unconventional style, and I'm not sure how correct her ballet positions are, but it has great spirit and spontaneity.
Ana's ballet stories included "Cindy of Swan Lake" (Tammy), which was very popular with readers, and "Blind Ballerina" (Jinty).