What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

SID

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by SID »

A copy of Rebellion's The Vigilant came through the post today. A good read.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Two Battle Summer Specials, 100 plus Battles and one still had the free gift attached!
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

SID

Post by SID »

Last two issues of Titan's Dan Dare.

Good story though I don't live the new looks of the Mekon and the treens.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

A Garth/Romeo Brown two in one book from 1958 for £1 at the Bloomsbury book fair. It has two covers, one for each character and the strips are printed one way and the other.

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

A John Leng publication, from 1941. Never seen one before until I found this one on ebay a few days ago. Upon having a good internet search I could only find trace of one other, sold by Phil in 2007. Its quite a strange shape for an annual, 8.5 inches wide and 12.5 inches tall and quite thick.
The title?...............Hunky Dory (Old Mother Hubbard's dog).

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Hawkeye wrote:A John Leng publication, from 1941. Never seen one before until I found this one on ebay a few days ago. Upon having a good internet search I could only find trace of one other, sold by Phil in 2007. Its quite a strange shape for an annual, 8.5 inches wide and 12.5 inches tall and quite thick.
Hi Hawkeye,

There is a companion volume to this titled 'Three Men in a Tub'. Both were illustrated by James Clark as was another book in a similar vein a smaller, softcover publication by Leng titled 'Snow White and Rose Red'. Jimmy Clark drew 'Jimmy and his Grockle' in the first issues of the Dandy and would also draw 'Pansy Potter in Wonderland' for the Beano and 'Tiny Tim' for the Topper amongst others.

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Kashgar wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:A John Leng publication, from 1941. Never seen one before until I found this one on ebay a few days ago. Upon having a good internet search I could only find trace of one other, sold by Phil in 2007. Its quite a strange shape for an annual, 8.5 inches wide and 12.5 inches tall and quite thick.
Hi Hawkeye,

There is a companion volume to this titled 'Three Men in a Tub'. Both were illustrated by James Clark as was another book in a similar vein a smaller, softcover publication by Leng titled 'Snow White and Rose Red'. Jimmy Clark drew 'Jimmy and his Grockle' in the first issues of the Dandy and would also draw 'Pansy Potter in Wonderland' for the Beano and 'Tiny Tim' for the Topper amongst others.
Yes, I've got the 'Three Men in a Tub', and have searched for 'Snow White' quite a few times but to no avail.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I also got this 1972 magazine for £1. It has a few Radio Fun excerpts.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Hawkeye wrote:
Kashgar wrote:
Hi Hawkeye,

Yes, I've got the 'Three Men in a Tub', and have searched for 'Snow White' quite a few times but to no avail.
'Kiddies Playtime' and 'The Kiddies Box of Books' are the items I've found most difficult to track down from the Thomson/Leng stable of book titles. In fact of all the 370 or so books mentioned in the DC Thomson & John Leng Indentification Catalogue produced by Lofts and Adley five of the six items I still need to complete that 'set' are the two editions of 'Kiddies Playtime' and the three editions of 'The Kiddies Box of Books'. A lot of the stuff that Leng produced associated with their nursery magazine title 'Fairyland Tales' came in unusual formats including the above, the Jig-Puz books, the landscape formatted paperbacks 'Children's Holiday Fun' and 'Jolly Jinks' etc.

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

What’s the 6th?

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

koollectablz wrote:What’s the 6th?
The second edition of 'The Fun Book for Boys'.

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Kashgar wrote:
koollectablz wrote:What’s the 6th?
The second edition of 'The Fun Book for Boys'.
I haven't seen any of the ones you need. I've especially searched for the 2nd Fun Book for Boys for a few years now. I've left details at numerous booksellers to watch out for it for me. The nearest I've come to finding it was one of the booksellers said he had it a few years ago !

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Martin Hamer had one for sale in an auction years ago but I haven't seen one since.
With regard to the 'Kiddies Playtime' and 'Kiddies Box of Books' the only time I've ever 'seen' them was when examples were advertised on the rear cover of one of Thomson's 'Annie S Swan Annuals'. Thinking about it completing a set of the Annie Swan annuals is also quite difficult.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Not all today but over the past couple of weeks:

*80 Commando comics improving quite a few of my collection
*The Phantom Ranger #1 - WDL - 1955
*Flintlock #1 & #2 - Timebomb comics - I've been after these for a while since they were released on Kickstarter. Not sure why though as they're pretty average so far (I've read the first one)!
*Victor Summer Specials - 1980 & 1982
*Lion Holiday Special 1976
*Battle Holiday Special 1988
*A run of the first 42 Jag comics by IPC with free gifts in brilliant, unfolded condition. I just need the last 6 issues now for the set.....
*Wow! #1 wfg - IPC - 1982
*Fawcett's Funny Animals #50 (#1) - L Miller - 1950?
*Dixie Dugan #1 - Streamline - 1950
*Sparky Watts #1 - Streamline - 1950
*Fighting Western - Streamline - not sure when from as there is no record of it on GCD. A similar look and style to Fighting Outlaws and Fighting Renegades.
*21 x Marvel Pocket Books from the early 80s including 5 x #1s

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

bought the vigilante but dunno if the american size suits it id prefer british format