Commando Collectors Swapmeet/Fair

If you know of an upcoming event or you would like to discuss a recent one post here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Re: Commando Collectors Swapmeet/Fair

Post by colcool007 »

We have just got mentions on Lew Stringer's site and Down The Tubes. I will not lie as I am honestly bricking it for Saturday. Please do me a favour and share the poster on other social media sites as every footfall will increase my happiness. For those of you that are in the locale, I look forward to chatting with you.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

So who is all coming this weekend? There are three artists attending. One is Stephen White. Another is David Alexander and the third is Ian Kennedy.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

colcool007 wrote:So who is all coming this weekend? There are three artists attending. One is Stephen White. Another is David Alexander and the third is Ian Kennedy.
Well done Col, I'm so sorry I can't be there but it sounds as if there will be loads of British comics for everyone to enjoy. My thoughts are with you this weekend and I hope it goes as well as I expect it to. What a coup, getting those artists there!

It started as just Commando and it's got so much more now!

starscape

Post by starscape »

I was going to go but have been ill recently (just a cold), so I'll have to give it a miss. Sorry about that. I'll also have to miss A Certain Ratio too, as they play Edinburgh that night.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Sorry to hear that Chris. I was looking forward to seeing you and enjoying the crack.

Hope you're better soon.

On a related note, I now only have 1 Hornet double and over 150 plus picture libraries added to the collection! At this rate, I am going to have a brilliant weekend!

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

So on the night we started, you can see I had already picked up over 150 picture libraries. On Saturday, I picked up over 30 early Commandos and over 200 assorted PL which covered:

Micron Western Library
Western Library (Ron Phillips)
Wild West Picture Library
Sabre Western Library
Pocket Western Library

Air Ace
Battle Picture Library
War Picture Library
Pocket War Library
Sabre War Library
Pocket War Library
Tales of Terror
Pocket Detective Library

and most interesting of all was a Cleveland War Story which I have never seen before. As Cleveland are still going, I have written to them to ask if they have any information.

I also got a gift which is priceless in terms of what it means to me and to any Commando collector.

On Sunday, I generated a bit of excitement by bringing in two copies of the Bullet Summer Special. I had picked up both very cheaply and was made offers I could not refuse. As a result, I picked up another 400 plus PLs and 41 Hotspurs from the 1947 to 1952 period.

We also had some stunning guests who were generous enough to give up their time and they were:

Richard Pester
John McShane
Stephen White (Stref)
Graeme Neil Reid
Ian Kennedy

and a walk-in that totally blew me away was Chris Muirhead who is the eldest daughter of Willie Patterson. For anyone who is into Jeff Hawke, you obviously know Willie was one of the writers from 1959 onwards.

While we only had 30 attendees, I don't think anyone walked out disappointed at the range and depth of comics available. We may have been small but we were definitely perfectly formed.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

[quote="colcool007"]and most interesting of all was a Cleveland War Story which I have never seen before. As Cleveland are still going, I have written to them to ask if they have any information.

Have you got a picture of this Col?

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Wish I could have been there! Do you know if Andy has any plans to take up the baton for another Commando Fair in the Stoke area?

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

philcom55 wrote:Wish I could have been there! Do you know if Andy has any plans to take up the baton for another Commando Fair in the Stoke area?
We discussed this yesterday and Col's hoping someone will take up the baton anywhere! We have our eyes on one of the attendees who llives in Watford as it would be a great area to have the next British Comics Swapmeet but to be honest, it's wherever someone is willing to have a go.