Next Week's "The Apprentice" alert

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

DavidKW

Next Week's "The Apprentice" alert

Post by DavidKW »

Been checking through next week's TV guide and I noticed on next week's edition of "The Apprentice" - 11/10/18, 9pm, episode 2 - the seam of mostly hopeless hopefuls have to create and market a new comic. Should be fun and interesting!

In case anyone may be interested in a rare TV program featuring UK comics!

DavidKW

Re: Next Week's "The Apprentice" alert

Post by DavidKW »

Sorry - I meant 10/10/18. Wasn't easy writing with a head full of cold yesterday!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I did mention it in the comics on TV topic. For some reason I am reluctant to start new threads. I search through to find one relevant if I can.

SID

Post by SID »

Thanks for the heads up, guys.

I have set my Sky to record it next week.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Richard S.

Post by Richard S. »

The House of Illustration will feature - presumably as the venue where they all meet at the start
my blog: http://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.co.uk/
facebook: Richard Sheaf
facebook group: Boys adventure comic blog
Twitter: @richardandsheaf
Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/BoysAdventureComics/

SID

Post by SID »

Am watching it now. :roll:

Though at least they are doing it at the Beano offices (not that you see much).
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

SID wrote:Am watching it now. :roll:

I've recorded it but dislike the programme in general so please tell me whether it's worth watching!?

SID

Post by SID »

Adam Eterno wrote:
SID wrote:Am watching it now. :roll:

I've recorded it but dislike the programme in general so please tell me whether it's worth watching!?
It depends on what you want?

If you want to spend an watching a programme about two groups of twits* making Grudawful 'comics' in the most Grudawful way then be by guest.

If you are hoping to get some insight on how comics are produced then I think you can spend less time learning more off the internet.

Waste of time for me. The only highlight was that it took place at Beano's offices though you never saw anything.

*They may be nice people in real life but they sure are twits in the programme.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

It was almost worth it to see the most relaxed man in comics almost lose his cool with the planks that he had to deal with. You did well Kev.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

DavidKW

Post by DavidKW »

It was good to have seen The Beano's offices with characters on its walls, & the staff's patience with the hopeless hopefuls (sounds a good title for a humour strip!) and the gallery at the beginning.

Didn't say much on how comics are produced - but then I didn't know you could produce comic covers where if you put them under a computer they move about (I'm not up to any modern technology and not at all informed on the latest; being on the spectrum it overwhelms me).

Calling a character "Benji" does not seem a good idea! Mention that name and I'll think either of kiddies character "Enjy Benji", or of in Posy Simmond's "Wendy Weber" newspaper strip, her son Benji.
Benji also reminds me of an 80s "Tales Of The Sea" play on BBC2 called "A bucket of fish and a whistle", where the lead character is a young boy called Benji.

I guess the appeal and idea of The Apprentice is to see how hopeless these wannabees are. I stopped watching the show (another reality freak show) regulary a while back - ironically I think the last series I properly followed was one that had teams trying to serve new real ales and one lot went to The Bricklayers Arms in Putney, which is near 30th Century Comics.