Crikey! is back

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

tonyf33

Crikey! is back

Post by tonyf33 »

Remember Crikey! ? It's back...

Comicsflix.org, publishers of ComicScene UK, are bringing the content of 16 issues of Crikey! back in four perfect bound volumes.

Working with Glenn B Fleming we are reproducing each issue of Crikey! with some new content. These perfect bound volumes will be a 1000+ page definitive comicbook history for any comic fans bookshelf. Volume 4 will also feature the never before printed 100 page issue 17.

You can pre-order Volume 1 or Volumes 1-4 in print or digital at www.comicscene.tictail.com - there is an early bird discount before the end of November.

The first volume comes out 1st February 2019.

big bad bri

Re: Crikey! is back

Post by big bad bri »

is crikey any good as i've never even looked through a copy, is there a lot of stuff on the ipc/fleetway funnies in the books.

Robbie Moubert

Post by Robbie Moubert »

I always found Crikey to be slightly disappointing. I felt the level of research could be a bit lacking. I remember one issue had an article on Captain Hurricane from Valiant that completely failed to mention his trademark "raging fury"!

lucia

Post by lucia »

If you are looking for a "Steve Holland type" research and background of titles, yes you may be disappointed. However what you do get is a wonderfully produced magazine with loads of illustrations and some superb interviews from those within the comic industry past and present (one that springs to mine is prolific artist Frank McDiarmud). Crikey covered all years and personally I loved the "My comicy Saturday" which recalls readers Saturday morning trips to the newsagents to pick up their weekly comics.

I would highly recommend it.

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Robbie Moubert wrote:I always found Crikey to be slightly disappointing. I felt the level of research could be a bit lacking. I remember one issue had an article on Captain Hurricane from Valiant that completely failed to mention his trademark "raging fury"!
All the articles were written by freelancers, most of them unpaid, who wrote for the magazine simpy because they loved their subject. These were fans trying to create something for other fans, in their own time. What level of research do you expect?

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

lucia wrote:If you are looking for a "Steve Holland type" research and background of titles, yes you may be disappointed. However what you do get is a wonderfully produced magazine with loads of illustrations and some superb interviews from those within the comic industry past and present (one that springs to mine is prolific artist Frank McDiarmud). Crikey covered all years and personally I loved the "My comicy Saturday" which recalls readers Saturday morning trips to the newsagents to pick up their weekly comics.

I would highly recommend it.
Speaking as one of the team who tried to make it as good as possible, thank you.

Robbie Moubert

Post by Robbie Moubert »

tony ingram wrote:What level of research do you expect?
Picking one issue at random I'd expect...

an article about Tornado not to confuse artists Ian Kennedy and Cam Kennedy.

I'd expect the same article not to call Victor Drago "Holmesian" but instead mention that he was originally going to be Sexton Blake.

I'd expect an article about Garth to at least mention in passing the contribution made by Peter O'Donnell, especially when discussing Astra, a character he created.

I'd expect an article about Billy Bunter in The Magnet not to be accompanied by two random comic strip pages from Valiant/Knockout when said article doesn't mention any comic strips.

I'd expect a caption that reads "(Below) Don Harley stepped in for Frank Bellamy for TV21 issues 93-98" to actually be accompanied by art from one of those issues. Other pages in the article were correctly identified so why not these ones?

That's what I'd expect.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

I only found Crikey last year and personally I loved it!

starscape

Post by starscape »

I thought it was great too. Entertaining fanzine, rather than the chin-stroking lists of artists I steer clear from. I much prefer enthusiasm and enjoyment of Crikey and Past Perfect to history books.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Robbie Moubert wrote:
tony ingram wrote:What level of research do you expect?
Picking one issue at random I'd expect...

an article about Tornado not to confuse artists Ian Kennedy and Cam Kennedy.

I'd expect the same article not to call Victor Drago "Holmesian" but instead mention that he was originally going to be Sexton Blake.

I'd expect an article about Garth to at least mention in passing the contribution made by Peter O'Donnell, especially when discussing Astra, a character he created.

I'd expect an article about Billy Bunter in The Magnet not to be accompanied by two random comic strip pages from Valiant/Knockout when said article doesn't mention any comic strips.

I'd expect a caption that reads "(Below) Don Harley stepped in for Frank Bellamy for TV21 issues 93-98" to actually be accompanied by art from one of those issues. Other pages in the article were correctly identified so why not these ones?

That's what I'd expect.
Well, I'm deeply sorry that those writers, all of whom were simply putting stuff together in their own time for no pay just because they wanted to spread a little joy about their hobby around, didn't come up to your exacting standards. And I'm absolutely mortified, of course, that I didn't pick up on those errors while editing the damn thing in my spare time whilst holding down a full time job. Naturally, you could have done so much better in every way, I'm certain. It's a wonder you didn't, really...

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Well said.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

For my few submissions, I worked my bottom off so that they had the same level of research that I would want to have in the articles I read. There was always the chance for people to submit corrections if they so desired.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

If I can add my pennyworth, as a comics enthusiast I found CRIKEY! to be an outstanding magazine. From my viewpoint as a writer, I was very impressed by the high quality of the contributions, which did not feel in any way amateurish. I still have them because they are like trusted, and trustworthy, reference books. Tony did a great job!

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

reading these comments i guess i'm sold ill order the 4 books when i can afford it probably after xmas

Robbie Moubert

Post by Robbie Moubert »

tony ingram wrote: Well, I'm deeply sorry that those writers, all of whom were simply putting stuff together in their own time for no pay just because they wanted to spread a little joy about their hobby around, didn't come up to your exacting standards. And I'm absolutely mortified, of course, that I didn't pick up on those errors while editing the damn thing in my spare time whilst holding down a full time job. Naturally, you could have done so much better in every way, I'm certain. It's a wonder you didn't, really...

*Shrug*

It's basic standards not "exacting standards".

But anyway, everyone else loves you.