What comics DIDN'T you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

stevezodiac

Re: What comics DIDN'T you buy today?

Post by stevezodiac »

Scope charity shop in Wimbledon had about 60 DC graphic novels priced between £3 and £5. I'm not into modern stuff but if anyone else is in that area and fancies them...

Richard S.

Post by Richard S. »

not my cup of tea either but always good to hear of a fellow comic fan in my vicinity (I'm based in Raynes park, which is next to Wimbledon)
my blog: http://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.co.uk/
facebook: Richard Sheaf
facebook group: Boys adventure comic blog
Twitter: @richardandsheaf
Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/BoysAdventureComics/

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I live in Rotherhithe SE London where my parents were born (Max Bygraves lived in the same block of flats). Now I'm over sixty I get a free travel card so make regular sojurns to Wimbledon and Richmond to the west and Welling and Orpington to the east. It's because, when I worked, the only time I read my novels was travelling to and from work. Now I have sets of Julian Stockwin and David Donachie naval history series to read I still make journeys on trains to read them. When I've read all of those I'll seek out the Dewey Lambdin series. I've always preferred novels that run as a series so you can follow the same characters. It started in the seventies with Alexander Kent's Richard Bolitho books and Ed McBain's 87th precinct books. Also all those Western series like Edge, Steele, Jubal Cade etc. I had quite a haul at the flea market yesterday picking up about eighty items but not a single comic but did pick up over sixty Chelsea programmes from 1964-1973 for 50p each. All destined for eBay.

SID

Post by SID »

There is a full set of Bullets for sale on eBay for £199 (seller knocked price down from £250) and he is also willing to haggle but just can't get myself to buy.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

stevezodiac wrote: sojurns to Wimbledon and Richmond
I assume that you meant to write 'journeys', Steve. As far as I am aware, a 'sojourn' is a period of time spent somewhere, not a period of time travelling to that 'somewhere'.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I did consider peregrination. I confess I thought sojurn meant journey. My first memory of that word is the Moody Blues' Seventh Sojurn album from my prog rock collecting days (which changed to punk rock in the late seventies).

Derek does this mean you have now acquired that new dictionary? :)

Doing cryptic crosswords every day is good for increasing ones vocabulary.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

[quote="stevezodiac"]Derek does this mean you have now acquired that new dictionary? :)

No, not yet, Steve. I've been far too busy to go up to Truro. It still seems unreal to me that I have been down in Cornwall permanently for just over half a year. I'll try to get there in the next week or two.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

My mate Steve has been in Leyland for two months now and loves it. Strangers say good morning to him as he walks his dog and he's looking forward to some snow which was a rarity down south.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

In Deptford flea market on Saturday they had some modernish Marvel comics. There was a Galactus comic which had pencils by John Buscema and inks by Bill Sienkiewicz and it looked very good. They had issues 4-6. I wish I'd bought them now and, if they are there on Wednesday, I will.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I saw the February Mad Magazine in Smiths today but it was issue number 5 and had the old EC style masthead. Does anyone know why they started numbering from 1 again?

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I think DC comics relocated MAD magazine from New York to California under a new editorial regime last year, restarting its numbering in the process. The final issue of the 'old' MAD was #550 last February.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Went to the book fair in Bloomsbury today. A dealer had about thirty 1947 Beanos and Dandys but they were £20.00 each and I wasn't sure if that was a fair price.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

stevezodiac wrote:Went to the book fair in Bloomsbury today. A dealer had about thirty 1947 Beanos and Dandys but they were £20.00 each and I wasn't sure if that was a fair price.
That would depend on the condition as anything good and above can fetch that sort of price per issue.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

All complete and undamaged. Good+ I'd say. There was also a 1948 Magic-Beano book for £18.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

stevezodiac wrote:There was also a 1948 Magic-Beano book for £18.
You should have snapped that up, Steve!!