Free comic book day 2019- cant wait

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

big bad bri

Free comic book day 2019- cant wait

Post by big bad bri »

i cant wait for this free book from rebellion and what better way to get the Americans and the world to see what we grew up on and hopefully the start of big demand and resurgence for reprint funny titles like Buster ,whizzer & chips etc.

https://www.freecomicbookday.com/Article/222154

TREASURY OF BRITISH COMICS PRESENTS: FUNNY PAGES — FREE COMIC BOOK DAY 2019
Rebellion/2000 AD

(A) Ken Reid & Various

It's time to put the funny back in funny pages! This Free Comic Book Day, the Treasury of British Comics presents a stack of silliness in a folio of frivolous foolishness with a trove of classic cartoon characters! Infant delinquent Sweeney Toddler commits crimes from the crib! Just when you thought it was safe to parody Steven Spielberg shark films, along comes the terror from the depths, GUMS! Martha's Monster Make-Up and Faceache strips are both a scream! The egg-straordinary adventures of super-zeroes Birdman and Chicken are sure to get you clucking; You can count on Deadley Hedley The Vampire Detective to be up to your neck in laughs when he joins a stake-out at a monster Christmas Party! A bounty of belly-laughs for kids of all ages!
Rating: All-Ages

its only taken me like 10 years to figure out how to post a pic woo hoo :lol: :lol:
Attachments
free comic 1.jpg
free comic 1.jpg

Digifiend

Re: Free comic book day 2019- cant wait

Post by Digifiend »

I posted that ten minutes before you.
http://comicsuk.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7727

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Digifiend wrote:I posted that ten minutes before you.
http://comicsuk.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7727
your's wasn't there when i started it took me over 20 mins trying to add a pic :lol: :lol:

davidandrewsimpson

Post by davidandrewsimpson »

There's a cheap 2000AD special due out at the same time.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/12/20 ... t-special/

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

I can guess what happened there. Last year, DC only had one slot instead of their usual two, so they had to charge a nominal fee for the print edition of DC Nation #0. That was free digitally, so presumably was meant to be their second FCBD book. This year DC got their second slot back. I suspect that Rebellion tried to bag a second slot this year but failed. For some reason the 2000AD title wasn't selected by Diamond. Hence the 99p/99c charge for it.

tonyf33

Post by tonyf33 »

The new ComicScene takes a look at Free Comic Book Day titles Funny Pages & Doctor Who plus the Art of Ian Kennedy exclusive, the final part of Marvel UK, Batman in the 1950's, the new and classic Cor!! and Buster, future plans from Rebellion, Roy Thomas on Captain Marvel, Game of Thrones, Indie Comics, Pat Mills and some wee film called Avengers Endgame! In shops now and at http://www.getmycomics.com/comicscene
Attachments
New ComicScene out now
New ComicScene out now

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Digifiend wrote:I can guess what happened there. Last year, DC only had one slot instead of their usual two, so they had to charge a nominal fee for the print edition of DC Nation #0. That was free digitally, so presumably was meant to be their second FCBD book. This year DC got their second slot back. I suspect that Rebellion tried to bag a second slot this year but failed. For some reason the 2000AD title wasn't selected by Diamond. Hence the 99p/99c charge for it.
This was confirmed by this month's Comic Scene. The bosses at FCBD rejected the 2000AD book.

abacus

Post by abacus »

Only 2 comics allowed on free comics day but this was not completely unexpected as Forbidden Planet only allowed 2 comics last year.
Having previewed some of the comics the week before I knew roughly which comics I wanted.
I got my priority comic which was Little Lulu a comic character from wayback but of interest in the history of comics.
Then it was the difficult choice of finding something to go with it as there were a number of comics I was interested in.
Settled for Funny Pages the british comic strips.
I think in the end I had found two good comics.

I bought two more Marvel true believers comics in the week making me a total of 38 now in this set.They are issued nearly every week and though I don't buy them all (that is just choosing the ones I like) at 75p each they are a bargain.

SID

Post by SID »

Digifiend wrote:
Digifiend wrote:I can guess what happened there. Last year, DC only had one slot instead of their usual two, so they had to charge a nominal fee for the print edition of DC Nation #0. That was free digitally, so presumably was meant to be their second FCBD book. This year DC got their second slot back. I suspect that Rebellion tried to bag a second slot this year but failed. For some reason the 2000AD title wasn't selected by Diamond. Hence the 99p/99c charge for it.
This was confirmed by this month's Comic Scene. The bosses at FCBD rejected the 2000AD book.
I wonder why? Content? You would think the FCBD would be grateful for any contributors.

Had a great day at Forbidden Planet in Newcastle. Apart from the free comics, also got a few graphic novels with some being heavily discounted. I even treated myself to seeing Avengers: Endgame. Great film. 8)
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

I asked the store manager if I could take two copies of Funny Pages, and actually picked up four by accident. He waved me on, but he's a very decent guy. I also got the Doctor Who story.

One copy has gone to my brother in law, and the other two spares will be given away by the end of next weekend. I know I could make money from them, but I would rather see others treated as I would have liked to be treated myself.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Forbidden planet in London actually ran out of more than half the titles by 2pm but there was loads of funny pages spider-man and avengers left when i got to the table as they had given up handing out goody bags by lunch but the queues at Orbital and Giosh was horrendous i think i queued up at least 45 mins with my partner at gosh and she hates crowds and queues this was her 1st fcbd and i have to go by myself next year she told me :lol:

SID

Post by SID »

My missus never comes along with me for events like this. She says she would rather stay at home and iron. :lol:
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).