What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

big bad bri

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by big bad bri »

i usually pick up the walking dead graphic novels but only on 11 out of 31 but had to pick up today's major major issue 192. forbidden planet only doing 1 per customer but the greedy speculators already charging £10 on ebay on 1st day of release, are we going to have another 90s speculator boom which nearly caused the death of marvel etc as a few comics like Naomi, immortal hulk and a few others the same thing is happening.

Captain underpants

Post by Captain underpants »

Picked up yesterday 40 copies of the hardback marvel graphic novel collection for £30 the lot don’t look like most have even been read, not the biggest marvel fan more a DC chap Had lots of 60s and 70s reprints I think I keep at least 25 browse through the fast and pass them to my son if he wants them if not eBay or boot seek them, also ordered invasion 1984 graphic novel looking forward to it .

blaing

Post by blaing »

Haven't bought a Birthday week issue in a long time(20/2/1965)

This time, it's an issue of Hurricane.

SID

Post by SID »

Brawler which arrived a few weeks ago. A good read and would certainly recommend it. Not sure if there will be any other issues but one strip finished with a 'to be continued' so who knows?
:?:

This year's The Dandy Summer Special. As good nostalgic read and even had some modernish (pre-2010 revamp) strips.
:cheers:

Invasion 1984! by John Wagner and Eric Bradbury. One of my favourite strips from Battle (why didn't they keep the name of Battle-Action? Much cooler).
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

SID

Post by SID »

blaing wrote:Haven't bought a Birthday week issue in a long time(20/2/1965)
This time, it's an issue of Hurricane.
Apologies Blaing if I sound thick but presumably you mean that issue date of that copy of Hurricane is your actual birthdate?

If so, ditto. I have a small collection of comics with my birthdate as the issue date.
:up:
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

blaing

Post by blaing »

How it works in my case, I was born on the 16th of February (which was a Tuesday) but I collect all comics that ended on the week ending 20/2/1965. I also collect comics that would have gone on sale in Australia that week (which at the time was around 10 weeks before that (which would have been the 19th of December, 1964)

I do have a large number of titles from that week (Beano, Dandy, Topper, Beezer, Sparky, Hornet, Valiant, Lion, Eagle and of course, the Hurricane I bought recently)

I did have Tiger at one point, but was sold off. The only comics I am currently looking for are TV Comic, and the Huckleberry Hound weekly.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Nice finds all.

Well my boo-boo purchase arrived today. Why is it a boo-boo? Well, I had intended to make the person buying it pay a little more to the charity selling it and I did. Only in this case, it was me! :lol:

So I have ended up with a good scattering of Battles mainly from 85-88 but missing the last issue. However I did get 4 Summer Specials in the box. 3 were Battle and 1 was the Ring Raider special and they were all intact!
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

I'm in the smelly as not only did I get the 102 Battles delivered on Monday, I got a nice assortment of Adventure, Wizard, Hotspur and Rover delivered yesterday consisting of 330 issues ranging from 1938 to at least one from 1959 but most are in the 1940-1952 range.

I then added insult to injury with a batch of Battle, Victor and Warlord from the 1970s/1980s delivered today.

And I expect I am going to be further in the smelly with a nice pile from a charity shop of a not for sale Oink, 1956 Dandy annual, issue 1 of the Megazine, issue 500 of 2000AD and a few other random bits and pieces.

This does not include the two boxes that are being sent free of charge from Luxembourg...

With the exception of the Footballs, all of these deals have been financed through the selling of a lot of doubles so panic not Paw Broon!
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Richard S.

Post by Richard S. »

Boot sale purchases today were all annuals...Buster 1972, Hurricane 1968, Battle 1980, Tiger 1975, Swift picture book of transport oddities
my blog: http://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.co.uk/
facebook: Richard Sheaf
facebook group: Boys adventure comic blog
Twitter: @richardandsheaf
Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/BoysAdventureComics/

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Richard S. wrote:Boot sale purchases today were all annuals...Buster 1972, Hurricane 1968, Battle 1980, Tiger 1975, Swift picture book of transport oddities
I wonder why some members fail on occasions to complete their sentences with a full stop.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Worse than that, yesterday I heard a radio presenter end a sentence with a preposition.

Richard S.

Post by Richard S. »

why did I end sentences without a full stop? Time. Or lack thereof.
Do I do it on purpose? No.
Do I do it regularly (here or elsewhere)? No.
Was it a simple mistake? Yes.
Do we need to be talking about it now? No.

I think we should get back to talking about comics.
my blog: http://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.co.uk/
facebook: Richard Sheaf
facebook group: Boys adventure comic blog
Twitter: @richardandsheaf
Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/BoysAdventureComics/

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Richard S. wrote:
I think we should get back to talking about comics.

abacus

Post by abacus »

I was going to mention the missing full stop, but in the end I didn't see the point. :)

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Richard S. wrote:I think we should get back to talking about comics.
So do I.