Peter Gray's cartoons and comics blog ....Whats New!

For publications about British Comics and Story Papers; blog updates, heads-up to relevant websites etc!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Peter Gray

Peter Gray's cartoons and comics blog ....Whats New!

Post by Peter Gray »

Sparky 1971 Feb issue 316-319 twice I've put up the covers to help collectors not to get confused...also a good excuse to see some nice Bill Ritchie Barney Bulldog.

Someone has asked to see some I Spy so pointed them to this forum...and shortly I'll show an example myself.

I've been busy drawing new cartoons for cards...as I made the bad mistake of saving my previous cartoons as a JPEG which has made them very pixalated...I'm now saving as Tiffs..

I'm booking tables for Flea markets...Collectable fairs...fetes.......to sell my cards...and also some old comics...

So a new thing for me..

Lew Stringer

Re: Peter Gray's cartoons and comics blog ....Whats New!

Post by Lew Stringer »

Peter Gray wrote: I've been busy drawing new cartoons for cards...as I made the bad mistake of saving my previous cartoons as a JPEG which has made them very pixalated...I'm now saving as Tiffs..
Easy mistake to make Peter. Yes, TIFFS are best to send to publishers. At least 300dpi. Some publishers prefer a higher resolution (for example Viz use 600dpi) so it's best to ask first.

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

Blimey, i use 600dpi as a rule and my comic is only run off photocopiers!

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Crikey Peter you've done some work on your site well done looking good.

I've just started up my Wizard Blog after leaving it for a while.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Davy Law is my feature at the moment...
instead of creating a website I'm doing it as a blog.
Easier to do.....don't have to fiddle around with HTML code or geocities taking it off line constantly...also easier to get rid of spam comments...so enjoying doing the blog

I've found a early rough version of Al Change...drawn by Davy Law......Danny's Granny
who drew Al Change in the 80's?

Is there any other strips by Davy Law I've missed...? Other than Corporal Clott

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Regular artist on Al Change was Tom Bannister, Peter. Pretty sure Davy Law was long gone before Al Change came along though.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

on the blog I show Danny's Granny by Davy Law which must have been the inspiration for Al Change much later.
thanks for the name Kashgar I'll add that to the blog..If it is alright I may use the artists names you've put up for the 1st issue of Whizzer and chips...

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

I've done a feature on Ian Knox...he emailled me of what he is doing now...he draws political cartoons

http://petergraycartoonsandcomics.blogs ... -knox.html

You can see the kind of stuff I'm producing now on the Irish News website or my weekly T.V. spot on BBC N.Ireland "Hearts and Minds" website.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/northernireland/he ... knox.shtml

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

On my blog I've done a quick feature on comic writers.....love to know more names.and what pages the editors wrote...at DC Thomson...Fleetway
Calamity James...Baby-Face Fin.. was that written by Euan Kerr..I know he created these characters or helped to..

Image G. Cobbs anyone know any more info..he wrote Billy Whizz in the 80's is all I know...

Thanks Al for nice comments and link to the blog from the links page. :)

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

I think you'll find this was George Cobb Peter.

Captain Storm

Post by Captain Storm »

I'm sure like many others that when an erstwhile artist/writers identity is revealed,apparently off the cuff,that many feel slightly humbled.But as must be the case,many of our experts are drawing from a vast database built up over years and through many disparate contacts,either through payment records or personal interaction with said same individuals.What I am proposing is the project to end all projects-publish a complete database of all artists/writers/letterers etc who worked on British comics so we have a comparable encyclopedia on a par with our American cousins.Everybody and his Auntie have heard of Stan Lee,Jack Kirby et al but I'll bet a pound to a penny not many will know of Jack Legrand(the Godfather of British Comics-not even a photo online!!!!!!),Geoff Campion,etc...Of those British artists/writers who are more well known,it is only because they have moved stateside...Alan Moore etc.So c'mon experts,get it online and preserve our heritage.Put it here on ComicsUK and share the knowledge,not in a piecemeal fashion but as a permanent record that future fans can refer to.Our comics past deserves it....more so than the four color crap that emanated from the U.S. :censored:
I know we have only 333 members to date but until we build something more than just a place to reminisce and argue over bloody 40 year old copyrighted characters that nobody has any interest in,then we will achieve nothing.This comes from the heart and if I didn't care I wouldn't say it! :shock:

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Kashgar wrote:I think you'll find this was George Cobb Peter.
According to a very swift Google search George was still the Deputy Beano editor in 2005. {source: The Northern Echo 17 Oct 2005} Wonder if he is still there now?
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Captain Storm wrote:I'm sure like many others that when an erstwhile artist/writers identity is revealed,apparently off the cuff,that many feel slightly humbled.But as must be the case,many of our experts are drawing from a vast database built up over years and through many disparate contacts,either through payment records or personal interaction with said same individuals.What I am proposing is the project to end all projects-publish a complete database of all artists/writers/letterers etc who worked on British comics so we have a comparable encyclopedia on a par with our American cousins.Everybody and his Auntie have heard of Stan Lee,Jack Kirby et al but I'll bet a pound to a penny not many will know of Jack Legrand(the Godfather of British Comics-not even a photo online!!!!!!),Geoff Campion,etc...Of those British artists/writers who are more well known,it is only because they have moved stateside...Alan Moore etc.So c'mon experts,get it online and preserve our heritage.Put it here on ComicsUK and share the knowledge,not in a piecemeal fashion but as a permanent record that future fans can refer to.Our comics past deserves it....more so than the four color crap that emanated from the U.S. :censored:
I know we have only 333 members to date but until we build something more than just a place to reminisce and argue over bloody 40 year old copyrighted characters that nobody has any interest in,then we will achieve nothing.This comes from the heart and if I didn't care I wouldn't say it! :shock:

Isn't that what people are already doing? We're already sharing our knowledge of comics on this forum, on our blogs/websites, and in mags like Crikey! , Book & Magazine Collector, and Film & TV Memorabilia magazine. (The latter two are even available from WH Smith.)

If someone wants to collate that info into a database, why don't they do it?

Regarding US comics, I see no point in an "Our comics are better than theirs" incentive, because it's simply not true. There are highs and lows in the comics history of the UK and the USA. The reasons that UK fandom isn't as organized or as large as US comics fandom are varied. UK comics not crediting creators being one reason, UK comics being mainly aimed at children being another.

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Captain Storm

Post by Captain Storm »

Fair point Lew.Maybe Al could set up a Database that we could all contribute to.Something easy to edit and add to as new info on artists and writers becomes known.That way old ground needn't be covered and queries can be directed towards said Database.What do the rest of the members think? :grouphug:

your Cuddly Cap! :wave:

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

quote from Al about my blog on the links page.....very nice comments... :)
I'll certainly be using this as a reference for the new Artists & Writers section that will come about in Comics UK V2.
So something is coming......
I'm also trying to put everything together for the humour comics...artists names..an example of there work..

Kashgar has been great in sharing so many artist names and writers already..
Also the Beano and Dandy 70 years book was the first to list artists...also the contents page of Beano..also Dandy did a quick profile on each artist a while back which was great..
Commando is now listing names...

We'll getting there Storm.....(your websites and blog)

Lews blog....Toonhound Fleetway...comicsuk forum and website...bear alley...down the tube...and all the others Lew mentioned......

Its a great time....you should be smiling now:)
We've just begun

Anyone know more about George Cobbs by the way... :D a deputy editor for the Beano was interesting...

Steve Bright just remembered is a comic writer....for Bananman.Steve what else did you write?