Dennis in the Weekly News

Discuss any comic strip that has appeared in a newspaper over the years. Andy Capp, Rupert, Hagar, Fudge etc

Moderator: AndyB

Kashgar
Guru

Dennis in the Weekly News

Post by Kashgar »

Dennis the Menace appeared in D C Thomson's magazine-cum-newspaper 'The Weekly News' for a total of 197 issues No 5134 (7/11/53) - No 5331 (17/8/57) sharing a page of the tabloid sized publication with Black Bob, Dennis having the top half of the page and the Dandy Wonder Dog having the bottom. Of the 197 strips published 184 were new efforts by regular Dennis artist Davey Law while the remaining 13 were made up of one Davey Law reprint strip from the pages of the Beano and 12 new strips by another artist. In due course 98 of the Davey Law strips were reprinted in the pages of the bi-annual Dennis the Menace books 8 in the 1962 edition, 32 in the 1964 edition, 33 in the 1966 edition and 25 in the 1970 edition. I'll get around to dating these anon.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Re: Dennis in the Weekly News

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I remember in some of the late 60s/early 70s annual reprints, that some of the stories appeared slightly different, with a 'bluish tinge' to the artwork [the 'elongated' DENNIS era, I seem to recall]; could these be the 'lost' WEEKLY NEWS' DENNIS strips, kashgar?

-----the artwork was consistent with other DENNIS work being reprinted, but there definately seemed to be different ink or something used on some of the more unrecognizable strips.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

I've done a blog post on this..

http://petergraycartoonsandcomics.blogs ... eekly.html

see a Dennis the Menace Weekly News.from the 1966 Book..

Can anyone put up a scan here of the Weekly News of Black Bob and Dennis the Menace together...love to see it..also Black Bob had a missing panel drawing so be fun to see the extra drawing..
pretty please :)

Conor B

Post by Conor B »

Were there none in the 1968 book? In mine some look like they've come from a newspaper - they spread across two pages.
Comic Genius Runner Up 2006

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I've been searching for a vintage Weekly News for most of my comic collecting life (44 years) they are very scarce. As hard to find as an old Sunday Post. Of course Dennis still appears in the Weekly News every week but now as a three panel strip but in full colour.