This weeks Dandy

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

Digifiend

Re: This weeks Dandy

Post by Digifiend »

Nice one Asda! They had it in - I saw one copy among the ladies magazines. Didn't see more in the comics section, but it was a right mess, so who knows? Ah well, at least I got a copy. There's a mistake on the barcode sticker though. It has last week's date and issue number. If they make the same mistake next week DCT will be seriously out of pocket.

As for the comic itself... a Bananaman strip where Eric doesn't transform - is that the first time it's ever been done? In any case, it shows the difference between Eric and his alter ego, as I can't see Bananaman being so smart. Roger the Dodger would be proud.

And as for Kid Cops, when the story requires a teacher who steals kids' lunches, might as well use the old character who would do just that! Nice idea. Lew, your idea, or a staff writer?

No Little celeb this week... I assume it's Lady GaGa next week then, as per this comment from Facebook:
The Dandy Funny you should say that, Phil! There will in fact be a Little Lady GaGa in December! Watch this space!
11 November at 05:05
The issue after the Christmas one will be dated January 1st 2011.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

:shock: A Christmas Double Number? It's like the 1910's never ended!

Speaking of which I have a nice pile of Boys' Friend Christmas Double Numbers on order. And i'm hoping to take my own comic bi-monthly (instead of one-a-yearly) next year and that will have a double number at christmas too... if all goes to plan anyway! :roll:

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

And that Christmas Dandy is advertised as the Dandy Monster Christmas Special! A reference to the original brand for the annuals, Dandy Monster Comic? Ha, for once, that name would fit the weekly. :D

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Digifiend wrote: And as for Kid Cops, when the story requires a teacher who steals kids' lunches, might as well use the old character who would do just that! Nice idea. Lew, your idea, or a staff writer?
My idea. The script was tweaked a little by the editor to make it clear that he had appeared in The Dandy before.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Finally got it.the sticker was stuck on the barcode..it still didn't scan.But he typed in the number.also the sticker had the previous issue number on it..

Anyway..love Harry Hill as usual.liked the Jamie Oliver gag......the kids cheering the bad food... :lol:

Great to see Greedy Pigg again.also with slapstick :)
Its great you are adding these little touches Lew..

Pre Skool is better in full colour...also the colouring is great on Postman Prat..
Liked Korky the best this week......like the strange characters on the ship and the tasty mermaid.. :)

I hope George and the dragon will continue later..after a break coming up..

Arnaud

Post by Arnaud »

W.H.Smith sucks ! They're supposed to have the best choice of british books and press in Paris but they don't sell any magazine for kids. At least they have some annuals. Oh well...

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Peter Gray wrote:I hope George and the dragon will continue later..after a break coming up..
Well this is a good sign...
Fanton wrote:Well, here’s an intriguing little update – got two extra GvD strips to do now – HUZZAH! So you’re all stuck with that hopeless knight for a couple of weeks more than I originally thought, I’m afraid Image
And so is this.
Shaolin Punks 7201
Harry Hill 8731
Postman Prat 9454
Kid Cops 11020
Robot on the Run 15530
Desperate Dan 20004
George Vs The Dragon 23424

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

That's the second time in a week The Dandy has made me :shock:

I may just have to place that regular order they keep on about!

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Heres the next teaser..

ooooooooooh!!

http://theetheringtonbrothers.blogspot. ... -yore.html

Still reading the latest Dandy///loved Korky in Tron..:) 8)
Also nice to see Dan on the cover!!!!!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Yes, a main image of Dan on the cover... first time since the last pre-Xtreme issue of 2007?

There's been a few other changes:
Harry Hill has lost two pages, it's now two pages instead of four.
Two new artists have joined the comic - someone called Wilbur is drawing Mr Meecher the Uncool Teacher, and someone called Nik Holmes drew the following page, a puzzle page titled RoboPuzzler 6000.
Robot on the Run and Kid Cops are absent.
A jokes page has been added.
Korky is a full page again.
Doctor Loo, an Xtreme-era character, is back.

Also, Little Lady Gaga is in - they said on Facebook that this was to appear in December, so it apparently should've appeared two issues ago, which had no Little strip.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

"Wilbur" is Will Dawbarn. He did Bodkin & the Bear in the DFC.
http://www.wilburdawbarn.co.uk/
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1075419979
Explaining why Mr Meecher is uncool...
hi harry -- i hope you like the strip a little better in the next few episodes... i think the artwork gets better. i was still getting used to drawing mr m in the first one.
i do see how the 'uncool' tag might be a little confusing. the idea is that he's *trying* to be cool, to be *down with the kids*, which as most kids know, is pretty much the uncoolest thing an adult can do...

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Jamie Smart has a new strip starting tomorrow - Arena of Awesome. And they say on Facebook:
The Dandy wrote:Another teaser from Arena of Awesome which starts tomorrow in The Dandy. Look out for Desperate Dan vs Dennis the Menace coming soon!
I know Dan will win that one, since it's basically Dandy vs Beano, and the strip is in The Dandy... will Beano actually advertise this, I wonder?
Ben Morton wrote:(Hoping it isn't signs of a dreaded Beano/Dandy merge lol)
Do you know if Andy's George Vs Dragon's making a comeback after it's intial run? Thanks.
Merger? Not that again. I was worried about that possibility in the Xtreme era, but not any more. The response:
The Dandy wrote:Beano/Dandy merge! Nooooo! Never, lol. We're going to run a poll in February to find out which comic strips the readers want to return so if it does well it'll be back. Andy does have two exciting new characters coming soon though. The first starts in our February 5th edition.
That first one being Boo.
Ben Morton wrote:ooh that'll be good! Rumours have it it's a old strip being brought back from the dead. :D (I personally think it's Biffo The Bear and Buster, I know they're Beano characters, but it has happened before (e.g: Beryl The Peril came from The Topper) or it could be Cuddles and Dimples. Old favourites lol.
Just guessing, I know I don't get a dandy club t-shirt if I get it right haha lol
The Dandy wrote:The rumours are true but it's not the strip he has starting in February it'll be appearing a couple of months later. Good guesses though but it's none of the above. : )
So Cuddles and Dimples and Beryl the Peril are definitely not coming back. And suggesting Biffo!?! lol, I know a lot of fans want him back... but obviously in The Beano, not Dandy.

Oh, and I've posted three times in a row, sorry about that, but editing doesn't bump up the thread so that you know something new has been added, the three posts were made on different days.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

A new wrestling character is to join..
With Jamies fight pages...its really turing into a fight comic..
Bully Beef and Chips eat your heart out..

Best this week was bear thrills and George and the dragon..plus Postman Prat..missing kids cops..

The dot to dot needs to be disguised a bit more..

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Peter Gray wrote: The dot to dot needs to be disguised a bit more..
I assumed that was the joke?
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/