Full Run of Hoot

Formerly known as Classics from the Comics, this forum covers all of DCT's retired titles, like Beezer, Topper, Victor, Nutty and Sparky!

Moderator: AndyB

AndyB
Throgmorton

Re: Full Run of Hoot

Post by AndyB »

David Mostyn, Peter ;)

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Apparently even Oliver Forde knew that, and he's a schoolkid who was banned from here.
yehilovedandy wrote:A slight correction to Peter Gray on the ComicsUK thread Full Run of Hoot: Snack-man and Strange Hill School were not drawn by Nick Baker, they were by one David Mostyn.

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

Im not sure why I thought Brian Walker was the Snackula artist. The only strip from Brian Walker i've seen was Dr Beastly which ran in the Beano for a very short bit and the art styles seemed similiar to me. I didnt directly check them though. Now knowing it was by David Mostyn makes sense because well he drew Strange Hill (and i knew snackula and strange hill were by the same artist) and Danny's Nanny and they are obviously by the same artist.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

I had Smiler on the brain.. :oops: anyway you knew the artist I meant..

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

I have a full run of Hoot in my house. I bought it weekly as it came out for my younger son Russell. He loved it!!

dishes

Post by dishes »

Tin Can Tommy wrote:After reading the first four issues of Dandy and Hoot. It seems the mini strips reappear in that comic as well seemingly by the same artist but now the mini strips are mainly of dandy characters and some Topper ones as well with no mini strips based on Beano strips at all.
It carried on for quite a while in the Dandy (until the next major reshuffle, anyway), and all sorts of characters (including Beano ones) appeared.
Is it weird to have no interest in keeping or collecting free gifts?

My artwork: http://www.iancockburn.co.uk

Old Freddy

Post by Old Freddy »

Digifiend wrote:Spotted Dick is another one by Barrie Appleby I believe, and it survived the Dandy merger.
I think it was confirmed somewhere that very few Spotted Dick strips were by Barrie, instead, the majority were drawn by John Aldrich, who's style was very similar to Barrie's, but not quite.

I could have just imagined that, though.
Last update to http://comiccentral.jimdo.com: 7/4/2011

Sammy Shrink, Korky, Dennis and the Dandy all updated
Beryl the Peril Page Added
Navigation altered

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

Recently got Hoot issues 2, 3 and 19 as well as the Dandy 2344 the issue before the merger (as well as three doubles). Haven't had a chance to fully read them yet (i've had just a flick through) but I did notice something interesting.
The strips in both comics showing the merger of Cuddles and Dimples into one strip are from two different viewpoints unsurprisingly the Hoot one is from Cuddles' viewpoint and the Dandy's Dimples although the two stories are slightly different so it appears to be full of small and inconsequential inconsistencies with both stories involving Cuddles moving next door to Dimples and I think are drawn by the same artist Barrie Appleby.
The last issue of Hoot and the dandy before the merger have half page adverts on the merger. These adverts may be the same in both comics i am not quite sure and dont have my comics at hand to check.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Yes, Barrie drew both.

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

Just got back to my comics and have been able to get a good thorough read of Hoot issues 2, 3, 19 and 21 (which arrived in todays post) and Dandy issue 2344.

It seems that the adverts in the Dandy and the Hoot which advertise the merger are quite different. Hoot gets a full page advert on the merger whilst the Dandy only has a little half page complete with the little advertisement tag above it (which the Hoot advert lacks).

I also finally find out Hoot's slogan of sorts it's Scoot for your Hoot

Now on to the actual content issue 21 was a surprisingly good issue with Dogsbody having a particularly good story with Dogsbody getting beaten up by a gang of cats (some of them looking comically thuggish) this somewhat foreshadows the cat which is later introduced to the strip (which I talked about in an earlier post) and turns it into an almost Puss n Boots style strip. Another positive from this issue is the Spotted Dick crossover in the Hoot Squad strip. This is also the issue that reveals the winner of the raliegh bike competition (which was mentioned earlier in this thread).

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

Just got back to a bumper crop of hoots (issues 1, 12-15, 26-41) and now I have all the issues except 18, 20, 22-25.

Finally I got the first issue of Hoot. This issue as one would expect introduces all the characters with some strips setting up the premise behind the strip eg Dogsbody, Piggles and Polar Blair whilst others such as The Hoot Squad, Cuddles and Sam's secret Diary just start straight off. Although Sam's secret diary does a good job of explaining the premise in the header. The Cuddles story in the first issue was quite disappointing as it is really just an advert for the super Raleigh vektar electronic street machine but it was quite amusing and is better than a whole page being taken up by an advert.

Dark Jokes
A number of Jokes I have found in hoot to be much darker to me than if I was reading it as a child maybe im seeing more than what is there but here are some examples:
In one of George Martin's Foxy mini strips (in issue 13). Foxy is running away from the farmer and leaps over a wall only to find what appears to be a man about to be executed by a firing squad. The firing squad all shoot at Foxy and the prisoner runs away.
A background gag on the back cover of Hoot issue 41 involves a man being eaten by a Shark. It's very heavily implied with the first frame showing a man waterskiing and a shark in front of him and then in the next frame you see the words chomp and a bone flying out.
Another one in one of George Martin's mini strips this time a Big Uggy one. This is the dark 'Joke' I find most disturbing and not at all funny it involves men hitting women over the head with a club and then dancing with them (in issue 30). A similiar joke was used in another Big Uggy strip (issue 53) and the rape overtones appear to strong to me to see how it can be anyway funny. Another creepy story (this one is less creepy though) in a Wanta Job Bob strip in issue 38 involves Bob preventing his neighbour from spying on his sunbathing mother.

Oddities
A number of things which have appeared in Hoot just seem simply odd to me these include:
In a piggles strip in issue 34, piggles somehow manages to snake charm Spaghetti.
The dog in Flip n Flop (one of the mini strips) somehow gains the ability to talk in issue 36 and then doesnt talk again until issue 45 and then after that he is always talking.
In a Desperate Dan mini strip in issue 31, Dan is sitting next to a female version of himself but it's definetly not Aunt Aggie or Katy so who is it?
There was a joke about Teddy Boys in a Three Bears mini strip what kid would have got that joke in 1986?

Historical Perspective
Ways you can tell it's 1985/1986 by reading Hoot:
In issue 29 there is an advert for the Gnasher's missing storyline in the Beano.
Slippering and Spanking are still made jokes of but are rarely ever shown just heavily implied, such as a smouldering slipper on the floor or a big red hand mark on Cuddle's bottom. Although you do see Spotted Dick getting slippered in issue 29.
The celebrities and pop culture mentioned is a big one with references to Frank Bruno and Rambo being fairly frequent.
Stereotypical asian accents (replacing the letter R with L) are very common still in Hoot with one memorable gag involving Polar Blair needing a tie to get into a Club and then wearing a Thai (as in a man from Thailand) to get in.

Shaking the comic up very slightly
Between issues 30 and 40 the comic is changed very slightly. These changes include a few examples of two part stories, the cat being introduced into Dogsbody to turn the strip into an almost Puss n Boots style strip and by dropping some mini strips and replacing them with others.

Edit: it appears that Spotted Dick frequently changes artist whilst appearing in Hoot some strips look like the work of Barrie Appleby, some by Steve Bright others it seems are by someone else entirely could that be the John Aldrich that old Freddy mentioned.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Tin Can Tommy wrote:In a Desperate Dan mini strip in issue 31, Dan is sitting next to a female version of himself but it's definetly not Aunt Aggie or Katy so who is it?
If she had grey hair tied in a bun, it's Desperate Gran.

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

She doesnt look like she has grey hair in a bun. So I dont think it's Desperate Gran. A scan of the strip in question is below.
Attachments
DSCN3763 - Copy.JPG

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Danny and Katie's mother?

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

I doubt it would be her because I cant remember seeing Danny or Katie in these mini-strips.