Anyone know of this comic?

Discuss particular comic titles here.
There are separate subfora to discuss particular titles and groups of titles - use this forum for any missing title, or discussions which don't fit below!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

philcom55

Re: Anyone know of this comic?

Post by philcom55 »

tony ingram wrote:The only issue of The Super-Heroes Monthly I really remember was the one that reprinted the Paul Levitz penned origin of the JSA. Now that, I liked!
Aw, I really liked all the stories selected for that title - and the painted covers were fantastic.
tony ingram wrote:...you're thinking of either Super Spider-Man & the Super-Heroes (formerly Spider-Man Comics Weekly) or The Titans. Or possibly Super Spider-Man & the Titans. Not The Super-Heroes itself.

I actually liked the landscape format. It felt like you were getting more for your money.
Not to mention the ultra-wide pin-ups on the centre-pages (including two by Dan Dare's Frank Hampson) which were specially commissioned by Marvel UK...though I think they also appeared on 'Slurpee' cups in the US!

- Phil Rushton

-MikeD-

Post by -MikeD- »

philcom55 wrote:
tony ingram wrote:The only issue of The Super-Heroes Monthly I really remember was the one that reprinted the Paul Levitz penned origin of the JSA. Now that, I liked!
Aw, I really liked all the stories selected for that title - and the painted covers were fantastic.
My 12yo self bought every issue. The covers were great and I enjoyed the strips as, at that point, I hadn't read any DC comics. I still prefer Golden Age/Silver Age stories.

I also remember a Gibbons/Bolland judged competition resulting in a choice piece of Bolland art featuring a reader designed monster...
My new art blog...beta version... http://mikedcuk.blogspot.co.uk

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Tony mentioned landscape and that is a format I love -so many European comics produced hundreds in that shape. However, having been used to American comics from their official distribution here in 1959 ( I know some of you are sure it was 1960 but I asked a friend who is encyclopaedic on the subject and he's certain there were American comics in some newsagents in '59), I could never get used to British b&w reprints. Often removing the colour took away the glamour that I always associated with, what at the time was, exotic reading. It was perfectly normal to read Marvelman, The Broons and so many more in b&w, because that's what they were made for and American comics seemed made to be read in colour. So, despite the format, I didn't take to those British titles.
Discovering golden age comics was a revelation and around the time of Kirby's 4th. World and a bit before, there were lots of g.a.reprints. All those strange costumes with familiar names. I still get a thrill when I re-read them.

japandroid

Post by japandroid »

The first insane price I got for a comic on ebay was the UK DC Superheroes Monthly with Supergirl Vs Batgirl on the cover........£140.00!! This was around 2001 and was bought by a guy in Japan who was bidding against another Japanese bidder. It was a true NM though :wink: