Rare broons 1949 dummy annual

Discuss any comic strip that has appeared in a newspaper over the years. Andy Capp, Rupert, Hagar, Fudge etc

Moderator: AndyB

dandy mad

Rare broons 1949 dummy annual

Post by dandy mad »

I just found this on compalcomics.com a very rare broons book 1949 dummy that has the first 14 pages printed and then repeated through out the book its a bit pricey with a reserve of £600-£800 but i supect it will sell for more
Attachments
059.jpg

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Re: Rare broons 1949 dummy annual

Post by colcool007 »

I looked at that one as well. But it's out of my price range. However, lot 168, which is for a pile of Action comics, is more to my taste. Especially as it has the 23 Oct 76 issue!

I suspect bidding to be fierce for that one.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

Did the 23 oct 76 issue of action manage to get to the shops or was it pulled before it left the printers?
Attachments
168.jpg

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

I believe a small number of dummy copies where sent around but the print run never reached general sale.

Also is there anyway to check the current highest bids on Compal? i've been spoilt by Ebay which tells you everything, this site only gives vague estimates of what they 'expect' it to reach, it seems.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

As far as we know, there are only 30 copies of that particular issue. The rest of the run was pulped as WHS threatened to stock no IPC publications unless Action was toned down.

As to bidding, I know that my flexible friend is in danger of melting as we have already hit the reserve and rising. There is no way of checking the highest bid unless you are bidding on the item and you call Compal to find out that you have been outbid.

Either way, from the look of the issue available, it looks to be in mint condition and would make a welcome addition to my collection if I win it!

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

Only 30 issues left looks like ill have to put it on my ever expanding wishlist as it will be way out of my price range and thanks for the info guys

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I remember at a comic mart a couple of years ago one stall was selling 40s Broons/Oor Wullie annuals that were photocopies. I suppose being all black and white it works ok (with colour covers) but they were also a bit pricey for mere home made copies.

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

stevezodiac wrote:I remember at a comic mart a couple of years ago one stall was selling 40s Broons/Oor Wullie annuals that were photocopies. I suppose being all black and white it works ok (with colour covers) but they were also a bit pricey for mere home made copies.

They did them from the first
Ones 1940/41 to the late 50s and think they did some hardback ones too the card covers were thicker than the original early ones

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

If anyone comes across one of the 'bootleg' editions of the 1943 Oor Wullie book beware, as the only one I have ever seen was actually shy a number of pages as was, presumably, the original edition they copied it from. A sure way to tell is to check if the copy has numbered pages, as it should have. If not, it is almost certainly a copy prepared from an incomplete original with the page numbers edited out to hide the fact that it isn't complete as was indeed the case in the one photocopied edition of this book I have seen.
As I recall there have been photocopied editions done of all Broons and Oor Wullie books up to and including the Oor Wullie for 1955 and all have been reproduced with thick card covers unlike the originals. Also all of them have plain interior covers whereas the original editions from 1952-1955 all had pictorial endpapers so they aren't exact reproductions in that regard either.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

Anybody know how long it normally takes for them to put up the results list/even email bidders to tell them if they have been sucessful or not? If i had known it was going to be this bad i never would have tried. Was a lovely day for bookshop wandering as well, today, instead i had to sit there staring at hotmail

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

The winning bidders have already been notified. It is usually done within 48 hrs of the auction ending. I called to see if my bid had been successful. And while, I am happy to pay large amounts of money to get some comics, Lot 168 went so far out of my league that I felt like a Conference League player looking at trying my luck against the Premiership! My bid was over the reserve and that is all that I am saying.

It went for.....

£1100!!!!

This makes issue 37 more valuable than a No 1 Commando (seen going for £450) or issue 2 of 2000AD with free gift (£400). I await with interest to see the full listing for this season's auction. I feel that the winning bidder will be carrying out a comparison check to see if his collection of Action is in as good a condition as the doubles that he has just acquired! Whoever they are, they are to be congratulated on having the money and the luck to win. (Sassinfrassin jammy feckers!)

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

Oh OK i didn't win the 1899-1900 Union Jack's then. Which is handy as i'm fed up with living off pasta "in case" i won XD

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

Kashgar wrote:If anyone comes across one of the 'bootleg' editions of the 1943 Oor Wullie book beware, as the only one I have ever seen was actually shy a number of pages as was, presumably, the original edition they copied it from. A sure way to tell is to check if the copy has numbered pages, as it should have. If not, it is almost certainly a copy prepared from an incomplete original with the page numbers edited out to hide the fact that it isn't complete as was indeed the case in the one photocopied edition of this book I have seen.
As I recall there have been photocopied editions done of all Broons and Oor Wullie books up to and including the Oor Wullie for 1955 and all have been reproduced with thick card covers unlike the originals. Also all of them have plain interior covers whereas the original editions from 1952-1955 all had pictorial endpapers so they aren't exact reproductions in that regard either.
I've got a "bootleg" edition of the 1943 Oor Willie annual and it does have its 96 pages and page numbers but it doesn't say DC THOMSON & CO LTD as it seems to have been blanked out
359563403.861046.jpg
Attachments
359563467.865664.jpg

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

A Bootleg edition? what do you mean. Is it an unauthorised photocopy and is there any story behind it that you know of?

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

That's what bootleg usually means isn't it? I guess it isn't just music, video games, movies and TV shows that gets pirated.