When 'Buster' Met 'Jet'

Buster, Whizzer and Chips, Whoopee, Wham, Smash, you name it!

Moderator: AndyB

Tammyfan

Re: When 'Buster' Met 'Jet'

Post by Tammyfan »

alanultron5 wrote:I always hated the dishonesty of those mergers! "GREAT NEWS PALS"!! Oh yeah?

Should read "Because not enough of you are buying `Jet` it's going to the wall and merging with `Buster` tough!" I really enjoyed `Jet` especially `Bala the Britain` and `The Sludgemouth Sloggers` Pity that not enough others did!
It must have broken a lot of hearts whenever any comic merged with another. Then it was a matter of seeing how long the traces of the old comic would linger. Some vanished very quickly while others, such as Face-ache, could last for years.

I picked up a Buster&Jet or two. My favourite was the Kids of Stalag 41.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

off topic but pertinent. My mate Steve e-mailed today and said someone was selling late 60s Busters on ebay for £35 apiece. Astonishing.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Has anyone got any scans of The Kids of Stalag 41?

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Here's an episode of Stalag 41 from Jet.

- Phil Rushton

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Thanks for the scan!

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

It shows the paper quality and colour made it look very good..
What other Jet strips were in colour?

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

philcom55 wrote:Here's an episode of Stalag 41 from Jet.

- Phil Rushton

I just came across another episode of Kids from Stalag 41 in a Buster and Jet. It is interesting to note that in your scan from Jet, Schtink has the Nazi armband, but he does not in the episode I have. Also, he wears a black uniform. Maybe he changed uniforms when the strip switched from colour to black and white?

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

I wonder how the first episode of Kids of Stalag 41 went. Did it open with them being captured, brought to the camp and introduced to their, um, beloved commandant, as School Fun's Schoolditz did? Or did it just start in the camp with introductions to all the characters in Stalag 41 and the setup for giving Schtinky a terrible time?

klakadak-ploobadoof

Post by klakadak-ploobadoof »

Here is that first episode:

Check out my blog about comics from other peoples' childhood: http://kazoop.blogspot.com

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

klakadak-ploobadoof wrote:Here is that first episode:
Thank you for posting it! It was a delight to read.

wilsia

Post by wilsia »

Im just after getting the first 6 issues of Jet, it was a great comic and I cant understand why it had a really short run. Mind you Buster really benefitted from the merger and in my humble opinion Buster and Jet was one the best comics in the IPC stable between 1971 and 73.
Buster had a character of its own and I loved the combination of adventure and humour.
The merger of Cor in Spring 1974 and then Monster Fun a few years later stripped Buster of its personality and it became more like its companion papers Whoopee and Whizzer and Chips.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Thanks for showing the first one...quite dark that he'll shoot them!!
Well it was a dark place!

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Peter Gray wrote:Thanks for showing the first one...quite dark that he'll shoot them!!
Well it was a dark place!
Knowing ham-brained Hans, the boys probably had nothing to worry about being shot. But yes, the streak of darkness must have added to the strip and made it all the more fun when the kids triumphed over Schtinky.

Does anyone know what happened in the last episode, published 15 June 1974 in Buster? Did it come to a definite close with the kids finally escaping (as Schoolditz did) or the camp getting liberated or something?

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

wilsia wrote:Im just after getting the first 6 issues of Jet, it was a great comic and I cant understand why it had a really short run. Mind you Buster really benefitted from the merger and in my humble opinion Buster and Jet was one the best comics in the IPC stable between 1971 and 73.
Buster had a character of its own and I loved the combination of adventure and humour.
The merger of Cor in Spring 1974 and then Monster Fun a few years later stripped Buster of its personality and it became more like its companion papers Whoopee and Whizzer and Chips.
Yes, I reckon that as Buster swallowed more and more funny comics (Cor, Monster Fun, School Fun etc) , he
gradually lost his adventure strips because they got pushed out to make way for the new funnies from the mergers. But changes in readers' tastes could also be a factor.

Raven

Post by Raven »

Tammyfan wrote:Does anyone know what happened in the last episode, published 15 June 1974 in Buster? Did it come to a definite close with the kids finally escaping (as Schoolditz did) or the camp getting liberated or something?
No, one of the boys managed to escape, but it was a regular instalment, no definite close.