just Dandy

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

Nigel Auchterlounie

just Dandy

Post by Nigel Auchterlounie »

This
Attachments
Dandy_EmailGraphic_v2.jpg

Digifiend

Re: just Dandy

Post by Digifiend »

What? Scotland only? Why couldn't they network it? Ah well, at least it'll be on iPlayer. I only have Freeview, so it won't be on my telly.

And that's some nice doctoring of the 60th anniversary cover.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Info (with links to a few clips): http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01pmc9s
And the iPlayer link. It'll be uploaded at about 10pm: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... ust_Dandy/

NP

Post by NP »

Just watched it on Virgin who have the BBC regions as options- very enjoyable- if a bit too much of me!! I also didn't expect it to be a full hour!

NP

Post by NP »

Digifiend wrote:...the iPlayer link. It'll be uploaded at about 10pm: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... ust_Dandy/
Where did you get your information from that it would be uploaded at 10pm? It's 00.15 now and no luck. I'm not convinced it will be available outside Scotland. I haven't had any confirmation from the Producer that it will be.
Last edited by NP on 01 Jan 2013, 01:18, edited 1 time in total.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

From the page I linked to
Available soon after
Most iPlayer programmes appear as soon as they finish on TV, this should have been no exception - it's late. If they weren't going to put it on iPlayer, it would say Not Available.

fromthenorth

Post by fromthenorth »

Now available to watch.. :)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... ust_Dandy/

Happy New Year.

blaing

Post by blaing »

Unfortunately, people like myself won't be able to watch this if they live outside the U. K. :(

this is what will come up...

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

I'd assume the download options won't help you either... but I wonder if a downloaded programme, which expires after 30 days (thanks to DRM), could be uploaded to a video service (like Youtube). It'd probably be quickly taken down though.

EDIT: Watching it now, but I think I just caught a mistake. The presenter says that they planned to launch four more comics after the Beano making a total of six (a plan curtailed by the Second World War). Wasn't it four more INCLUDING the Beano, for a total of five?

Another goof: "The 70s brought the Dandy a new hero..." but Bananaman didn't appear until 1980, and not until 1985 in the Dandy! And near the end, taking about the closure: "Five years after Dan saw the wrecking ball..." - that was in 1997 - it's 15 years.

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

I thought it was a very interesting documentary, I especially liked the look at Viz's parodies of Dandy characters that sort of thing is usually ignored. My only complaints would be I found the voices over the comic reading very cringeworthy and apart from the Eagle they never talked about rival comics from publishers other than DC Thomson.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Yeah, they also didn't mention that they did in fact manage to launch a third comic before the war (Magic), which closed after 80 issues owing to the same factors that made Dandy and Beano go fortnightly.

Here's the Viz strip that was mentioned, in it's entirety.
Thanks to SHANK0055 from Digital Spy.
http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthre ... 652&page=5

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Wowser Viz were quite fearless...

Seen the doc it was interesting they refered to the coffee book a lot..

Nice seeing the artists and relatives..glad they found Davy Laws daughter and Erica Roberts..

Tom Paterson was fun to see and well done albert for being spot on about this young lad and he was dead right..a brilliant comic artist..

Jon

Post by Jon »

Digifiend wrote:EDIT: Watching it now, but I think I just caught a mistake. The presenter says that they planned to launch four more comics after the Beano making a total of six (a plan curtailed by the Second World War). Wasn't it four more INCLUDING the Beano, for a total of five?
Yeah that struck me as odd as well! I'd thought the idea was to make a new humour-based "Big Five" as they'd done previously with adventure comics.

I thought overall a really good programme, agree that the voiceovers were a bit over the top though. Nice that it wasn't just a nostalgia trip but they also looked at the future for the Dandy.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Yeah, good show overall (come on Auntie, put it on BBC Four at least so that English, Welsh and Irish viewers can see it on TV), but I did get annoyed at those minor goofs (when they mentioned Bananaman starting in the 70s, they zoomed in on the bottom right corner of the back cover of Nutty #1 - with a 1980 copyright date! Not sure how that went unnoticed in editing). Nitpicking I know, but hey...

dishes

Post by dishes »

I thought it was good. The mistakes were very minor matters. comics documantaries are often completely misleading or fatuous, but refreshingly I didn't think this one ever was. my biggest criticism would have been that that Tom Paterson/Dangerous Dumplings bit might have been a bit confusing to anyone who hadn't already read about it in the Art and History book. But I understand it would have taken too long to explain more thoroughly, and it was worth covering for the chance to see Tom talking.

As for the comic strip voiceovers, did you notice on the end credits that they were all done by the presenter himself? Seen in that light, it's part and parcel of his presenting style, and how big a fan he clearly is of the comic.
Is it weird to have no interest in keeping or collecting free gifts?

My artwork: http://www.iancockburn.co.uk