Striker

Discuss any comic strip that has appeared in a newspaper over the years. Andy Capp, Rupert, Hagar, Fudge etc

Moderator: AndyB

big bad bri

Re: Striker

Post by big bad bri »

If anything then the new run will follow nick as he is striker & has always been the main focus of the storys much like roy of the rovers was roy race as player then manager.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Yeah - remember, Eric and Warbury were introduced later on. Nick's the title character, if he isn't in it, then it's a spin off rather than a revival. Nick's the only in-expendable character.

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

I guess you're both right about Nick, even though the poor guy might not want to return as during the run of Striker he's been framed for rape and murder, been forced into a shotgun wedding, been blown up, had his leg bit off by a shark amongst many other things. :lol:

Personally I hope both Nick and Eric are still there as Striker wouldn't be the same without either of them but what makes me wonder is the fact the characters in Striker age in real time meaning Eric must be somewhere near his 80s now, Nick and Vanessa will be somewhere in their 40s and many of the players must be coming towards the end of their careers. Thats what's making me wonder what this 'new direction' is.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

Lew Stringer recently announced a new British digital-only comic that's coming in a few months time, could Striker be appearing in that?
As it's digital-only it will of course also have the option to add some animated bits

Terry

Post by Terry »

No Striker strip in today's Scottish Sun, but its in the English version, strange :headbash:

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

That's odd. What appeared where it should've been? Was Wallace & Gromit or even the entire puzzle pullout missing?

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

felneymike wrote:Lew Stringer recently announced a new British digital-only comic that's coming in a few months time, could Striker be appearing in that?
As it's digital-only it will of course also have the option to add some animated bits
Just thought I'd add to this that the digital-only comic I was referring to was Aces Weekly. It doesn't feature Striker as you surmised but it does feature some great all-new strips, and only works out at a £1 an issue.

http://www.acesweekly.co.uk

Terry

Post by Terry »

Digifiend wrote:That's odd. What appeared where it should've been? Was Wallace & Gromit or even the entire puzzle pullout missing?
No Wallace and Gromit either, been informed that the Striker strip today was on the back of the puzzles page, in the Scottish edition its an advert

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Both strips are always on the back of the puzzles pullout on Sundays. The editor of the Scottish Sun will be getting a stern talking to from their English counterpart, I suppose. The advert should've been placed somewhere else.

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

That's poor for Scottish fans of Striker that can't access the internet as missing a strip doesn't help with keeping up with the story.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

As of today, Striker is bigger. They've taken over Wallace and Gromit's space.

Uncle Joshua

Post by Uncle Joshua »

I think Striker is going from strength to strength at the moment. The Li Ming dying and Nick inheriting her money is brilliant.

Nashy has huge plans for the strip, which is now in its 30th year.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

I have just read all 1500 copies of the volume 2 hardback has sold out so this bodes well for future books.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Yeah, volumes 3 and 4 are already planned.

And a new storyline started this week.

Al
Sir!

Post by Al »

The Striker comic has now become a Kickstarter project.

Click this link https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/16 ... ?ref=email to find out more and to pledge your support.

There are a few options on offer, starting from £3 for some Striker taster strips, through to the £30 pledge that will get you the first 12 comics in print and digital format, a PDF comic strip catch-up of Striker (I'll need this), plus other goodies. The £99 offer seems like pretty good value for money to those who can afford it and who want printed copies of the first four Striker books plus the first 12 comics in digital format.

I've gone for the £30 pledge, but there are 12 options available. You will only get charged if this project is successfully funded. This means it has to reach its £35,000 goal by the 12th May 2018.

Get the word out there. I really enjoyed the original comic and think it'll be nice to see this title revived,

Al