Who is missing the print Dandy...?

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

SID

Who is missing the print Dandy...?

Post by SID »

...or is the digital Dandy stepping up to the plate?

For me, after having read an issue of the new digital comic, the answer would be: Yes, I do miss the print version.

However, on a selfish note it is the comic of my childhood I miss more (even though the latest incarnation was great) and the consolation is that the yearly book that comes out (which I have been getting religiously since the early 70s) is still going and is more like my Dandy of old anyway. :)

More importantly though, how do the kids feel?
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

booksandcomics

Re: Who is missing the print Dandy...?

Post by booksandcomics »

In complete honesty, I've not had chance to look at the online one despite telling myself I would. I'm in the midst of setting up my own business so not even thought of looking! As I've not got a subscription for the online one I don't have any prompts to read it. Unlike before I had something drop through my letter box which immediately screamed "read me"!

SID

Post by SID »

Good luck with the business, booksandcomics. :xfingers:
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

I miss the print Dandy as well.

I've taken a look at the digital Dandy and although I'm glad they are finding new ways to keep the Dandy going it just doesn't grab me like holding a print comic in my hands.

SID

Post by SID »

Funnily enough, I find it more inconvenient having to go to the Dandy website, log in, choose the issue I want to open, choose the strip I want to read, etc..., where with the paper copy, I would simply pick it up, open and read.

Of course I am not the targetted age group (or I hope I am not anyway ;)) and there are more aspects to the website than just the strips.

But the biggest thing I miss is that once I have enjoyed reading my comic, I then would go and place it on my Dandy pile - enjoying the fact that the pile has grown another comic. Something I have done every since I was a kid.

Thank Grud that I can still do that with 2000AD, Judge Dredd Megazine, Spaceship Away, Strip Magazine and CLiNT. :)

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

You took the words right out of my mouth there SID, there is just nothing collectable about an online version.

I've decided I'm going to take a back seat and let the kids enjoy The Dandy now and I'll take comfort in the fact I still have The Beano.

WizzKid97

Post by WizzKid97 »

I'm actually really enjoying the Digital Dandy currently! The majority of the stories are brilliantly written and drawn with favourites being Bananaman (his best he's been in a long time), Brassneck, The Numskulls, Blinky and of course Retro Active (which is fast-paced and makes good use of the animated format). I also really like Desperate Dan and liked Hammie and Bad Hair Day. Can't say I'm overly keen on Keyhole Kate though.

My only annoyance about the Digital Dandy is the sheer laziness of them using 2010-2012 mini-strip reprints willy-nilly with no actual sense of order (the first Barbarian Librarian being him getting fired - WHAT?!) and no planning (characters appear one issue and are gone in the next issue!)

But overall, I've really enjoyed it and I think the general consensus is that this digital version of The Dandy has gone down rather well with most people (although we all want the print edition back!)
Please check out the following links!
http://wizzkid97.wordpress.com/ - My blog
http://wizzkid97.deviantart.com/ My DA Page

BeanoKev70

Post by BeanoKev70 »

I'm with Gilly I signed up for a month but will retire from The Dandy once my credits are used up. The only thing I've enjoyed are the Bananaman & Dan strips & Retro has some potential but is a bit weak in places. The rest are just boring, I've got into The Phoenix since the Dandy's demise so will continue to support that in the future. :cry:

SID

Post by SID »

I'm glad you are enjoying it, Wizzkid.
Gilly wrote:I've decided I'm going to take a back seat and let the kids enjoy The Dandy now and I'll take comfort in the fact I still have The Beano.
Does your kids prefer the digital version, Gilly?

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

Apologies for that one SID I kinda phrased that wrong, I meant the kids out there in general I don't actually have kids yet. :sorry:

BeanoKev we'll always have the annuals to enjoy yearly.

SID

Post by SID »

LOL :D

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

I have to admit you forget to look...and purchase...its not as good as paper...though I subscribe I'm behind in my reading..

reading online is tiring..

-MikeD-

Post by -MikeD- »

Peter Gray wrote:I have to admit you forget to look...and purchase...its not as good as paper...though I subscribe I'm behind in my reading..

reading online is tiring..
This has been my experience too, Pete. Of course, I'm much older than their target market - in contrast, my kids have already adapted to the online experience. I'm hoping they do a good old-fashioned paper compilation one day.
My new art blog...beta version... http://mikedcuk.blogspot.co.uk

r3tr0_gam3r

Post by r3tr0_gam3r »

I have read 2 copies of the online comic and was not overly impressed. Although I do not think it was bad in any way, it just wasn't the same as having the comic in your hands, reading it and adding it to your collection.
I do have to admit though, in the last couple of years, I have not been collecting my comics as religiously as I had been (due to a lack of space, I became an annual collector who bought the occasional comic) but it was nice to know I could go and buy The Dandy from a shop when I wanted to.
So, no I don't think the digital version is a suitable replacement, but at least they have replaced it. I doubt I'll be buying many (if any) more online copies, but hope anyone who does enjoys it :)

Spencer

Post by Spencer »

I know what you mean about feeling like you don't 'own' the copies. But how is this any different from when you purchase music (via iTunes for example?).

At the moment, there is a big difference - you need to be connected to the internet to view your comics. If, for example, you have an iPad, once you have bought a book, it is stored in iBooks and you can read it whenever or wherever you like.

With The Digital Dandy, although I now 'own' seven issues, I can only read them whilst connected to the internet. If I have a wi-fi only iPad with no internet contract, then myself and my children, could only read The Dandy when we are at home or at a wi-fi hotspot.

I feel this adds to the feeling that, although you have bought the copies, you don't actually own them.