A strip with a Nag

Buster, Whizzer and Chips, Whoopee, Wham, Smash, you name it!

Moderator: AndyB

DavidKW

A strip with a Nag

Post by DavidKW »

Was just remembering the other day - there was a strip which I think was in either Whizzer & Chips or Whoopee, called (character's name) Nag.

It featured a male & female horse couple, dressed as humans, where the woman would always nag the man until she got her comeuppance.

I remember one where she nags him when he's playing Pool until he silences her by putting the wooden triangle over her snout.

Was just getting into it when the strip ended.

Probably sticks in my mind as the female reminded me of most of my teachers(& dare I say it mother).

blaing

Re: A strip with a Nag

Post by blaing »

Yes, the cartoon in question was Hee Gee and his Nag, and originally appeared in Whoopee.

Last edited by blaing on 30 Oct 2014, 00:47, edited 1 time in total.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I remember this strip well---quite a sexist strip actually! [male chauvinism, that is----well, it was the 70s.........]

DavidKW

Post by DavidKW »

Nice one - thanks for that!

It is sexist & un-PC - but amusing & funny (yes, it was 70s - era of mother in law jokes).

If you were a kid reading it back then, I bet a few kids found it amusing if the Nag reminded them of a teacher of their mother/relation esp in facial appearance!

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I am no fan of P.C. humour, David---and in fact I think standards of comedy today are more tasteless and vulgar than they were in the 70s. [In comics, but moreso in other media, notably TV and films---I'm not especially offended, more bored now there seem to no longer be any tabboos]. Where on Earth do you go, for example, after the c-word becomes 'normalized' on telly?

Maybe we weren't 'educated' back then in the 70s , but we knew how to laugh without having to think if we should be laughing about it........things are often psycho-anaylzed to death these days.......comedy has devolved in most part into a horrible 'neurotic' age--------it isn't funny any more!!!!!!!!

Now---where are my Steptoe and Son DVDs?

DavidKW

Post by DavidKW »

I'm no fan of PC humour either - & I agree with you there.

Today's comedy relies too much on just saying swearwords to get laughs - just like in the primary school playground where the mention of a rude word gets a laugh; or just trying to shock to get a laugh (which Viz has been reduced to today in my view).

I think PC seemed to kill a lot of the comic humour - esp the ban on smacking - it's not something I approve of in reality, but the whackings all helped form part of the humour in the old comics & taking it out killed a lot of fun.

A lot of old un-PC comedy can be enjoyed with a knowledge of the social contexts of the time.

Now you've got me wanting to find my Steptoe DVDs; might follow that up with The Comeidians (which edited out Bernard Manning's racist rants), On The Buses, Selwyn Froggitt perhaps...

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Sure beats the likes of Jimmy Carr, David!

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

DavidKW wrote: I think PC seemed to kill a lot of the comic humour - esp the ban on smacking - it's not something I approve of in reality, but the whackings all helped form part of the humour in the old comics & taking it out killed a lot of fun.
I'm amazed anyone still misses corporal punishment in comics. I've been drawing humour comics for 30 years and have never been asked to, and never wanted to, draw kids being spanked or whacked. It vanished from comics decades ago! There are plenty of other ways to provide laughs in strips.

And let's face it, it was repeated to the point of boredom in the 1960s, becoming a lazy way to end a situation. That said, although it was used a lot, most humour strips didn't end with a whacking, so perhaps its relevance is exaggerated?
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

suebutcher

Post by suebutcher »

By the later Sixties, whackings were being artfully avoided:
melt.jpg
or ridiculed:
moggy.jpg
But I remember the Dandy was still quite nasty at times.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I also preferred the stories that avoided the whackings by covering up the deed with censorship signs, or cutting away from the whacking to another character commenting on the 'justice' being meted out off-frame.

The most inventive one I recall seeing dates from the late 60s, and shows a moth chewing through the final frame [covering up Dennis being whacked] : underneath this Davey Law-drawn page, an actual Malcolm Judge Billy Whizz image was seen, and this very imaginitive use of censorship is the sort of thing I used to appreciate---sadly I've been unable to identify the BEANO issue since time of publication.

Whacking was probably funny enough for readers when it was 'new in comics' but there's only so many times it can be depicted without becoming tedious-----hence the more imaginitive variations by the writers.

DavidKW

Post by DavidKW »

I agree that whackings were a lazy way to end strips:

But it can be good to not show it & the different ways of doing this, such as in a Beano annual Minnie The Minx causes trouble by blowing bubbles & ends with her mother blowing bubbles to the readers to hide her whacking; or once in The Banana Bunch, brainy divises a device so they don't have to stand on a full bus, which goes wrong - ends with bunch having to stand where seats are available :lol:

Also good how some cases how it fits in with the story arc: such as when Beryl The Peril used her father's marrows for pranks & is thinking lots of ideas for the third & final marrow (such as silencing the local gossip), until her father arrives with a much better usage for it...

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Going through my Cors!! there is a strip called Wacky which is based on him getting accidentally "spanked" every week. I can't imagine a modern cartoonist wanting to go anywhere near that subject today.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

It seems an awfully thin premise to hang a weekly strip onto, but this was the approach that IPC reveled in!

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

stevezodiac wrote:Going through my Cors!! there is a strip called Wacky which is based on him getting accidentally "spanked" every week. I can't imagine a modern cartoonist wanting to go anywhere near that subject today.

It was quite a forgettable strip I think. (I'd forgotten about it anyway.) I don't think it lasted long. Canings were going out of favour by the early 1970s when that strip appeared so it seemed outdated even then.

I always thought Shiner, getting an accidental black eye every week, was tedious too, but obviously many readers enjoyed the strip or it wouldn't have lasted for so long.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

NP

Post by NP »

Lew Stringer wrote:I always thought Shiner, getting an accidental black eye every week, was tedious too, but obviously many readers enjoyed the strip or it wouldn't have lasted for so long.
Bob Paynter once told me he got the idea for Shiner from a 'Biff' cover story from WHAM! where Biff tried to avoid a black eye but got oe anyway. Now I've got my 'full set' I could look it up!!

PS I have drawn one strip where Cuddles and Dimples' dad gets spanked by someone who thought he was spanking the boys. Just one out of the pages I've drawn since 1980. In percentage terms, about 0.0001
Thumped, kicked, gouged, bitten, hoofed, wellied, slapped, elbowed and brained, many many times.