Time Travel strips in Girls' Comics

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

Marionette

Re: Time Travel strips in Girls' Comics

Post by Marionette »

philcom55 wrote:Sorry Tammyfan - I have to confess that it's a fake made by splicing a Debbie Picture Library logo onto the cover for Marvel's Tales of the Zombie no.5. :oops:

- Phil R.
Oh, you scamp.

It's eerily believable, though. Very creepy.
The Tammy Project: Documenting the classic British girls' comic, one serial at a time.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

philcom55 wrote:I have to confess that it's a fake made by splicing a Debbie Picture Library logo onto the cover for Marvel's Tales of the Zombie no.5. :oops:
You might well feel ashamed, Phil. I spent time looking through my Debbie Picture Library collection just to find that title. It's a good job I don't have issue 183 or I would have begun to doubt my sanity!

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Did Spellbound run anything on zombies? Misty had one, which I have already mentioned, but I think that was all. There was "Screaming Point", where a hangman believes he can resurrect the dead, but I don't think that's zombies. Misty was more into vampires, the Devil, werewolves, Frankenstein, cats, ghosts and spells. And to come back to time travel, she had "A Leap Through Time", where a girl becomes brilliant at gym after time travelling to ancient Crete.
Misty had a story called "House of Horror", which did have a zombie theme. An evil
Victorian woman had learned voodoo and used it to create an army of the Undead. At the end of the story it is insinuated one of the Undead goes on to become Jack the Ripper.
Last edited by Tammyfan on 13 Aug 2017, 11:17, edited 1 time in total.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Here's a link to a time travel story from Tammy that uses past life regression as the time travel device: https://jintycomic.wordpress.com/2017/0 ... /#comments

Louis Crandell

Post by Louis Crandell »

philcom55 wrote:I don't think that's Giorgio on 'Swish Family Robinson', Matrix - though he may have had a hand in the colouring which doesn't seem to be in Luis' usual style. Offhand I can't remember if he ever worked for the Bermejo studio.

One of the weirdest methods of time travel to appear in a British comic must have been that employed each week by Lorna Butterwick: Cheese!!!

In each instalment of the first series of 'Lorna at Court' the essay-writing heroine is bullied into producing an article for the school magazine, only to find herself whisked back to the court of some famous Queen where she is able to take notes on the relevant period of European history. Interestingly, there is always a certain amount of ambiguity as to whether her trips are just cheese-induced dreams or genuine manifestations of some obscure form of cheese-magic. As can be seen in this debut tale the strip was clearly intended to have an educational value similar to many early Doctor Who episodes - so much so, in fact, that it is packed with enough historical detail to fill a medium-size textbook! :shock:

- Phil Rushton
Apologies for reviving an old thread, but I just came across it, and wanted to share this page of gorgeous art from the start of the second (?) Lorna at Court story from Debbie #303.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

It’s a bit like Polly’s Patches from Debbie. Polly wears trousers full of patches made from cloth of different time periods. When Polly rubs a patch, she goes back to its time period. And The Shop at Shudder Corner from Spellbound is an antique shop full of objects from the past. When the protagonists shine a magic torch on one of the objects (something they always try in vain to avoid) they go back to its past and even become part of its history.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Tammyfan wrote:It’s a bit like Polly’s Patches from Debbie. Polly wears trousers full of patches made from cloth of different time periods. When Polly rubs a patch, she goes back to its time period.
This serial will presumably have been influenced by Jenny's Magic Patch, a short serial that ran in MANDY 399 (Sep. 7 1974) - 404 (Oct 12 1974), which itself will have been influenced by Jimmy And His Magic Patch. A brief summary of this short serial has been provided by peace355 on her excellent Girls' Comics Of Yesterday site.