Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D

Discuss comics from around the world.

Moderator: AndyB

stevezodiac

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D

Post by stevezodiac »

Saw a trailer for this new tv series on Film 4 today (during The Searchers - one of my all time favourite films). Copied this from the web:

UK viewers will be able to keep pace with the US thanks to Channel 4 airing Marvel's Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. at the end of this month...

UPDATE: Marvel's Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. starts on Friday the 27th of September at 8pm on Channel 4 in the UK.

No sign of nick Fury though.

starscape

Re: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D

Post by starscape »

I believe Coulson makes a return despite being dead. Probably something to do with a life model decoy.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

^Coulson's the main character, yeah. Everyone else is original, don't expect superheroes here. They don't have the budget for Iron Man and Hulk's CGI, and Robert Downey Jr and Chris Evans' fees!

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Coulson? He's a nobody! What is the point of a SHIELD series without Nicholas Joseph Fury?
Last edited by tony ingram on 12 Nov 2013, 14:37, edited 1 time in total.

starscape

Post by starscape »

There's hints of surprise superheroes and villains. Trying to think of SHIELD superheroes though: Spider-Woman, Black Widow and Captain America are the ones I can think of, so maybe Jessica will be turning up. Mind you, virtually everyone is a SHIELD agent in the Ultimate Universe.

Ignoring those that have laready got films out or coming, any heroes people would like to see in this (also ignoring movie-type budgets)? Luke Cage or Moon Knight could work quite well. Not as SHIELD agents but not quite trusted vigilantes in times of need.

For villians, I'm guessing Hydra, AIM and maybe the Yellow Claw but I'd like to see the Grey Gargoyle myself or the Wrecking Crew.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

starscape wrote:There's hints of surprise superheroes and villains. Trying to think of SHIELD superheroes though: Spider-Woman, Black Widow and Captain America are the ones I can think of, so maybe Jessica will be turning up. Mind you, virtually everyone is a SHIELD agent in the Ultimate Universe.
Mockingbird was/is also an agent of SHIELD, and Hawkeye has recently started to work for them (and di anyway, in the Avengers movie). Then, of course, there were the unforgettable SHIELD Super Agents from the 70s: Marvel Man (later 'Quasar'), Blue Streak, the Vamp and the Texas Twister!
Ignoring those that have laready got films out or coming, any heroes people would like to see in this (also ignoring movie-type budgets)? Luke Cage or Moon Knight could work quite well. Not as SHIELD agents but not quite trusted vigilantes in times of need.

For villians, I'm guessing Hydra, AIM and maybe the Yellow Claw but I'd like to see the Grey Gargoyle myself or the Wrecking Crew.
Deathlok could be interesting. And for villains, I'd go with classic SHIELD foes Mentallo & the Fixer, Centurius and Baron Strucker.

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Incidentally, am I the only one who actually enjoyed the David Hasselhoff Nick Fury movie?

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

starscape wrote:For villians, I'm guessing Hydra, AIM and maybe the Yellow Claw but I'd like to see the Grey Gargoyle myself or the Wrecking Crew.
...Maybe they'll devote all their resources to slaying vampires in an attempt to avert the coming apocalypse? :)

- Phil Rushton

Marionette

Post by Marionette »

tony ingram wrote:Incidentally, am I the only one who actually enjoyed the David Hasselhoff Nick Fury movie?
Yes. Yes you are.
The Tammy Project: Documenting the classic British girls' comic, one serial at a time.

davidandrewsimpson

Post by davidandrewsimpson »

Samuel L Jackson has said that he'd like to be part of the SHIELD TV series, though in a small way -- just do an internet search on "samuel jackson agents of shield" for lots more about that

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

davidandrewsimpson wrote:Samuel L Jackson has said that he'd like to be part of the SHIELD TV series, though in a small way -- just do an internet search on "samuel jackson agents of shield" for lots more about that
I still think it's a shame the movie Fury doesn't look more like the original. Jackson is great in the part, but he should be playing Nick Fury Jnr (as in the current comics) with the original Nick still a part of the history.

PaulTwist

Post by PaulTwist »

Did anyone watch this? Rather enjoyed it myself. Great family action fun! Looking forward to the next episode already.

Bigwords

Post by Bigwords »

It seems I am the only person who has not been blown away by the first episode - the plot was... well, adequate is probably as far as I will go. It is way too close to the pilot of Global Frequency (and/or a old Spidey? story about a kid with powers being hunted by SHIELD) to be seen as a original story, and the much talked about connections to the overall Marvel film universe was limited to stock footage - which was so poorly inserted that the footage repeated a couple of times in the background. It is not just the basic plot, but the aesthetics which are second hand - a "secret" agency driving around in big black vehicles which are emblazoned with the agency's name? Jeez, ripping off the worst thing about Torchwood is going to drive me nuts. I want to believe in what I am watching, and that kind of thing simply jumps me out of the immersion.

I want it to get better, but I am not going to hold my breath.

Lola is pretty, though...

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

I love the marvel films & am a big fan of most of the american weekly episodic tv series via dvd box sets of course but there is something about this series that i hate,though i don't know what it is yet,it will have to dramatically improve if it is to avoid cancellation,especially now with the news 4 new marvel tv series are to debut courtesy of netflix,lets hope daredevil better than the film.the best bit in the 1st 6 eps was the samuel l jackson cameo :lol:

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

I have tried Agents of Shield and didn't enjoy it enough to keep watching, so you're not alone Bigwords. The characters, or some of them, seem like the usual, geek, science girl, hard man with no personality types that we see in other shows. The stories just didn't appeal to me. I think if the makers had written in Hawkeye that would have made a difference - he was great in the Avengers movie. But I have to admit that I don't enjoy superhero movies, although the old masked mystery men serials I find great fun, e.g. The Black Commando in The Secret Code; the first Spider serial; Captain Marvel; The Phantom; both Green Hornet serials and many more.