British Comics Database

For publications about British Comics and Story Papers; blog updates, heads-up to relevant websites etc!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Bigwords

British Comics Database

Post by Bigwords »

Shameless self-promotion is... well, it isn't something which comes easy (and having my first post be one is doubly difficult), but the British Comics Database has been up for a while now, and things aren't looking as rosy as they were back at the start of the year.

And, if you do happen to visit the site, copy whatever you are referencing to a hard drive - no telling when the plug is going to be pulled. I think there's a month's grace, but I'm not 100% certain on that.

Freshly uploaded: On This Day (sans the javascript, the code for which I am not certain on yet), and The Knowledge.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Re: British Comics Database

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Best of luck with your venture, Bigwords....

Bigwords

Post by Bigwords »

Thank you. :)

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

An incomplete listing for Beano Comic Library, Beano Special, Beano Superstars, Beano Fun-Size, Dandy Comic Library, Dandy Special, and Dandy Fun-Size can be found in the link in my signature. You don't even have Beano Special listed. Unfortunately, I see Dandy Special already has more info on your site than on mine, as I hadn't identified issue 10.

EDIT: And I'm sorry to say that your listing for Bananaman Summer Special is wrong. You have 1984, 1985, 2000 and 2001 listed, but the 70p one is actually 1989 and the 90p one is probably 1992, based on the prices of the Beano Summer Special, which otherwise match up. There are also definitely Bananaman specials for 1986 and 1987.

http://comicsuk.co.uk/specials.php?ComicTitleID=9
Last edited by Digifiend on 27 Sep 2013, 02:05, edited 1 time in total.

Bigwords

Post by Bigwords »

Digifiend wrote:An incomplete listing for Beano Comic Library, Beano Special, Beano Superstars, Beano Fun-Size, Dandy Comic Library, Dandy Special, and Dandy Fun-Size can be found in the link in my signature.
The digests are spread around *all* the boxes instead of being in one place (they are handy for the purposes of filling in the gaps at the side of the boxes with larger comics) so tracking down where I left specific issues is a pain. The only large collections I have come across have been the Pearson ones, although there a handful of Micron digests mixed in with them. It has, overall, been easier to track down where I left annuals, so I have largely been concentrating on those - when I bring all the boxes back out of storage I should be able to get the entirety of the runs indexed and fill in all the gaps. :)

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Feel free to use my info. I've gathered that up over the last four years, and it's still not complete.

Bigwords

Post by Bigwords »

Digifiend wrote:Feel free to use my info. I've gathered that up over the last four years, and it's still not complete.
Thanks. There have been days when I have been tempted to data-mine the lists from the internet to massively advance things, but I still have the (probably insane) notion that there is more to be gained from going through each individual comic and evaluating them on an issue by issue basis. This invariably means frustrating myself with comics I have misplaced, or finding that I have a double rather than two issues in a row...

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Watch out, because I know of a few examples where issues of a comic have the wrong number or date on the cover. However, you are right that seeing each issue in physical form is the best way to be sure your info is correct. I'm guessing that was not the case with the Bananaman specials. They'd have a copyright year somewhere, possibly on the inside back cover.

Bigwords

Post by Bigwords »

Digifiend wrote:I'm guessing that was not the case with the Bananaman specials. They'd have a copyright year somewhere, possibly on the inside back cover.
A few DCT titles have really confusing timelines, but ads in other titles (those "on sale _____" half page ads, specifically) help in some regard to that. There are also a few titles - Red Dagger comes to mind - which have the added fun of not stating where the material originated, so not only do the dates have to get sourced from Bullet or Bullet or whatever, I have to go through back issues to find the contents. :headbash: