Not just any old East London pie and mash shop

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Phoenix
Guru

Not just any old East London pie and mash shop

Post by Phoenix »

News in The Guardian today to delight Steve. L Manze eel, pie and mash shop on Walthamstow High Street has been awarded a Grade II listing by culture minister Ed Vaizey for its exceptionally complete interior. A designation director for British Heritage said, Eel, pie and mash shops are a unique feature of the London scene, and represent some of our oldest traditions of fast food. Apparently there are 30 traditional pie and mash shops still in existence, concentrated in the East End and south-east London. The first of the Manze chain was set up in the early 1900s on Tower Bridge Road, and is now the oldest of its kind in operation. The one in Walthamstow was the fourteenth.

Quotations and references copyright The Guardian.

stevezodiac

Re: Not just any old East London pie and mash shop

Post by stevezodiac »

I'm south east London born and bred and we never mix with east Londoners. This was in last night's Evening Standard and I've just noticed that the front of the shop is identical to my local Manzes in Deptford High Street. I haven't had pie and mash for a few weeks so will make up for it on Saturday prior to Millwall beating top of the Cain and Abel Burnley. Thanks, Phoenix, for starting a pie and mash topic. Buttering me up before our meeting in December?

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I forgot to put my scan on my message and have noticed they have removed the perishin' edit button again. Stone the bleedin' crows, innit fair. (Grabs lapels and starts singing "Boiled Beef and Carrots")

Has anyone watched the Budgie tv series staring Adam Faith? My favourite cockney drama of all time.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Excuse my self indulgence for a few minutes but just for comparison here is my Manzes and a plate of what I'll be tucking into on Saturday with pepper and vinegar.

Beautiful isn't it?

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

stevezodiac wrote:Beautiful isn't it?
Well, not if you are referring to the meal, Steve. Us northerners do like a good pie and mash, but rather than that frogspawn, we have to insist on gravy and a drop or twelve of HP sauce. No butter though, but needless to say, I am looking forward to our meeting in December.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

stevezodiac wrote:I forgot to put my scan on my message and have noticed they have removed the perishin' edit button again.
It looks like we forgot to put it back on this particular forum. Drop us a note in Suggestions and Support> if you see it missing anywhere else and we'll fix it - I honestly don't know how this one got missed!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I've only had pie and mash in the Tower Bridge road Manzes once and wasn't impressed - when I cut the pie a gallon of liquid fat poured out and turned my liquor yellow. Its where David Beckham goes, though. Tommy Steele too. I do enjoy a supermarket pie with mash, gravy and processed peas as well. But I never mix brown rockin' horse with gravy - that's for baked bean based fare.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

AndyB wrote:It looks like we forgot to put it back on this particular forum. Drop us a note in Suggestions and Support> if you see it missing anywhere else and we'll fix it - I honestly don't know how this one got missed!
I replied to this post, stating that it was there on mine. Where is the post now, and why was it removed? I'm not at all happy about my posts being arbitrarily removed.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

stevezodiac wrote:Excuse my self indulgence for a few minutes but just for comparison here is my Manzes and a plate of what I'll be tucking into on Saturday with pepper and vinegar.

Beautiful isn't it?

I'm sure it tastes better than it looks Steve. :D I don't mean to insult your favourite dish, and Manzes looks like a smashing little pie shop, but I'm curious as to what that green liquid is. Not mushy peas mushed to soup surely? What are the darker bits in it? Mint?

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Hey Steve:

when you are in high spirits, do you ever switch into :

Knees up Muvvah Brahn

mode, or even chant the following lyrics after the beer starts flowing [assuming you indulge in the liquid refreshment]:

Every widdle Lambeff gal

Wiv her widdle Lambeff pal

Dewin' the walk,

Doin' the Lambeff Walk!

....OI!

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Phoenix wrote:
AndyB wrote:It looks like we forgot to put it back on this particular forum. Drop us a note in Suggestions and Support> if you see it missing anywhere else and we'll fix it - I honestly don't know how this one got missed!
I replied to this post, stating that it was there on mine. Where is the post now, and why was it removed? I'm not at all happy about my posts being arbitrarily removed.
Derek, I never saw your post, and I know neither Colin nor Al would have deleted it. Is it possible you didn't hit Submit by accident?

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

COMICS UK's very own STEVE ZODIAC, pictured last Wednesday, with his 'Sarf Lhundahn' compatriots, as they mark the anniversary of his favourite pie-n-mash 'shoppe' which stood up to the worst the Luftwaffe had to offer:

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

...I think I feel sick! :|

(Give me Staffordshire oatcakes any day. :) )

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

AndyB wrote:Derek, I never saw your post, and I know neither Colin nor Al would have deleted it. Is it possible you didn't hit Submit by accident?
I suppose it's possible. Thanks for the reply.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Lew Stringer wrote:I'm curious as to what that green liquid is. Not mushy peas mushed to soup surely? What are the darker bits in it? Mint?
The frogspawn is called liquor, Lew. The taste is kind of indescribable, beyond my capacity at least. Steve's your man. You can probably see why I always choose gravy, which is actually only an option. I used to go regularly to a pie and mash shop in Poplar when Andrew was living in a flat near Canary Wharf. He's now slumming it in Southfields. I'm off down to Putney again on Thursday for a long weekend looking after Aurora so her mother can swan off to Bognor with her eldest daughter for two or three days to celebrate her 21st. It remains to be seen just how much of it they'll be able to remember when they get back!