Forum Access Poll

A place for you to offer some suggestions for this website or some constructive criticism

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Forum Access

Poll ended at 20 Nov 2013, 12:28

Open Access(the way it was)
81%
Restricted Access(the way it currently is)
19%

Total votes: 36

Phoenix
Guru

Re: Forum Access Poll

Post by Phoenix »

AndyB wrote:if it had been for Al, it would have been sent by pm as we can't ring each other.
And how exactly am I supposed to know that you can't ring each other? Hasn't absolutely everybody got phones these days? Even I've got a landline and two mobiles. And a phone call is far faster than a PM.
AndyB wrote:The only way to fix it is to force everyone to change theme in the background, but if you like the colour scheme of the forums the way they are, that's not very fair - it's up to yourselves, but sticking with the old theme (bo2soft) means you lose out on polls as a result.
There is something quite ridiculous and undemocratic about claiming to want to hear members' views on an important matter, then setting up a poll to enable them to express those views, then introducing some conditions by telling them that they can't actually have their vote without making changes on their computers. An equivalent in the real world would be in local or general elections, if people were told that they had to vote in their local polling station but their votes would only be counted if they went there on their hands and knees, or on roller skates. I will be appeased, a. if I can vote without having to make any changes to my computer set-up, and, b. if the Open Forum option is the winner. So Al, get your thinking cap on! Even Andy thinks the current option unfair, so most members are relying on you.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

The long version is that bo2soft, the theme you have always had for the forum because that's the way it was when you joined, cannot be fixed. Would you like us to force you to use another theme that you might not like?

I would assume that Colin and Al have phones, as do I. We've never had cause to need to share numbers with each other.

Al
Sir!

Post by Al »

Okay. As I have already stated, I only have internet access by phone, but the techie forums that I've been on have stated that the polling problem is a style problem. Especially very old styles like bo2soft. These styles have limitations on what they can do, like polls, RSS Feeds and lack of security updates.

Sometimes, software has limitations and you have to make an alternative arrangements. Similar to if you wanted to enjoy a 3D-HD colour film on your old black and white telly. You would have to get the adequate hardware and not insist that the makers of your old b&w telly sort it out.

To get around these limitations I offer the following solution.

If people can try the following steps and let me know of the outcome.

1: Click on the 'User Control Panel' link.
2: Click on 'Board Preferences'.
3: Click on 'My Board Preferences'
4: Make a note of your style (i.e. BO2SOFT)
5: Change the Style to Hestia.
6: Go to the Poll link.
7: Cast your vote.
8: Revert to your original board settings using the first four steps above and select your original style.

I have changed the closing date to the 20th November 2013. This will allow me to vet any new members after I get my internet service restored.

Thank you,

Al

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Yep - that works! :up: :)

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Right, I negotiated that, thanks Al. Having said that, I couldn't find My Board Preferences anywhere so I had to skip that stage. I'll stay with this set-up for a while, although I find the orange a bit garish. By the way, what difference in result is there if we choose Quick Reply rather than Post Reply?

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Quick Reply opens a box at the bottom of the existing page where you can type your reply - you have to put in BBcode like bold, quote, etc by hand, same with smilies, but it's good for most purposes.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

I think I'll stick with the Post Reply option, but thanks for getting back to me.

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Thank you for the explanation. I have cast my vote, it has been accepted, it was easy. By that I mean, absolutely no problem. :D
I am not exactly a computer expert, despite being an admin on CB+. The things I can manage on there are due to excellent help and tuition from our code man. :roll:
Just follow the entirely lucid instruction we have been given and cast your vote. Actually, I quite like the look the site now has on my pc. 8)

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Only a few votes so far. The drawback is that members who only visit the forum casually and only log on if they wish to comment might not even see the poll. I visit every day and I didn't even notice that the line "There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc." had been added to the page until it was pointed out the other day.

Not intended as a criticism, just an observation.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

DavidKW

Post by DavidKW »

It was reading via open access that inspired me to join in the first place & gave me ideas & memories of things to say.

Al
Sir!

Post by Al »

Bump!!

Although I have made this a 'sticky' topic, it still appears that members are still not seeing it, or simply not voting. So I've given it a nudge. It is an important topic.

Thank you,

Al

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Al wrote:Bump!!

Although I have made this a 'sticky' topic, it still appears that members are still not seeing it, or simply not voting. So I've given it a nudge. It is an important topic.

Thank you,

Al
I would imagine that most members mainly visit the General Comics Discussion section as it does seem the part of the forum with most traffic. As that is accessible to members without logging on, most won't even be aware of this poll. Therefore, might it be useful to give it a nudge over there too? Nothing specific, just a post explaining that there's a poll over here that every member should see.

Al
Sir!

Post by Al »

Therefore, might it be useful to give it a nudge over there too? Nothing specific, just a post explaining that there's a poll over here that every member should see.
Nice idea, 'tis done.

Terry

Post by Terry »

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
I keep on getting this message when I try to vote :headbash:

nottinghamian

Post by nottinghamian »

I vote for open access. (I'm afraid I don't understand all that technical stuff)