The Unknown Alex Mastereley

Discuss any comic strip that has appeared in a newspaper over the years. Andy Capp, Rupert, Hagar, Fudge etc

Moderator: AndyB

Paul Slade

The Unknown Alex Mastereley

Post by Paul Slade »

Russell Taylor and Charles Peattie’s daily cartoon strip Alex has been a constant presence in Britain’s national press for over 25 years, producing stage and radio versions of the character’s exploits and winning his creators a couple of MBEs along the way. Of all the British newspaper strips still being produced by their original creators, only Steve Bell’s If… can boast a longer run.

Few people realise, however, that Russell and Charles also produced a series of 80 spin-off Alex strips, running from 1989 to 1992 in a weekly trade paper called Money Marketing. I know this because I was working for MM at the time and managed to worm my way into a small part of the spin-off strip’s production process. This is its story: http://www.planetslade.com/alex.html

paw broon

Re: The Unknown Alex Mastereley

Post by paw broon »

Thank you for the link, Paul. I thoroughly enjoyed the background and, as an Alex fan, I trust you wont mind my trying to spread the word by posting your link on comicbookplus. Don't know if it will arouse much interest but I had to try.