[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Comics UK - View topic - The Phantom

Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
The Phantom 

Oh, that's great! What an excellent page.

Back to The Phantom. I've just had a link to an American site (completely legit.) where you can read Phantom dailies and Sunday strips, incl. the last month's worth, for free. Many other strips available including classic Mandrake Sundays.
www.azcentral.com/thingstodo/comics/kin ... 2014-02-22

23 Feb 2014, 16:58

24 Feb 2014, 13:32

My mate Steve says The Smasher was in the Victor?

24 Feb 2014, 16:26
Mr Valeera

24 Feb 2014, 16:54
Profile WWW
Guru

24 Feb 2014, 19:39
Guru

I am not in a position to check at the moment
but wasn't there a third Smasher series in
Victor called 'The Smasher Awakes'.

24 Feb 2014, 23:27
Guru

25 Feb 2014, 00:46

The Smasher also turned up in Red Dagger no.11 - though I think this must have reprinted one of the later serials from Bullet. Here's the cover and the final page:

Anybody recognize the interior artist? (or the cover artist for that matter - I originally assumed both must be Ian Kennedy, but on reflection I'm not so sure)

- Phil Rushton

25 Feb 2014, 10:40
Guru

Interior art Terry Patrick. Cover either Patrick or Kennedy

25 Feb 2014, 12:33
Guru

25 Feb 2014, 14:44

Thanks Kashgar and Phoenix. I should have realized to was Terry Patrick: nobody else drew such distinctive noses (of course the Smasher didn't have a nose!).

- Phil R.

26 Feb 2014, 12:00
Mr Valeera

26 Feb 2014, 13:02
Profile WWW

02 Mar 2014, 22:15

That is an Australian, Frew comic, but I hadn't realized there were facsimiles that far up the run. The regular facsimiles are those which come packaged with the giant annuals but I don't think they are much further on than #22 or #23 as yet. Given the fact that I am often wrong, I will have a search. Thank you for the link. Just sorry I didn't get to it sooner.
By the way, the best place for Aus. Phantom comics is 30th. Century Comics, Putney. I've been buying from them for a while.

09 Mar 2014, 18:29

Afraid I didn't get to Glasgow yesterday but I did manage to attend marts in Stoke-on-Trent and Manchester where, amongst other things, I picked up a Frew Phantom from the 1950s that seemed surprisingly cheap at £2.95. Annoyingly I can't find any number or date printed on it but, going by a couple of online cover galleries, it seems to be no.76A from late 1954.

Just before I was born then (unless, of course, it's another facsimile! :? )

(Incidentally, I'm pretty sure it's not one of Bryon Whitworth's copies!)

- Phil Rushton

09 Mar 2014, 18:39
Reply to topic   [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next