Vulcan Scottish Editions

Discuss particular comic titles here.
There are separate subfora to discuss particular titles and groups of titles - use this forum for any missing title, or discussions which don't fit below!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

japandroid

Vulcan Scottish Editions

Post by japandroid »

I've just picked up a collection which includes a fulll set of Vulcan; Scottish 1-30 and National 1-28. The Scottish 1 has it's cover loose and the National 1 is a bit of a mess but the rest are in at least fine and many very fine, very fresh and bright too. Does anyone know if any of these have been turning up recently or are they still genuinely rare? There have been a few on ebay recently but just a handful.

Shiner

Re: Vulcan Scottish Editions

Post by Shiner »

I've been selling mine on eBay and achieved prices between £20 and £120 per issue (for the Scottish issues). More for No.1. Truly amazing - but they are lovely : ) So congratulations on your find.

In contrast, the national ones are very common and so go for less than a fiver each.

Vulcan was a brave experiment in terms of format (US sized with gloss and some colour inside) but without editorial/letters and some poorly worked covers it slipped away relatively quickly - unlike the German equivalent "Kobra" which continued to publish many more stories from the Fleetway archive over a number of years.

Raven

Post by Raven »

The Scottish ones kept turning up at a comic mart I went to a few times - I think they were only going for about £5 each, there.

japandroid

Post by japandroid »

Shiner wrote:I've been selling mine on eBay and achieved prices between £20 and £120 per issue (for the Scottish issues). More for No.1. Truly amazing - but they are lovely : ) So congratulations on your find.

In contrast, the national ones are very common and so go for less than a fiver each.

Vulcan was a brave experiment in terms of format (US sized with gloss and some colour inside) but without editorial/letters and some poorly worked covers it slipped away relatively quickly - unlike the German equivalent "Kobra" which continued to publish many more stories from the Fleetway archive over a number of years.
Those prices are insane! Looks like there were around 5 bidders which is good news. Some of mine are VF a couple even better.

Shiner

Post by Shiner »

Yes, there's a small dedicated set of collectors over three continents. It's a bit like the collectors of Miracleman who this week pushed the price of Len Miller's Miracleman 26 over the £1,000 mark with the top two ending it at a final bid of £2,605. Supposedly this is the last existing copy in the world.

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

Why are they so expensive? And will the Scottish versions sky rocket in value when they become foreigners if they get independence?

Shiner

Post by Shiner »

It's supply and demand. There are collectors chasing whole sets and as it can take years before the same issue appears so they bite the bullet and go for it. It only takes two bidders with the same determination and up goes the price.

The contents of the Scottish trial run were not repeated in the national series. The Scottish ones have all the early stories of Trigan Empire, The Spider, Kelly's Eye, etc. They're all reprint.

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

I remember many years ago that a seller at a comic mart had a cardboard box full of the Scottish versions and only wanted £40 for the lot I should have ripped his hands off that price but I ignored them and in hindsight that was a little bit daft... :(

andrewclode

Post by andrewclode »

Hi, I'm interested in Vulcan comic from 1975/76, particularly one from 17th Jan 76 and the Vulcan Holiday Special. Also the Scottish editions before the National launch. Do you have any to sell,m please? Cheers, Andy