Doctor Who mini comic

Discuss particular comic titles here.
There are separate subfora to discuss particular titles and groups of titles - use this forum for any missing title, or discussions which don't fit below!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

stevezodiac

Doctor Who mini comic

Post by stevezodiac »

I found this in my storage unit and can't remember how i obtained it. It is a very small comic and mentions Golden Wonder on the cover but I can't imagine it came in a packet of crisps so maybe a free gift with the Dr Who comic? Anyone know its origin? Last imageis the back cover for info purposes.

PS What was that penguin all about?

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Re: Doctor Who mini comic

Post by steelclaw »

Published in November 1986 by Marvel/Golden Wonder as free gifts in Multi packets of crisps a total of 6 issues.

First time I've seen one.

1. Revelation! [coloured: Abridged and modified reprint of Doctor Who Magazine Issues 109-110]

2.Fun House [coloured: Abridged reprint of Doctor Who Magazine Issues 102-103]

3.War-Game [coloured: Abridged reprint of Doctor Who Magazine Issues 100-101]

4.Once Upon a Time-Lord... [coloured: Abridged reprint of Doctor Who Magazine Issues 98-99]

5.The Shape Shifter [coloured: Abridged reprint of The Official Doctor Who Magazine Issues 88-89]

6.Voyager Dreams of Eternity [coloured: Abridged reprint of The Official Doctor Who Magazine Issues 93-94]

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Should have bought more packets but never been a big crisp eater. Was that info all off the top of your head? Amazing.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

stevezodiac wrote:Should have bought more packets but never been a big crisp eater. Was that info all off the top of your head? Amazing.
Ermm with a bit of help of the web :oops:

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

The art looks like John Ridgeway's style
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

It says John Ridgway at the bottom of the first page which is quite a big clue. Was that sarcastic enough?

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

To answer the original poster's other question, the penguin was a shape shifting alien (a 'Whifferdill' if memory serves) named Frobisher, who traveled with the Doctor for some years in the strips. He was stuck as a penguin after contracting a virus.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

stevezodiac wrote:It says John Ridgway at the bottom of the first page which is quite a big clue. Was that sarcastic enough?
Not quite Steve! :lol: Even though I didn't see the credits, I am more chuffed that I recognised the style. However, spotting the credits would have saved me from making a biff post, so fair call on that one.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

tony ingram wrote:To answer the original poster's other question, the penguin was a shape shifting alien (a 'Whifferdill' if memory serves) named Frobisher, who traveled with the Doctor for some years in the strips. He was stuck as a penguin after contracting a virus.
Frobisher, by the way, travelled with the sixth and eighth Doctors (two stints, he didn't appear in any seventh Doctor stories), but obviously, only in the comic strips.

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Digifiend wrote:
tony ingram wrote:To answer the original poster's other question, the penguin was a shape shifting alien (a 'Whifferdill' if memory serves) named Frobisher, who traveled with the Doctor for some years in the strips. He was stuck as a penguin after contracting a virus.
Frobisher, by the way, travelled with the sixth and eighth Doctors (two stints, he didn't appear in any seventh Doctor stories), but obviously, only in the comic strips.
Sorry to contradict. In fact, Frobisher did travel with the seventh Doctor-he was certainly in at least the first couple of strips (DWM #130-133). He actually never traveled with the eighth Doctor, though he did reappear in one story during the eighth doctor's tenure (DWM #329), in which we learn that he has taken on a humanoid appearance and is now running a bar. He's also appeared in more than just comic strips: notably, in the novel Mission Impractical, in which he is traveling with the sixth Doctor, and in the Big Finish audio adventures The Maltese Penguin and The Holy Terror, both featuring Colin Baker as the Doctor and Robert Jezek as Frobisher.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Didn't know the character was in the audios - I knew he'd appeared with the eighth Doctor, but haven't actually read them, so that's where I got confused. At any rate, our replies will have answered stevezodiac's question anyway.

Shaqui

Post by Shaqui »

steelclaw wrote:Abridged and modified reprint of Doctor Who Magazine strips...
One obvious abridgement, for those who have seen them (I had a few somewhere) is the removal of Peri from those stories she appeared in. Presumably either the character or actress Nicola Bryant wasn't included in the rights for these versions...

8)

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

A few years on and I have found some adverts for the crisps among some cuttings:

One question, why is Harpo Marx advertising them :)

parp! "And one duck egg..."

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Why does the colour advert use redrawn versions of Colin's face, the comic covers, and the crisp packets, when the black and white advert uses photographs? You would expect it to be the opposite if anything, due to the colour photos not reproducing well on black and white newsprint.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Well it makes a nice "variant" advert at least.