Dennis Gifford article from 1987.

Discuss comic art, the artists and writers both current and from the past.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Phoenix
Guru

Re: Dennis Gifford article from 1987.

Post by Phoenix »

Here is the cover.
Attachments
runadolfrun.jpg

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

My favourite book of Denis's is the International Book of Comics. A very large, very thick book with hundreds of colour pictures of comic covers. It came out in 1984 but i notice Amazon sell newer (revised with more modern cover) copies.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

I too have that book, Steve, and it is everything you say it is. I also found the text on the left-hand pages to be interesting and informative. I can't remember where I bought it, although a bookmark I've found inside it from the Leeds Astoria bookfair with its dates for 1988 might be an indicator. It is a Hamlyn book from 1984 but it says on the wrapper that the edition was produced exclusively for W H Smiths.. There are some differences of cover design. Where you have Walt Disney I have Eagle, your Crypt of Terror is the 1000th issue of Jackie on mine, and I have Mickey Mouse Weekly where you have Eagle.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I think it came out in Hardback and softcover. I have two copies as my original was locked in storage for twelve years and I just had to look at it again. ALmost bought a third a couple of years ago in a Greenwich charity shop but managed to resist the urge.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Found another article among my cuttings slightly larger than my scanner so trimmed at the edges:

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Thanks for showing that old article, Steve, although it's one of the worst ones on comics that I've ever read. "What's a grown man doing sitting in a pile of old comics?" He's following the instructions of the magazine photographer, that's what.

That's just a mild criticism of course. The worst thing about it is that it spends a whole page talking about monetary values or making snide remarks about shy, half-pint drinking collectors, but never once mentions any comic creators. It's a typically shallow piece that speculates the only possible appeal of old comics must be their monetary value. (Which as we know, is rarely the case.)

Sadly, little has changed in the 30 years or so since that article and the Mail still puts the focus on money whenever it runs an article on comics.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Agreed. Its just nice to see all those rare first editions. None of them bagged!

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

stevezodiac wrote:Agreed. Its just nice to see all those rare first editions. None of them bagged!
I don't think Denis bothered bagging many comics but I presume the photographer would have wanted them out of bags to get a better picture and reduce any reflection or flash.

Most of my old comics aren't bagged either.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

suebutcher

Post by suebutcher »

What about "professional interest" then? Gifford drew comics, of course he'd want to collect some of them for reference purposes. Though perhaps not that many

geoff42

Post by geoff42 »

It's the first time I've come across this post and feel quite sad. I have quite a collection but nowhere like Dennis had and, in agreement with an earlier post, I couldn't live with comics littered everywhere. They need to be bagged, boarded and boxed and then indexed... I know, what a job :) But, at the end (and this is the sad bit) what happened? They were sold off bit by bit via auction. At least they didn't end up being binned - that would have been a travesty. I'll carry on collecting regardless but, at the back of my mind, I'll think: "Someday, after I've gone, they'll mean nothing." :cry:

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

geoff42 wrote:I'll carry on collecting regardless but, at the back of my mind, I'll think: "Someday, after I've gone, they'll mean nothing." :cry:
They will to the person who acquires them.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I sell some comics on ebay but i do believe that most buyers of vintage comics are middle aged men who won't be around in twenty years time. So it could be that I need to sell off my collection pretty soon or when I do pop my clogs it will be thrown into a skip.

starscape

Post by starscape »

I know there are children's museums and the Cartoon Museum but I've often thought a Comic Museum would be a great idea. Bit of philanthropy to start off, plus a good shopping experience at the end with all manner of new and old comics and comics-related merchandise.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

Shiner

Post by Shiner »

I'd love to see a dedicated comic museum too. I did talk to Anita at the Cartoon Museum about including some of my comics (including Denis' Beano No.1 no less but she was fearful of the long term damage from light). I've found that museums are interested in the art or the comics but not combined. What a shame!

One day Geoff42 all our comics will be with you. Keep on buying! I enjoy reading about your latest acquisitions.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

The University of Dundee is setting up a comics library so all donations would be gratefully received. Some of my doubles have already gone across to them. And I would not be surprised if they eventually turn it into a museum or an interactive media site to engage kids of all ages.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!