collected

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

abacus

collected

Post by abacus »

Having a tidy-up.
Here are some UK comics of US reprints I have collected
followed by some TV spin offs--
[Image
I don't use Ebay and these I've picked up mainly from carboots I know you folk's have marvelous collections but these were cheap :) I of course have hundreds of comics and may highlight some of my favourites sometime if it's not boring :D
I think the point is that after collecting they are stored away never to see the light of day.I think it would be great to see others favourite buys.

stevezodiac

Re: collected

Post by stevezodiac »

I have picked up quite a few of those recently from the ephemera fair and the attraction for me is that the artwork is in black and white (with no tones) so looks just as the original art would have appeared. Some have four or five Ditko stories in them. I paid £5 each for mine so not cheap. I also like searching for the stories on the Grand Comics Database to find the artist's names and where the stories originally appeared.

matrix

Post by matrix »

stevezodiac wrote:I have picked up quite a few of those recently from the ephemera fair and the attraction for me is that the artwork is in black and white (with no tones) so looks just as the original art would have appeared.
Same with the Aussie comics. The examples below are from 'Judomaster' with some nice Frank Mclaughlin artwork, which I prefer in black and white.

Was it reprinted in uk?
Attachments
Scan_20160322.8.001.jpg
Scan_20160322.9.001.jpg

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Alan Class reprinted some, though I remember buying the US originals from Woolworths for 6d each.
Attachments
905766.jpg

matrix

Post by matrix »

That's good, for a uk connection on here. It is a nice title out of the mainstream so to speak. I did read that it was eight years ahead of its time before Martial arts took off in the early seventies, Iron fist etc.
Interestingly Frank Mclaughlin did Judo for many years.

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Nice to see Judomaster again. Somewhere I have the Charlton #1.
There never was a British edition of the title, but as Phil notes, stories appeared in the odd Alan Class reprint title.
Abacus, some nice photo covers on those American titles in the second picture. Dell and GK comics (but particularly Dells) were good value entertainment. And Dell had some seriously good artists in many titles. Thanks for showing them.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I remember frank McLaughlin did some articles for the marvel black and white martial arts comics which he also illustrated.

abacus

Post by abacus »

Here's a selection of mainly carboot finds I have which some of you may also have.I'm hoping to visit more carboots while away on holiday and for those that like viewing pictures I present these.
Where it's dificult to get old comics cheap these old reprint books I have got from carboots come in handy and nearly all priced between £1 -£3.
With not using Ebay I can only collect what appears before me on my travels and as you know this is a slow form of collecting but fun.
Last edited by abacus on 24 Mar 2016, 15:32, edited 1 time in total.

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Where to start with this selection? Some really excellent finds, in particular the 4 DDW hardback adaptations, and particularly the Treasure Island with the dust jacket :notworthy:
Also, the Swan albums. They look absolutely intriguing.
I have Twice Told Tales but it is a British WDL reprint, whereas you have the Dell original. Great stuff.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

...And the first Marvelman Annual! I'd love to find that at a boot sale!

abacus

Post by abacus »

Looking through the Narnia cupboard of comics and annuals( I only have a wall cupboard to store comics and annuals) I blame the wife :) .
I can't help noticing the yellow backings of the World distributors (manchester)annuals.
World distributors seem to have produced a prolific amount of annuals not all however having the yellow trademark spines.
I have never been able to find a catalogue of all the annuals they have produced and therefore never know what other finds are out rhere waiting for me to pick up.
They contain US comic reprints with the exception of some all written story annuals that I don't collect
I have some others with different colour spines which I have not included here.
Anyway for those who like pictures----

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

The cover of the Super Thriller is the same illo. as Dell 4 Color #488, John Carter of Mars. But then WDL reprinted piles of Dell stories in the UK.

starscape

Post by starscape »

Who would ever have thought cowboys would hold almost no interest to kids and the general public now, when once they were so ubiquitous.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

abacus

Post by abacus »

paw broon wrote:The cover of the Super Thriller is the same illo. as Dell 4 Color #488, John Carter of Mars. But then WDL reprinted piles of Dell stories in the UK.
The WDL reprint annuals are a cheap alternative to trying to find and buy the original comics.I only bought these at the cost of £1-£2 each because they were comic related and not trying specifically to collect WDL annuals, each just happened to be in my line of view on a particular day.I choose to be the Notts County league of buyèrs rather than yòur Chelsea's or Man Utd's after all it's only a fun hobby for me.The highest I have paid for an annual is £10 for a 1946 Radio Fun annual and £8 for a 1950 Film Fun annual, that being one of seven Film Fun annuals in my collection.
Starscape= Who would ever have thought cowboys would hold almost no interest to kids and the general public now, when once they were so ubiquitous/quote]

Yes After the saturation of western movies and Tv series from the '40s to the '60s cowboys have died a death with no signs of a comeback as yet.I can still sit through and enjoy a youtube Roy Rogers , Gene Autry movies and whereas I hated them singing as a youngster I quite enjoy it now, must be an age thing :)

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

The odd thing is that World generally got their own artists to repaint Dell's cover illustrations; I've never understood why they didn't just reprint the original versions.
Attachments
4c.jpg