The Comic Archive - What's new

For publications about British Comics and Story Papers; blog updates, heads-up to relevant websites etc!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

big bad bri

Re: The Comic Archive - What's new

Post by big bad bri »

sorry to hear that bruce i enjoyed reading reading your blog and website .maybe try one of the free ones.I keep thinking of doing a blog or website about comics seeing as i'm on my arse all day but just don't feel confident enough and wouldnt want the grammar police harassing me :lol: maybe one day.

Niblet

Post by Niblet »

blaing wrote:I hope to re-launch the blog on either WordPress or Blogger sometime in the new year. Hopefully after things settle down. :)
That's great news, Bruce. We need you to get your gallery of Pin-Up Pal posters from Cheeky Weekly back online as soon as you're ready!

Anyone who hasn't seen it can catch the online gallery here http://comicsblog.brucelaing.id.au/pinups/ but I gather from Bruce's earlier post that the current link will cease to exist in a few days.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

blaing wrote:I hope to re-launch the blog on either WordPress or Blogger sometime in the new year. Hopefully after things settle down. :)
That would be great, Bruce. Personally I recommend Blogger. It's easy to use and upload images and the layout looks more reader-friendly than Word Press in my opinion.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

blaing

Post by blaing »

my blog has a new home :D

Because of the amount of work required to get the site up and running again, I have decided to list only key posts (the Cheeky pin-up gallery (the only thing on at the moment) and the Sparky Pin-Ups (coming over the weekend))

click here for the linkage.

Niblet

Post by Niblet »

Great to see your new blog Bruce, and that the Cheeky Weekly Pin-Up Pals are online again. I'm just trying to figure out how to follow your blog - it seems to require a Google + account which I don't have. I'm not sure why I can't just follow you with my existing Google (Niblet) account.

Have added your new blog to my bloglist.

blaing

Post by blaing »

All the summaries of the Cheeky Annuals are all back online again, and all the summaries for the Cheeky Specials will go online every half hour from 8:00 am on New Years' day.

To officially end the year, I have done a mashup of New Year in the comics posts from the past and did a bumper one for this year here

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Shouldn't these bits in the Cheeky annual reviews link to each other?
For the summaries for the previous six Cheeky annuals, click on the following links: the 1979 Annual, the 1980 annual, the 1981 annual, the 1982 annual, the 1983 annual and finally the 1984 annual

blaing

Post by blaing »

It's been fixed. :)

blaing

Post by blaing »

Here is another look at the many incarnations of a particular character, and today, it's Beryl the Peril's turn.

http://bjlcomicarchive.blogspot.com/201 ... peril.html

blaing

Post by blaing »

Haven't done this for a while.

Here is the strip Bonehead from the pages of Jet, here.

blaing

Post by blaing »

Something new has been added today, and I take a look at Mike Higgs' the Cloak here, and in the morning I'll have another Mike Higgs strip at 8:00 (AEST)

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

blaing wrote:Something new has been added today, and I take a look at Mike Higgs' the Cloak here, and in the morning I'll have another Mike Higgs strip at 8:00 (AEST)
I'm having problems posting comments on your blog so I'll reply here. Regarding whether or not IPC continued with The Cloak when they revamped Smash!, no they didn't. Despite the strip being very popular it didn't fit into IPC's narrow definitions of what they wanted in their comics so it was dropped.

More info here:
http://lewstringer.blogspot.co.uk/2009/ ... rates.html

blaing

Post by blaing »

Thanks for the info, Lew. :up:

I'll have to turn back on the option so that everyone can make a comment.

Raven

Post by Raven »

Bear in mind that that seems a very biased opinion, as IPC seemed to expand the scope of humour comics, rather than narrowly defining them.

It's also worth considering that a Pulp/Shadow parody kind of strip (a 1940s kind of theme) would surely have seemed a dated concept by 1970, so in the sense that the new IPC humour comics seemed to take an extremely modern approach, you could consider that to be their policy of the time, as you write.