Lester Bidston

Discuss comic art, the artists and writers both current and from the past.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Mikeall

Lester Bidston

Post by Mikeall »

Just wondering how well known / regarded was Lester Bidston? I know he was writing Sexton Blake stories as well as stories for the Boys friend in the 1920s and 30s but other than that I don`t know too much about him. I`m trying to get a full list of his work together so if anybody can help I`d be most grateful.

Mikeall

Re: Lester Bidston

Post by Mikeall »

Just a bit of additional info.

These are the titles of the ones identified so far...

BIDSTON, LESTER (1883-1938); (about) (chron.)

o * The 7 Grim Jokers [Dixon Hawke], (n.) Dixon Hawke Library #243 1929, uncredited.

o * The Blackpool Mystery [Sexton Blake], (n.) Sexton Blake Library (Second Series) #201 1929, uncredited.

o * Crooks Limited [Sexton Blake], (n.) Sexton Blake Library (Second Series) #214 1929, uncredited.

o * The Cup Final Crime [Sexton Blake], (n.) Sexton Blake Library (Second Series) #329 1932

o * The Fatal Alibi [Sexton Blake], (n.) Sexton Blake Library (Second Series) #316 1931

o * The Flame-King’s Secret [Dixon Hawke], (n.) Dixon Hawke Library #306 1931, uncredited.

o * Gang’s Prisoners [Sexton Blake], (n.) Sexton Blake Library (Second Series) #274 1931

o * The Mill of Fear [Sexton Blake], (n.) Sexton Blake Library (Second Series) #342 1932

o * The Motor Coach Murder [Sexton Blake], (n.) Sexton Blake Library (Second Series) #383 1933

o * The Mystery of Oldham [Sexton Blake], (n.) Sexton Blake Library (Second Series) #229 1930, uncredited.

o * The Phantom of the Mill [Sexton Blake], (n.) Sexton Blake Library (Second Series) #108 1927

 Sexton Blake Library (Second Series) #659 1939

o * The Phantom of the Mill [Sexton Blake], (n.) Sexton Blake Library (Second Series) #108 1927, uncredited.

o * Scund the Eternal, (sl) The Boys’ Friend Mar 3, Mar 10, Mar 17, Mar 24, Apr 7, Apr 14, Apr 21, Apr 28, May 5 1923

o * The Silent Syndicate [Sexton Blake], (n.) Sexton Blake Library (Second Series) #295 1931

o * The Space Destroyer! [uncredited], (sl) The Boys’ Friend Nov 25 1922, Jan 6, Feb 10 1923

o * The Trail of the Poison Gang [Sexton Blake], (n.) Sexton Blake Library (Second Series) #138 1928, uncredited.

NOVELS

• The Phantom of the Mill (1927; by Lester Bidston)
• The Trail of the Poison Gang (1928; by Lester Bidston)
• The Blackpool Mystery (1929; by Lester Bidston)
• Crooks Ltd. (1929; by Lester Bidston)
• The Mystery of Oldham (1930; by Lester Bidston)
• The Fatal Alibi (1931; by Lester Bidston)
• Gang's Prisoners (1931; by Lester Bidston)
• The Silent Syndicate (1931; by Lester Bidston)
• The Cup Final Crime (1932; by Lester Bidston)
• The Mill of Fear (1932; by Lester Bidston)
• The Motor Coach Murder (1933; by Lester Bidston)
• Queen of the skies (1930; by Lester Bidston)
• The Radio Planet (1923; by Lester Bidston)
• A leap through space (1921; by Lester Bidston)
• Treasure of the north (1927; by Paul Hotspur) aka Lester Bidston

Mikeall

Post by Mikeall »

I`ve got some of the front cover artwork downloaded somewhere too so it might be interesting to learn a bit about who did that as well.

I only own one title so far. but this is what it looks like (and one or two others). It would be nice to learn a bit about the artists as well if possible...
Attachments
the cup final crime.jpg
isles of gold.JPG
queen of the skies.jpg

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

there was a Sexton Blake enthusiast called FelneyMike who used to frequent this forum, but he doesn't seemed to have posted for a while.

Here is hoping somebody on here can help you, though, Mike!

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

That Sexton Blake cover looks like the work of regular artist Eric Parker to me. I'll certainly see if I can find any more Bidston stories, though I'm afraid I'm no expert on the period when he was writing. That doesn't mean your posts aren't welcome however - just that you'll probably have to be content with becoming our resident Lester Bidston expert for the time being (unless he ever worked for DC Thomson, in which case Kashgar and Phoenix can probably help).

As a matter of interest, Mike, do you have any personal connection with Lester or his family? If not, what sparked your interest in him?

Mikeall

Post by Mikeall »

Thanks so far :)

I was actually doing a google search recently on my Grans brother (also Lester Bidston) as I was aware that he had written a couple of books in the 70s and was also a profesional puppeteer. I mentioned this to my Mum who told me that his Father, Grans Dad, and my Great Grandfather was also called Lester Bidston and that he was a writer. This sparked of more research which I`ll add to this thread as I go along. I`m actually seeing my Gran (now 93) later today so I`ll see if I can get anymore info.

Mikeall

Post by Mikeall »

philcom55 wrote:That Sexton Blake cover looks like the work of regular artist Eric Parker
Could well be right. Just had a very quick look on google images and the style looks right.
Any idea if he was a British artist and where he came from?

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I'll be fascinated to hear any further details your Gran can provide about her father's career.

Eric Parker was indeed a British artist. You can find a pretty good Wikipedia entry on him here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Parker_(illustrator)