Motorcycle madness

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

matrix

Motorcycle madness

Post by matrix »

Does anyone have or know of any comic covers with motorcycles riding the 'Wall of Death'? I know there is a 'Champion' library comic, a 'Champion' comic, and a small panel on 'The Rover' comic no 1384.
Also this Commando comic no 1852 from 1984 was first printed in 1972, have they used the same cover or was it different?
Thanks.
Attachments
W.O.D.2.jpg
W.O.D.jpg

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Re: Motorcycle madness

Post by colcool007 »

Hi Matrix,

The same cover was used on both issues and it was done by Ian Kennedy. The internal art for that issue was Galindo.

As to your other question, you need to seek out Red Dagger 26 titled Death Rider. It features Bernard Briggs as a Wall of Death rider. I will find a piccie later if no one has done so while I am at work. I am still trying to track down the credits for that issue.

There will be other stories but I can't recall them at the moment.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

matrix

Post by matrix »

Thanks for that info Col. To be honest I had not heard of 'Red Dagger' so would have taken me a while to find that one!
I see there were only thirty? Were they originals or reprinted from elsewhere?
I like that Commando cover and story I guess it could be based on a real situation?
When you get time if you find any others, but no hurry as I know you are busy with your blog etc.
Thanks again.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

The Red Daggers were reprints from The Hotspur, Warlord, Victor and Wizard. Some were even stories that were retreads in that they had originally been printed in the story papers and then re-edited for the picture comics. Terror In The Tall Tower was an excellent example of this as it was originally printed in the Wizard in the 1930s and then redone for a new audience in 1970s Wizard.

Just to get this amount of information has taken a fair whack of research and I hope that when we redo the Index on Down The Tubes, it will help some of you with your own comic research. Now if only I can figure out who the Cast Iron Bill and the Deathless Men artists were.

However, back on topic, here is the Red Dagger cover in question.
2542197-reddagger26.jpg

matrix

Post by matrix »

Thanks again Col for taking the time to post that for me. I have had a look around the usual places but can not find that issue so will put it on my wants list!

I have spent a few months looking for these W.O.D covers and not just British but American as well in which I have not found any.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

If it's any help the cover to the 1949 Wizard Annual features a particularly wild variation on the Wall of Death theme!
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg

matrix

Post by matrix »

Yes thanks Phil that helps. I have not been collecting the annuals but as the wall of death theme seems to be rare that one goes on the wants list.
Nice cover, motorcycle covers in general always look good, to me anyway.

Has Eric Parker had a hand in that cover?

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Ray Moore identified Sam Fair as the artist of that 1949 annual cover.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Phoenix wrote:Ray Moore identified Sam Fair as the artist of that 1949 annual cover.
Is Ray also able to identify the artists for Death Rider? I think the story artist might be Tony Harding but I am struggling to put a name to the cover artist.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

colcool007 wrote:Is Ray also able to identify the artists for Death Rider?
I rang Ray this evening, Col, as I needed to speak to him on some other matters anyway, but I did ask him if he could recognise the Death Rider cover artist. He couldn't there and then but I suspect he will have another look at it when he has enough spare time. I hadn't noticed at the time that you were also asking for the name of the artist who drew the story, but hopefully when Ray next looks in on the forum and sees this post he may be able to confirm your suspicion or supply the name of that artist for you.

matrix

Post by matrix »

Phoenix wrote:Ray Moore identified Sam Fair as the artist of that 1949 annual cover.
Thanks Phoenix. I wonder if they crossed paths? The two figures at the bottom that are both looking up look very similar to EPs work especially with the heavy lines on the edge of what looks like a suit. Or maybe it's my eyes!

matrix

Post by matrix »

Just giving this a nudge for anyone that is interested!

'The Modern Boy' had their fair share of motorcycle covers and stories. With nice painted covers, they are, would have been a nice lead in for the stories inside. These scans include, 'The Isle of man Tourist Trophy', 'Britains speed bids', and 'Exeter trial'. Sealing in time some great social history!
Attachments
Scan_20161012.3.jpg
Scan_20161012.2.jpg
Scan_20161012.000.jpg

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Just noticed that this is currently being offered on Ebay. (Incidentally, I wonder why it says it was 're-edited' in England?
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

philcom55 wrote:Incidentally, I wonder why it says it was 're-edited' in England?
There may be a link here, Phil, with Spanish, and American, terminology, in that the verb editar more often than not means to publish, out of which we get edicion meaning publication. (There should be a stress accent on the o of edicion but I've forgotten how to put it there.)

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

For anyone interested there is a Wall Of Death photograph in full colour across the two centre pages of the main section of today's issue of The Guardian. It's of cars not motorbikes, but there is a decent crowd of spectators that includes plenty of women and children. The event was taking place in Rajkot, Gujarat.