Action 'Hookjaw' game

Buster, Whizzer and Chips, Whoopee, Wham, Smash, you name it!

Moderator: AndyB

koollectablz

Action 'Hookjaw' game

Post by koollectablz »

Can anyone tell me the dates of the four issues that featured the 'piece together' Hookjaw game that appeared in Action?

Adam Eterno

Re: Action 'Hookjaw' game

Post by Adam Eterno »

koollectablz wrote:Can anyone tell me the dates of the four issues that featured the 'piece together' Hookjaw game that appeared in Action?
I believe it was in 5 issues starting in #3 on the 28th Feb 1976 and were in issues 4, 5, 6 and 7. My issues are now sealed up but I've just looked at the covers and each issue advertises the Magnum Force game.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Koollectablz, I can find a Magnum Force game that you put together and a Hookjaw poster that you put together over 4 weeks, but I cannot find a Hookjaw game.

As Adam has pointed out, The Magnum Force game was published in the issues dated 28th February 1976 to 20th March 1976 (or issues 3 to 6 if you prefer) with the rules and the cards published in issue 7 or dated 27th March 1976.

The Hookjaw poster was published in the issues dated 29th May 1976 to 19th June 1976 (or issues 16 to 19)

Here is the complete poster to see if that helps to jog a few brain cells. (I have borrowed it from Forbidden Planet, so I hope that they don't mind)
Hookjaw Poster.jpg
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

However, a google search has just proven you have a better memory than most as it turns out there was a four part game done in the latter half of the print run and the game is Hookjaw's Gold! which was printed in the issues dated 25th June 1977 to 16th July 1977 (or issues 67 to 70 if you include the pulped issue 37)

I have been having a flick through the images online and it looks decidedly a lot more restrained than the Hookjaw of the poster that I put up!

Edit: And just so you know that I am not blowing smoke, here is a copy of the game. Valeera has just looked at it and her comment was "Oh dear, that's not very good is it?"
Hook_Jaws_Gold.jpg
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

Oh brilliant well done!!!!

That's the one! I did a search and I couldn't find it so I bow down to your superior Google skills.

I'm sure all the main IPC comics did a four part piece together game at the same time, the Actuon one I remember particularly well, but I'm sure there was one in Buster, Whoopee, and maybe others over the same four weeks.

I'm going to try and collect them I think....

I have a plan!

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

Hmmmm, after a good look on eBay it looks like they are called 'Big Six' games.

All over the same four weeks.

One game in:

Action
Buster
Battle
Whoopee
Whizzer & Chips...

I'm missing one....

Edit: Found it.. It's Krazy, I never did ever get that comic

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Sorry for the brevity of my earlier answer and congrats to you both on the research! I have the set so I'm more than happy to look up the game if you need any more info but it wont be until the weekend as I'm off to Milan in the morning to watch the football on Thursday!

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

Oh wow nice!!!

Have an awesome time!