The Hunt for Warlord

Formerly known as Classics from the Comics, this forum covers all of DCT's retired titles, like Beezer, Topper, Victor, Nutty and Sparky!

Moderator: AndyB

colcool007
Mr Valeera

The Hunt for Warlord

Post by colcool007 »

As you all realise, I have declared that I am going to devote an insane amount of blogging time to Warlord. So if any of you can help, I will so love you for the help!
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Phoenix
Guru

Re: The Hunt for Warlord

Post by Phoenix »

colcool007 wrote:I am going to devote an insane amount of blogging time to Warlord. So if any of you can help, I will so love you for the help!
What kind of help do you have in mind, Col?

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

The main help needed is writer and artist credits. So if you can recognise any of the artists that I am unable to identify, then that would be a major help.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

colcool007 wrote:The main help needed is writer and artist credits.
So presumably you have every issue.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

I have every issue up to the end of 1985, but the issues from 1986 are still spotty due to not finding/buying all the 1986 issues and losing some of the few that I had due to a minor flood in London. However, I do not predict that to be a problem for some time! I will continue to watch out for any Ebay lot that features them all.

I know that I definitely have all the annuals and the majority of the Summer Specials, but until I put all my Summer Specials together, I won't be able to say with 100% certainty which I do and do not own.

The main problem now is that the boxes they are in are scattered between the library and the garage, but that is a darn sight more concentrated than they were in the last house!

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

You have a library? I'm so jealous!!! :shock:

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

philcom55 wrote:You have a library? I'm so jealous!!! :shock:
There's no need to get too jealous, Phil. Col needs something tangible to offset the disadvantages of where he lives. His nearest cultural centres are Cowdenbeath and Dunfermline. Even if we allow their football teams to be included as such centres, it has to be noted that Dunfermline are currently in the relegation zone of the Ladbroke's Championship (actually the Second Division), and Cowdenbeath are down among the empties and a penny on the bottle in Ladbrokes League Two (in effect the Fourth Division). If I lived up there, and had a library, I would become a hermit and lock myself in it. With my complete collection of story papers of course. :lol:

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

You forget that I am also less than an hour from Raith Rovers, St Johnstone, Hibs, Hearts, Dundee City and Dundee United to name but a few. I am sure there are others within that drive, but as I am not a football fan, I will gladly forgo the pleasure of naming all the rest.

I have spent the last few days merging the Commando boxes together and found that I am 52 short of the 2,000 mark. However, if I count the doubles, I would be well over, but I can't do that until I get some decent swaps done. Now, is anyone interested in issue 46 of Commando?

I have also been unpacking my Judge Dredd collection from the packaging as the damp in the old house was just too damaging to books. And that packaging has certainly added to the growing pile of recycling!

Now, I must get on and do some reviews for John Freeman! :lol:

starscape

Post by starscape »

colcool007 wrote:Dundee City...I am not a football fan
I can tell :lol:

(although I really like Dunfermline as a city)
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

colcool007 wrote:Dundee City and Dundee United
colcool007 wrote:I am not a football fan
I'm pretty certain I'm right in saying that the grounds of Dundee and Dundee United are in the same street. That unusual concept was borrowed by the writer of Those Goals That Jackson Scored in The Wizard 1147 (Sep. 20 1947) - 1151 (Oct. 25 1947), paupers Millwood Rovers' Johnny Jackson being a goal machine. Rich club Millwood City bought him on a so much down and so much per goal deal but he scored so many goals that the City were going bankrupt so they sold him back for a modest fee. The serial was so popular that it resurfaced in picture form in The Victor in 1962 as The Goals That Jackson Scored, and then in Scoop in 1980 as Gregson's Golden Goals.

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Oh dear, football rears it's ugly head again. As someone who grew up watching Airdrie - my uncle took me to the home games - I should be a died in the wool fan. Fortunately, I came to my senses and never watch it now. Developers knocked down Broomfield, incl. the wee house, and it's now a Morrisons. There is a New Broomfield in Craigneuk. A couple of the blokes who make up the Bus Pass Lunch club still go, on their own admission out of nothing else but habit. I appeared at Broomfield once or twice, but it was as a sprinter and relay team anchor at the inter school sports.
And Phoenix, I hope you're not slagging off Dunfermline based solely on a football team, because it's a historically and culturally important centre. Tut, tut :shock: :wink:
Being so close to one of the world's great cultural capitals, Edinburgh, means that Dunfermline can sometimes be overlooked, and that's a shame.
There's a sort of geographical flattened diamond shape of cultural/historically important centres in Central Scotland with Dunfermline at the apex, Linlithgow at the bottom and Stirling and Edinburgh at the sides. Needs a bit of imagination but it's there :D
By the way, Phoenix, that's intriguing about the re-use of the Jackson story. Thank you.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Phoenix wrote:
colcool007 wrote:Dundee City and Dundee United
colcool007 wrote:I am not a football fan
I'm pretty certain I'm right in saying that the grounds of Dundee and Dundee United are in the same street. That unusual concept was borrowed by the writer of Those Goals That Jackson Scored in The Wizard 1147 (Sep. 20 1947) - 1151 (Oct. 25 1947), paupers Millwood Rovers' Johnny Jackson being a goal machine. Rich club Millwood City bought him on a so much down and so much per goal deal but he scored so many goals that the City were going bankrupt so they sold him back for a modest fee. The serial was so popular that it resurfaced in picture form in The Victor in 1962 as The Goals That Jackson Scored, and then in Scoop in 1980 as Gregson's Golden Goals.
The Victor version was drawn by Bert Vandeput and I think it may have been reprinted at a later date.

And indeed, both grounds are on Tannadice Street, although not quite next door to one another. However, a decent player can kick the ball from the entrance of one ground to the next as it is only 200 yards between both.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

colcool007 wrote:And indeed, both grounds are on Tannadice Street, although not quite next door to one another.
In Those Goals That Jackson Scored the two grounds are on opposite sides of the same street. It would not surprise me in the least if the fictional positioning is firmly based on that of the two grounds on Tannadice Street. Are you going to surprise me, Col? I don't know as I have never been to Dundee. I have been to Ayr for a week, during which I visited Troon, Prestwick, and Glasgow for a day each. I broke one journey to spend a couple of hours in Kilmarnock. That was a drab town. Oh, and I visited Rabbie Burns' house at Alloway. From the shop there I bought a CD called Peacetime by Eddi Reader, which contains Leezie Lindsay, a song that demands to be heard over and over again. And then some more. Just lovely!

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

They are indeed on opposite sides of Tannadice Street. However, if you imagine that the bottom right corner of Dens Road is on the left on the street at the top of the road and 200 yards down the road and on the right is where you find the top left corner of Tannadice Park.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

colcool007 wrote:
I have spent the last few days merging the Commando boxes together and found that I am 52 short of the 2,000 mark.
Col, don't know if you're interested but when I aquired my 3000+ Commando comics, I found that the 70l Really Useful under bed storage boxes very handily held about 1000 each. Really heavy to move once loaded but great to store.

http://www.viking-direct.co.uk/catalog/ ... GwodgI8BoA

I'm not saying Viking is cheapest, it was just the first link I found!