Would appreciate any help in identifying two 80s memories.

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

NYCApples

Would appreciate any help in identifying two 80s memories.

Post by NYCApples »

The first is so memorable I can't believe I've forgotten it! I was waiting in the sickroom at school in the 80s, loads of back-issues of girls comics available, and I read this whole story in one sitting. It seemed mostly photo-story but part drawing - about what I can only describe as a satanic cloaked, hooded figure with drawn in claws for arms and legs, and possibly connected to a coffin, and it was persecuting a girl - the whole thing seemed horrific, I was terrified and now I really wonder what I was reading, and if it was even that scary after all.

The second I think was from a bit earlier - definitely a girls comic, but maybe a text story, maybe even an article? All I can remember is that is was about (probably) two children in the 19th? 18th? century (both girls, or one boy and one girl?) who went to be hired at a Mop Fair, something I'd never heard of before, and they got separated.

Would really love to know if these ring a bell with anyone.

Phoenix
Guru

Re: Would appreciate any help in identifying two 80s memorie

Post by Phoenix »

I think you need to supply more information if possible, NYCApples, especially about when in the eighties you read this horror story. Think about how old you were at the time as this might help you, and therefore one of us, to situate it. Finally can you recall anything about any of the other serial stories in the comic because that information might also help us to identify it.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

There was a complete story in Tammy called "The Runaway Mop", which was indeed about two girls being separated at a mop fair. One girl was hired by a kind employer, the other by a cruel one. The latter was rescued with the help of her mop. It appeared in Tammy 16 October 1982.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

There was a photo story in Suzy about a girl named Jenny who was persecuted by a demon, and it was a horrible cloaked figure. I can't remember what the title was, but the demon was trying to snatch a little cradle from Jenny, which it was going to use to conquer the world. Jenny and her uncle were racing to get to consecrated ground, where the demon could not follow, and bury the cradle there. Maybe that's the horror story in question?

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

The serial in Suzy that you are referring to, Briony, is The Strange Story Of The Demon's Cradle. It started somewhere around 160 (Sep. 28 1985) and ran until 166 (Nov. 9 1985). The reason I am uncertain about its start date is because I noted that date down in the British Library during my visit to summarize Force Of Evil but for some reason I rubbed it out, although as my rubber was on the end of my pencil the information didn't completely disappear. However, for some reason, or a moment of carelessness, I didn't check further. I know it finished in 166 because not only did I note that down but also because I have that issue open on my desk at the appropriate point as I write.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Phoenix wrote:The serial in Suzy that you are referring to, Briony, is The Strange Story Of The Demon's Cradle. It started somewhere around 160 (Sep. 28 1985) and ran until 166 (Nov. 9 1985). The reason I am uncertain about its start date is because I noted that date down in the British Library during my visit to summarize Force Of Evil but for some reason I rubbed it out, although as my rubber was on the end of my pencil the information didn't completely disappear. However, for some reason, or a moment of carelessness, I didn't check further. I know it finished in 166 because not only did I note that down but also because I have that issue open on my desk at the appropriate point as I write.
Thank you for that information. The Strange Story of the Demon's Cradle could be the one our querent is looking for. If I remember right, the cloaked demon thing did have claws.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Tammyfan wrote:If I remember right, the cloaked demon thing did have claws.
Yes, he did. I've only got the last instalment but in the last picture but one, when the demon has realised that Jenny Jenkins has stepped onto the holy ground of the cathedral, he knows he has lost and just fades away. In the previous picture when he is calling out No! Come back. Give me my cradle! his stick-thin right arm is in the air and his hand looks like a skinny black claw.

P.S. The word querent should be querist.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

I think we've got them now: The Runaway Mop and The Strange Story of the Demon's Cradle.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

There you go, NYCApples. A bit of teamwork and job done! IPC and DCT under control.

NYCApples

Post by NYCApples »

Phoenix wrote:There you go, NYCApples. A bit of teamwork and job done! IPC and DCT under control.
Tammyfan wrote:I think we've got them now: The Runaway Mop and The Strange Story of the Demon's Cradle.
Thank you both so much! These are definitely what I was remembering, I'm absolutely thrilled. I remember the bits about the cradle and consecrated ground now. Wow! Amazing. Thank you again.