Rubi - Beano's first disabled character?

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

Digifiend

Rubi - Beano's first disabled character?

Post by Digifiend »

Is Rubi, from the new story Rubi's Screwtop Science that started a couple of weeks ago, Beano's first wheelchair user, and it's first character with a physical disability?

Phoenix
Guru

Re: Rubi - Beano's first disabled character?

Post by Phoenix »

Congratulations, Digi, on finally completing your collection of the Dandy Comic Library. It must be giving you great satisfaction. :cheers: The last time I looked you still needed twenty-three issues. I have had your Wants List in my wallet on my travels just on the offchance, but curiously the ones I have seen in secondhand shops, in Liverpool, Penzance and Truro mainly, have been predominantly in the low numbers, certainly none in the 200s or 300s. Perhaps Thomsons didn't print as many of the later numbers.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

have you actually completed the series digi or just found out title names ? if complete well done :D

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Digifiend wrote:Is Rubi, from the new story Rubi's Screwtop Science that started a couple of weeks ago, Beano's first wheelchair user, and it's first character with a physical disability?
I was never actually sure in Wilfred out of the Bash Street Kids was born without a neck

There was a poor guy in my primary school class who had this.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

big bad bri wrote:have you actually completed the series digi or just found out title names ? if complete well done :D
Just the names.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

So it's only the list of titles that you have completed, Digi. Could you not have been more proactive long enough since and rung Thomsons to ask for the list? When I was writing This Was The Wizard that's what I did when I was having great difficulty determining which players in the Famous British Footballers set of football photo cards issued in 1922, and those in the Signed Photos Of British Footballers set from later the same year, were issued only in England, or only in Scotland, or both. Calum Laird was extremely helpful.