Reprinted stories in Princess Mk.2

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

Tammyfan

Re: Reprinted stories in Princess Mk.2

Post by Tammyfan »

Phoenix wrote:
philcom55 wrote:Wasn't Rowena based on an existing character from Celtic mythology?
I can't answer that question either, Phil, as I have mislaid my book on Celtic myths. I have, seriously, I can see it clearly in my mind's eye, but I've no idea where I've put it. I've got books everywhere in this house, even in the kitchen as there are several on the table there. To be fair, apart from my first god-daughter, who was so christened, the only other Rowena I can bring to mind was a character in Ivanhoe. She was played in the film of the book by Elizabeth Taylor.
Maybe Google will yield some answers.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Funnily enough I'm now the proud owner of the first page of the first episode of Rowena as well! :) (Not my favourite Tammy strip by any means, but so little of the artwork has survived I couldn't resist it)

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

philcom55 wrote:Funnily enough I'm now the proud owner of the first page of the first episode of Rowena as well! :) (Not my favourite Tammy strip by any means, but so little of the artwork has survived I couldn't resist it)
Lucky you! :cheers:

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

On the subject of those acetate overlays I can't help wondering how many must have been needed every week for the full-colour covers of titles like Misty, Tammy, Jinty, etc. Compared to today's digital publishing methods they really do seem to be incredibly primitive!

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Beautiful daughter of Hengist and wife of Vortigern, king of the Britons.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Thanks Kashgar. I see she became something of a witch in later life as well: sounds as though the writer appropriated her name but little else. I can't help feeling the character still has a lot of unexplored potential if Rebellion ever decide to revive their recently-acquired properties in new stories.

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

philcom55 wrote:Having just treated myself to some more artwork for my birthday I thought one newly-acquired page from "Stefa's Heart Of Stone' provided a fascinating look at IPC's production techniques during the 1980s.
Very jealous at the idea of being able to buy lovely Phil Townsend work! Good for you.
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

If you're interested Comixminx I did pick up an extra Stefa page you're welcome to have for the price it cost me (though I'm not sure how much the postage would be as it's on stiff board and quite large). I'll scan it so you can see when I get chance.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Here's a nice detail. (I think this was from the third episode)

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

philcom55 wrote:If you're interested Comixminx I did pick up an extra Stefa page you're welcome to have for the price it cost me (though I'm not sure how much the postage would be as it's on stiff board and quite large). I'll scan it so you can see when I get chance.
Wow! A generous offer Phil and I do love Townsend art but I am a bit torn. Stefa is one of my least enjoyed stories, the tear-jerking puts me off! I do appreciate it but I will say no (though I realise I will almost certainly not get a better chance to get some Jinty artwork, and certainly never one for one of my favourite stories). Alas!
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

comixminx wrote:
philcom55 wrote:If you're interested Comixminx I did pick up an extra Stefa page you're welcome to have for the price it cost me (though I'm not sure how much the postage would be as it's on stiff board and quite large). I'll scan it so you can see when I get chance.
Wow! A generous offer Phil and I do love Townsend art but I am a bit torn. Stefa is one of my least enjoyed stories, the tear-jerking puts me off! I do appreciate it but I will say no (though I realise I will almost certainly not get a better chance to get some Jinty artwork, and certainly never one for one of my favourite stories). Alas!
Stefa was not one of my favourites either, though there were plenty of comments in Jinty's letter column that she was one of the most popular stories and there was a huge demand to repeat her story.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Although I haven't read Stefa's Heart Of Stone, that panel does seem to me to present the key moment that drives the serial. If I were a Jinty enthusiast I would certainly buy it. It would be impossible to get closer to the creative process.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Phoenix wrote:Although I haven't read Stefa's Heart Of Stone, that panel does seem to me to present the key moment that drives the serial. If I were a Jinty enthusiast I would certainly buy it. It would be impossible to get closer to the creative process.
I agree. Don't pass up the opportunity, even if the story is not one of your personal favourites.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

comixminx wrote:Wow! A generous offer Phil and I do love Townsend art but I am a bit torn. Stefa is one of my least enjoyed stories, the tear-jerking puts me off! I do appreciate it but I will say no (though I realise I will almost certainly not get a better chance to get some Jinty artwork, and certainly never one for one of my favourite stories). Alas!
No problem Comixminx. :) I picked that page for precisely the reason that Phoenix mentions so I'm happy to keep it in my own collection. There's no need to feel torn about your decision however: I only wanted you to know that it's there if you want it, and the offer will remain open if you ever change your mind.

Though I haven't read every episode my own feeling about the serial is that it started well (in spite of the tearful histrionics) setting up a very clever premise, but rather lost direction the longer it continued with Stefa's actions becoming increasingly mean-spirited and obnoxious as the melodramatic twists became ever more implausible. Nevertheless I do feel that Phil Townsend's art remained utterly wonderful throughout; I'm particularly impressed by the way in which he drew faces, capturing subtle changes of emotion with apparent ease yet always ensuring that each character, however minor, was quite unique and instantly identifiable (I wonder if he used a lot of models?). It really is a shame we know so little about him.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

philcom55 wrote:
comixminx wrote:Wow! A generous offer Phil and I do love Townsend art but I am a bit torn. Stefa is one of my least enjoyed stories, the tear-jerking puts me off! I do appreciate it but I will say no (though I realise I will almost certainly not get a better chance to get some Jinty artwork, and certainly never one for one of my favourite stories). Alas!
No problem Comixminx. :) I picked that page for precisely the reason that Phoenix mentions so I'm happy to keep it in my own collection. There's no need to feel torn about your decision however: I only wanted you to know that it's there if you want it, and the offer will remain open if you ever change your mind.

Though I haven't read every episode my own feeling about the serial is that it started well (in spite of the tearful histrionics) setting up a very clever premise, but rather lost direction the longer it continued with Stefa's actions becoming increasingly mean-spirited and obnoxious as the melodramatic twists became ever more implausible. Nevertheless I do feel that Phil Townsend's art remained utterly wonderful throughout; I'm particularly impressed by the way in which he drew faces, capturing subtle changes of emotion with apparent ease yet always ensuring that each character, however minor, was quite unique and instantly identifiable (I wonder if he used a lot of models?). It really is a shame we know so little about him.
This is the reason why Stefa is not one of my favourites. She became increasingly unsympathetic with her stupid, selfish, hard-hearted behaviour, and nothing seemed to get through to her at all. It was her parents and Ruth I felt sorry for.