Political cartoon back in Evening Standard

Discuss any comic strip that has appeared in a newspaper over the years. Andy Capp, Rupert, Hagar, Fudge etc

Moderator: AndyB

stevezodiac

Political cartoon back in Evening Standard

Post by stevezodiac »

Since George Osborne took over as Editor of the Evening Standard he has brought back the political cartoon and I have collected every one so far. Recently there was an article on the subject which I attach here.

https://ibb.co/kQJzca

https://ibb.co/iwX33F

koollectablz

Re: Political cartoon back in Evening Standard

Post by koollectablz »

That was very interesting, cheers for posting that :cheers:

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

stevezodiac wrote:Since George Osborne took over as Editor of the Evening Standard he has brought back the political cartoon and I have collected every one so far. Recently there was an article on the subject which I attach here.

https://ibb.co/kQJzca

https://ibb.co/iwX33F
Very interesting. Thanks for that!

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I once applied to the Standard as a Political Cartoonist on spec--they seemed to think I had potential but they had more than enough cartoonists on their books at that point.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

In fact, I kept the letter I got from the Standard: it was in 2001, a period I was trying out all sorts of different stuff.

I still have the cartoons here somewhere, if I find them I will add them@

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg2/ ... %20001.jpg

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I hadn't realised this cartoonist drew for my local paper the Southwark News. He drew a cartoon tribute to Roy Larner the Millwall fan who thought all three knifemen at London Bridge single handedly. The cartoon was reproduced in part on the cover.

I should point out re the quote "we are Bermondsey people..." Rotherhithe and Bermondsey was heavily bombed in the second world war and that sort of thing toughens people up. My mum was bombed out of two homes.
Attachments
lion heart 2.jpg
lion heart 1.jpg

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

The style here reminds me of wartime artist LOW a bit and nothing wrong with that!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Article in last night's Standa
Attachments
standard cartoonist.jpg

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

stevezodiac wrote:Standa
Did you nod off, Steve, while writing this post? Furthermore, I think that necklace is way too loose.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I was in my storage unit last Thursday and lost my footing. Putting my hand out to break my fall I damaged my middle finger which is now in a splint (after fours hours in A&E). Its a lot better now but still in a splint so crosswords and suduko are off the menu.

So my typing skills have also suffered. I had to go back and make several corrections to this message.

My storage company has decided to close its Deptford unit and relocate our stuff to Old Kent Road so I have been busy bagging up loads of comics for easier carriage by the people doing the move. I am very nervous, though, about a bunch of strangers handling my periodicals (as anyone would be).

Finding a lot of stuff to put on ebay though.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Very sorry to hear about your accident, Steve, but it sounds as if the finger will soon recover. I have heard of the Old Kent Road although as far as I can recall I've never been there. It is on my Monopoly board though, not that I've played it recently. It shouldn't be too long before my grandchildren Lois and Alex will be able to cope with the game. So far we just play the card game Speed or the board game Sorry, both great favourites during my childhood. With any luck it shouldn't be too long before I'm living down in Cornwall, at which point we will be able to do so more often. The Estate Agents have already taken photographs of the outside of my house, both gardens, and four rooms. Before they can do the other four I need to empty them temporarily one at a time and put the contents into the lounge. This simply means that the photographer will have to come back four times, which obviously he is perfectly willing to do. Fortunately they are not bothered about my moving anything that is in box files on shelves but the many piles of loose story papers upstairs will have to step up to the plate and get themselves downstairs. They have not so far shown any willingness to do that so I suppose I shall have to do it for them. :)

Update:- I haven't even had any viewers yet. I might still be in the house come Christmas. :(

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Five months after taking on Christian Adams the London Evening Standard now has a weekly cartoon each Friday by Gerald Scarfe. Here is his first plus an editorial comment:

Attachments
scarfe 2.jpg
scarfe 3.jpg

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

From last night's Evening Standard:

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

There was a review of the Peanuts exhibition at Somerset House in last night's Evening Standard, written by their cartoonist Christian Adams. With this in mind his daily cartoon was a pastiche of a Peanuts strip. Apologies for poor resolution.