Ebay sales: Good price for the seller, buyer or both??

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Adam Eterno

Re: Ebay sales: Good price for the seller, buyer or both??

Post by Adam Eterno »

Lew Stringer wrote:
Adam Eterno wrote:For anyone after a massive number of Battle comics: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Battle-Comics ... SwdjNZGcZv
They might fetch a bit more if the seller showed the actual comics instead of the tatty carrier bags they're in. :lol:
Big Bri's favourite seller hannah11zoe bought them in the end so you'll see them up for £10 each very soon!

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Adam Eterno wrote:
Lew Stringer wrote:
Adam Eterno wrote:For anyone after a massive number of Battle comics: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Battle-Comics ... SwdjNZGcZv
They might fetch a bit more if the seller showed the actual comics instead of the tatty carrier bags they're in. :lol:
Big Bri's favourite seller hannah11zoe bought them in the end so you'll see them up for £10 each very soon!
i was going to bid on them until i saw it was collection only, but how i wish i did just to stick it to them :lol:

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Adam Eterno wrote:Big Bri's favourite seller hannah11zoe bought them in the end so you'll see them up for £10 each very soon!
I'm sure you meant to write £30, Adam? H11Z simply don't do cheap. Furthermore, I would be very interested to learn just how many comics, or other items, they have actually sold this year. Their prices always suggest to me that they are really not all that interested in parting with anything.

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Phoenix wrote:
Adam Eterno wrote:Big Bri's favourite seller hannah11zoe bought them in the end so you'll see them up for £10 each very soon!
I'm sure you meant to write £30, Adam? H11Z simply don't do cheap. Furthermore, I would be very interested to learn just how many comics, or other items, they have actually sold this year. Their prices always suggest to me that they are really not all that interested in parting with anything.
I wonder why they are buying comics at all, when they apparently have 10,000 up in their loft?

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Phoenix wrote:
I'm pretty sure they do have that elusive issue of a title some of us crave and we may well begrudgingly pay the £10-£30 they seem to crave.i think i paid £8 -10 of an issue i needed from them .granted it did show up for like 99p a fortnight later :lol:

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Phoenix wrote:I'm sure you meant to write £30, Adam? H11Z simply don't do cheap. Furthermore, I would be very interested to learn just how many comics, or other items, they have actually sold this year. Their prices always suggest to me that they are really not all that interested in parting with anything.
They have 2000+ trades on Ebay in the last year although at least 10-20% of those are vinyl. Interestingly, 99% of the comics that they've sold are for less than £15. I've come across them buying a few large lots on the cheap including silly offers on some lots I've sold which have been automatically rejected as they were embarrassingly low.

As Bri says though, sometimes you REALLY want that odd comic and that's what they aim for. They're definitely not just selling an old collection! I must admit that I now just ignore all of their listings.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Why are they charging £9.50 postage if it is collection in person only?

Invoice
Get up out of chair £2.50
Walk to front door £3.00
Open front door £1.00
Pass heavy bag to buyer and indulge in uncomfortable small talk £3.00

Total £9.50

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Not a bad price for such an Iconic comic. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/292131781786? ... 1758.m4704

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

I'll do the whole of Volume one and two for £250!

Re: the Hannahzoe seller, it can be frustrating seeing that one comic you desperately need priced ridiculously high compared to other sellers, but tbh its their stuff they can price how they like. I would also add that whenever I've had cause to contact them, its always been unfailingly polite and helpful, last week I pointed out that three of their issues had missing pages, they changed them all within minutes.

Plenty of sellers would have just ignored me and sold to an unsuspecting buyer.

So yea, pricey but such is life.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

koollectablz wrote:
Re: the Hannahzoe seller, it can be frustrating seeing that one comic you desperately need priced ridiculously high compared to other sellers, but tbh its their stuff they can price how they like. I would also add that whenever I've had cause to contact them, its always been unfailingly polite and helpful, last week I pointed out that three of their issues had missing pages, they changed them all within minutes.

Plenty of sellers would have just ignored me and sold to an unsuspecting buyer.

So yea, pricey but such is life.
I understand what you're saying but I suppose my axe is that it's collectors that he's targeting and the offers he's made for some of my comics have been embarrassingly low. I have no problem with a mark-up but some of his are just silly. After saying that, it's still my choice whether I buy or not!

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Another good price achieved for Whizzer & Chips #1: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WHIZZER-AND-C ... true&rt=nc

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

koollectablz wrote:last week I pointed out that three of their issues had missing pages, they changed them all within minutes.
That happened to me a few years back, koollectablz. I'd bought a lot of issues of Bunty from them, and several of them lacked pages. As in your case, the inevitable complaint resulted immediately in replacements free of charge, and the suggestion that I bin the culprits rather than return them. It seems to me that their modus operandi is to fulfil orders without checking the items for completeness before packaging them, so placing the decision to accept or return the items squarely on the buyer. I think this is unacceptable. If I were selling comics I would check every one thoroughly before advertising them, as I imagine most dealers do automatically. As far as I'm aware I now have all the comics I need for my current and future projects, but if I need to read any instalments of serials where I have gaps, at least I know that I can go and consult the issues in the relevant bound volumes in the British Library. So no more hannah11zoe for me!

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

Phoenix wrote:
koollectablz wrote:last week I pointed out that three of their issues had missing pages, they changed them all within minutes.
That happened to me a few years back, koollectablz. I'd bought a lot of issues of Bunty from them, and several of them lacked pages. As in your case, the inevitable complaint resulted immediately in replacements free of charge, and the suggestion that I bin the culprits rather than return them. It seems to me that their modus operandi is to fulfil orders without checking the items for completeness before packaging them, so placing the decision to accept or return the items squarely on the buyer. I think this is unacceptable. If I were selling comics I would check every one thoroughly before advertising them, as I imagine most dealers do automatically. As far as I'm aware I now have all the comics I need for my current and future projects, but if I need to read any instalments of serials where I have gaps, at least I know that I can go and consult the issues in the relevant bound volumes in the British Library.
Ah right, yeah that is a pain. I sell very regularly on eBay and I must admit I check every single issue I sell, it is just an absolute pet hate to think you've finally acquired an issue you want only to have it arrive incomplete. I didn't know they had 'form' in that regard.

On the same subject there was a guy selling a full run of first and second series TV21 a couple months ago for an ok price that I was interested in so I asked if they were all complete, he wrote back kind of bluntly to say he was sure they were as he'd checked around 20... I wrote back and asked him to check some specific issues (notorious for coupon cutouts), turns out that over 2/3 of them had cutouts...

Yeah it's annoying and takes ages to check every page in every issue, but rather that than have to refund and accept returns.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

i find roy of the rovers one of the worst culprits for missing pages etc as i have loads of incomplete issues im going to chuck out.as in no way would sell them to anyone. i have had to buy same issue 2 or 3 times.i check the page count now of every comic i buy and do complain about missing centre spreads etc. i say to myself i need 3 copies of rotr to complete the set although i do have 2 of those but with missing back page or centre poster missing,so need 3 :lol:

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

big bad bri wrote:i find roy of the rovers one of the worst culprits for missing pages etc as i have loads of incomplete issues im going to chuck out.as in no way would sell them to anyone. i have had to buy same issue 2 or 3 times.i check the page count now of every comic i buy and do complain about missing centre spreads etc. i say to myself i need 3 copies of rotr to complete the set although i do have 2 of those but with missing back page or centre poster missing,so need 3 :lol:

I've found that old Battle comics sometimes have pages missing. Sellers who say "no free gifts" are sometimes talking about the cut-out booklets or centrespread posters. I never thought anyone would be daft enough to think they were free as they were part of the comic but it seems some were fooled!

I managed to get a part-refund on the damaged issues and replaced them from other sellers.

On the whole, I've noticed that comics from the 1970s can be in terrible condition; dirty, stained, creased, but pre-70s comics are usually better looked after. I'm wondering if it's because earlier generations cherished what they had more because times were harder.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/