The Beano Book 1940 Facsimile

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

Phoenix
Guru

Re: The Beano Book 1940 Facsimile

Post by Phoenix »

dandy mad wrote:It is actually possible to get a 1942 original for less than 120 notes as this car crash is living proof just about the price I hear you ask? £5 but it's gonna take a lot of work to bring this back from the brink....
The one on eBay went for £180.

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

The seller did well getting £180 for it

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

I recently won this in the summer compal comics auction unlike the portfolio edition reprint this is full size with plain white back cover and the Whoopee Hank this book belongs to illustration on the fly page the auction blurb stated it was produced by DCT themselves in 2004 and only a small number where produced. This reprint has the same card like paper like the original and actually feels like the real deal unlike the portfolio edition which is much smaller and slimmer in comparison
image.jpeg

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

As far as I understood it, that was an unauthorised reproduction? The production of which actually lead to Thomsons producing their own to try and stop people cashing in on illegal reprints.

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

The portfolio editions reprint was an autorised product as the then Beano editor Euan Kerr signed all the limited edition certificates that came with the book. The one I won in the compal comics auction is also an authorised book being published by DCT themselves and only 5 where produced of the 1940 annual they also produced full size facsimiles of the Beano Book 1941-42 and Magic Beano Books 1943-50. I have been told the full size reproductions where for in house use only but some managed to make it into the public domain whether or not this is true I do not know

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

koollectablz wrote:As far as I understood it, that was an unauthorised reproduction? The production of which actually led to Thomsons producing their own to try and stop people cashing in on illegal reprints.
You don't say, koollectablz, whether Thomsons took the unauthorised reproducer to court or not. They would have had every right to do so, plus the necessary financial clout, and would surely have won their case anyway. A significant fine for misappropriation of copyright material could well have put the unauthorised reproducer permanently out of business. For the record, as my pocket and I didn't feel the need to acquire an original, my copy is the one produced by portfolio editions.

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

Size compatrison the portfolio editions eprint top the DC Thomson reprint bottom and I must admit the DCT reprint looks authentic and the portfolio editions version is way off beam with the colour reproduction
image.jpeg

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

Back boards and why the portfolio editions is yellow is a mystery to me
image.jpeg

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

dandy mad wrote:Back boards and why the portfolio editions is yellow is a mystery to me
Well the plain yellow rear cover does at least match the yellow on the front cover, and there is also a fair amount of yellow on the narrow illustration on the spine.

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

More inaccuracies
image.jpeg

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

DCT are producing their own personalised Beano book reprints from 1940-2013 for a reasonable £19.99
https://shop.beano.com/personalised-bea ... -year.html

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

If only one person wanted, say, the 1958 Beano book would it be financially viable to have one copy run off the presses? Or is it no longer done that way?

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

They're print to order and personalised (you can add a greeting when ordering, it seems these are a couple of pages longer than the originals as a result). That's why it's £20 and not £8 like the current annuals.

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

I got the 1941 Beano book and it’s better than expected none of the original text has been altered as it is basically a straight scan from the original. The only niggle is that there is no Ping the elastic man on the spine illustration but that’s me just being critical all in all a brilliant reprint and if you don’t want to pay £0000s for an original then this is more than a better alternative.