The Silent Majority/Minority?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

philcom55

Re: The Silent Majority/Minority?

Post by philcom55 »

As there are currently 46 users online to the Comics UK forum, of which myself and three 'bots' are the only registered members, I assume that silent readers must vastly outnumber those of us who ever post anything.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

i started posting here maybe 10 years ago i've lost count ,when i visited ken's book palace warehouse regularly near crystal palace somewhere. and always went home with piles of ipc/fleetway humour comics,i would have a lot more and near complete collections if they still did back issues of comics.i know they sold that part of the business on but have no clue as to what the purchaser did with those 1000s comics they bought.Not that i have much to contribute as i'm clueless when it comes to artists etc and i'm glad we have such esteemed contributors such as phoenix ,Kashgar ,lew etc. who between them are a wealth of knowledge and experts in this field we all love.

SID

Post by SID »

big bad bri wrote:i started posting here maybe 10 years ago i've lost count ,when i visited ken's book palace warehouse regularly near crystal palace somewhere. and always went home with piles of ipc/fleetway humour comics,i would have a lot more and near complete collections if they still did back issues of comics.i know they sold that part of the business on but have no clue as to what the purchaser did with those 1000s comics they bought.Not that i have much to contribute as i'm clueless when it comes to artists etc and i'm glad we have such esteemed contributors such as phoenix ,Kashgar ,lew etc. who between them are a wealth of knowledge and experts in this field we all love.
I went there one or two times. Correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to remember that they bought the comic line from Norman Shaw after he had died (though they didn't have the stock that Norman had)? Didn't know that they had sold it on though.
Last edited by SID on 24 Jul 2017, 07:19, edited 1 time in total.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

they got rid of all comic i think to concentrate on books etc as i went there a few years ago hoping to buy more and was told the bad news buy another guy who worked in the warehouse but his name eludes me now.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

colcool007 wrote:For me, it was starting on this site and 26pigs. Then I got a few articles published in Crikey! Then it was a couple of articles for Down The Tubes and now I run my wee blog and try to add to the comics knowledge out there.

You need to put a link to your "wee blog" so everyone can enjoy it!

standby4action

Post by standby4action »

I started reading comics illicitly as my eldest brother didn't want grubby little hands getting hold of his DC comics! But then I remember getting TV21 #1 in '2065' and how excited I was as it wasn't his, it was mine!

My first interaction with fandom was via Doug Gifford's "Thing" fanzine where he accepted some of my letters but sensibly none of my art scratchings! I then found Fantasy Advertiser, Comic Media Showcase etc etc. Since then my interest in Frank Bellamy and Raymond Sheppard has led to my helping add to information on both artists for others and also a few introductions to actual books(!)

I love seeing places like this that add to knowledge and think Al should get a medal for facilitating it!

Oh, and I run a blog or two... sporadically!
:wave:
Norman (Boyd, not Shaw, or Wright!)

Frank Bellamy Checklist Blog
Raymond Sheppard Blog

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Well Norman, there's a coincidence. A couple of the Americans on CB+ expressed interest in Mr Bellamy's work. They had some examples and wanted more info. I searched the internet and found your excellent site and I'm just on the point of posting the link in case they want a shufty. Thanks for doing all that excellent work.

standby4action

Post by standby4action »

paw broon wrote:Well Norman, there's a coincidence. A couple of the Americans on CB+ expressed interest in Mr Bellamy's work. They had some examples and wanted more info. I searched the internet and found your excellent site and I'm just on the point of posting the link in case they want a shufty. Thanks for doing all that excellent work.
Carry on Paw! That's why I did the website and blog (oh and Facebook page!). I'm always pleased to see how much is out there now. And I still have more to share!!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

big bad bri wrote:ken's book palace warehouse (regularly) near crystal palace somewhere.
It was in Gipsy Hill. Norman Shaw lived in Belvedere Road in Upper Norwood. If you got off the train at Crystal Palace you weren't really that far from either.