'Boxer Slave'

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

philcom55

'Boxer Slave'

Post by philcom55 »

Here's another Greek version of a British sporting strip that Nikos has sent me. Can anybody recognize the artist, or say where it originally appeared? In this case he says the title can be roughly translated as 'Boxer Slave'.
Attachments
slave.jpg

Kashgar
Guru

Re: 'Boxer Slave'

Post by Kashgar »

The artist looks like Keith Shone, Phil. It certainly looks like a Thomson's strip from the 1970's or 1980's. I'll have a check.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Kashgar wrote:The artist looks like Keith Shone, Phil. It certainly looks like a Thomson's strip from the 1970's or 1980's. I'll have a check.
I think it's Slave of the Ring from The Wizard (1970) or a remake of it.
https://lewstringer.blogspot.co.uk/2016 ... -1970.html

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Sounds about right Lew. I'll have a check unless someone beats me to it. Keith Shone certainly did work for the Wizard.

chrisb

Post by chrisb »

Lew was right, it is a remake of Wizards "Slave of the Ring". It appeared in Victor, issues 953 26/05/1979 to 973 13/10/1979 with art, as Kashgar said, by Keith Shone.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

That's excellent detective work everyone - I'm sure Nikos will be delighted. Shone was a marvellous artist wasn't he? For some reason I tend not to think of him working into the 1970s; does anyone know when he drew his last strip?

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

philcom55 wrote:That's excellent detective work everyone - I'm sure Nikos will be delighted. Shone was a marvellous artist wasn't he? For some reason I tend not to think of him working into the 1970s; does anyone know when he drew his last strip?
It is Commando 3102 Lucky Lenny from 1997. When the work starting drying up from the weeklies, he started to get Commando scripts to illustrate and notched up a respectable 103 issues from 1986 to 1997 when he retired.

He can now be found haring around his beloved Snowdonia on two wheels as he continues to use his motorbike to capture the changing moods of the landscape with his ever increasingly distinctive style of art. I am allowed to call, but only when the light is bad
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Nikos Nikolaidis

Post by Nikos Nikolaidis »

philcom55 wrote:That's excellent detective work everyone - I'm sure Nikos will be delighted. Shone was a marvellous artist wasn't he? For some reason I tend not to think of him working into the 1970s; does anyone know when he drew his last strip?
Many thanks to all of you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :) :D

Nikos Nikolaidis

Lew Stringer wrote:
Kashgar wrote:The artist looks like Keith Shone, Phil. It certainly looks like a Thomson's strip from the 1970's or 1980's. I'll have a check.
I think it's Slave of the Ring from The Wizard (1970) or a remake of it.
https://lewstringer.blogspot.co.uk/2016 ... -1970.html
Many thanks for this, too! I found out another great story inside The Wizard that was reprinted in Greece. This was "The Voice that Ran the Rangers" :o :) :D

Nikos Nikolaidis

philcom55 wrote:Here's another Greek version of a British sporting strip that Nikos has sent me. Can anybody recognize the artist, or say where it originally appeared? In this case he says the title can be roughly translated as 'Boxer Slave'.
Sorry but I've just seen your post Phil, many-many thanks for it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nikos Nikolaidis

Thanks very much for this great info !!!