Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Yvonne Hutton 

Well, this is turning out to very interesting. As I said, I'm not too good with artist spotting, but I knew some of you are. It hadn't crossed my mind before that they wouldn't be by Yvonne. I will let her daughter know this. I think I have recounted this tale somewhere before, but she has told me that her mum used to get them to pose in the kitchen so she could sketch them and turn the sketches into finished frames of footballers heading the ball and tackling etc.
I have always been wanting to ask her more, but I don't like to as I don't want to bring up the past too often, although she is always ok when I do. I just don't like upsetting people really, although ,I guess if it were me, I would be very proud of my mother.

Darren.

13 Apr 2018, 16:04

Kashgar wrote:
Hi Darren,
Interesting art examples by Eric Bradbury and Joe Colquhoun. I think these were probably sent to Yvonne as test pieces for her to copy to see exactly where her strengths and weaknesses as an artist lay. BTW the Eric Bradbury 'Maxwell Hawke' page is from Buster dated 16th Jan 1965 and was part of the series ' Maxwell Hawke and the Phantom Zombie'.

Crikey! You're right, Ray! Serves me right for squinting at them on a tablet instead of my Mac. And isn't the page with the planes by Geoff Campion?

13 Apr 2018, 18:04
Profile WWW

I remember Dave Gibbons saying that when he first approached Fleetway they showed him some pages by Bradbury and Campion and asked if he could produce work like theirs.

13 Apr 2018, 18:18
Guru

Yes Lew, both Battler Britton pages are by Geoff Campion and were originally printed in Knockout. The first one is from Knockout dated 4th Mar 1961 and the second from the issue dated 10th Dec 1960.

13 Apr 2018, 19:48
Guru

Lew Stringer wrote:
Crikey! You're right, Ray!
Of course Ray's right, Lew. Why are you surprised? He's a guru.

13 Apr 2018, 22:29

Looking at today's front pages on Sky News website I see the "I" has an article about female cartoonists. My first memory of a female cartoonist was Sally Artz in the Sun.

23 Apr 2018, 10:47
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2