Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
When did The Happy Days End? 

I have been trying to find out when The Happy Days series came to an end.

I have come across two different stories. The first is that the original series continued in Princess Tina right up until the merger with Pink. Another series that appeared in Pixie ran in tandem with Princess Tina, and was made up of reprints. The other story is that there was only one series, which was transferred from Princess Tina to Pixie. In either event, the series did not survive the end of Princess Tina and Pixie.

One problem I’ve had is finding out exactly when Princess Tina ended. The merger with Pink seems to have happened somewhere around January – March 1974, but it looks as if Princess Tina may have changed significantly before then. Its name was changed from Princess Tina to Tina around January 1973, and later in the same year there seems to have been some makeover in the content - Purita Campos’ covers were discarded in favour of glossy pop star photos (and a fair bit of pop star content) which don’t look at all like Princess Tina’s usual style. If this means that the comic was revamped for an older readership, I wonder if The Happy Days survived the change – it would have looked rather out of place in a Pink-style comic.

I also wonder whether the Pixie series were reprints. Andrew Wilson’s style developed quite a lot over the years, and in a run of reprints such as you get in some annuals and specials, you normally see these changes reflected in the mix of stories. The Pixie stories all seem to be drawn in the same style. They also use a distinctive header for each episode (including a story title) which is quite different from the headers used in Princess Tina. This doesn’t prove anything either way (as the stories could easily have been reformatted for Pixie), but to my eyes it makes them look more like originals than reprints.

When and where did The Happy Days come to an end? Does anybody know the answer?

01 Sep 2018, 18:35
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]